Any advice for being home alone with anxiety?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ExoMuseum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2014, 8:09 am

I'm going to stay at my aunts house next week while she's on vacation, so I'll live by myself and take care of her dog and kittens, but I'm really scared of the dark and stuff and I usually can't sleep in unfamiliar places so what should I do with this fear of being murdered or something?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 8:53 am

Focus on something else that you are really interested in. Distract yourself from the thoughts and they won't bother you. Also get plenty of exercise during the day--good circulation and muscular activity can really help to stabilize emotional regulation and anxiety.

Other things that might help: create a really positive atmosphere by surrounding yourself with things that you really enjoy. Meditation. Deliberate focused attention on positive things.

Keep a light on.

Good luck!

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2014, 8:56 am

Will your aunt allow you to have a friend come over with you?

Watch some favorite movies (not scary ones!) Having some sound from the radio or TV can make it feel like you are not alone.

Do you drive? It will be helpful to get out of the house, too. Call your parents or a friend at night. Obviously, you'll have to go to bed at some point, but talking as late as you can would help. Also being online chatting with people.

Keep a light on in the hallway or the bathroom. Snuggle with one of the pets if they are up for it.

You don't have to sleep in a bed if you don't want to. The couch might make you feel more comfortable with the surroundings. This might make you feel like you have more ability to escape in an emergency.

You can always keep a kitchen knife within reach... :wink:

I did some housesitting/petsitting when I was younger and had some anxiety over it, too.

ChameleonKeys
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2014, 9:18 am

Take a few comforts from home with you, so the environment feels more familiar and safe. Keep to any routines you normally have, as best you can. Familiarity will probably help a bit to reassure you that not everything is strange and scary. Things like your own pillow, blanket, a stuffed toy if you own any might help. Take some books or a device to access your interests do distract you and make you feel better.

If you're scared of the dark (me too) then keep a light on. Experiment before it gets late to find out which lights you prefer and learn where the switches are so you don't panic trying to find them if you get up in the night. Familiarise yourself with the rest of the place, if you don't already know it well.

General safety like locking doors and windows and checking in with someone like a family member, friend, or even people you talk to online like here might all help to reassure you that you're safe and all is well. Keep your phone where you can get it.

Before she leaves ask your aunt if there is anything weird that might give you a fright like a tree that scrapes on a window or a neighbour who works shifts and come home at a weird time or animals that scuttle on the roof. That way you're prepared if something unexpected happens and you will know, it's just the tree that needs trimming or a small animal. Also ask about the pets' habits - Do they run about in the night or sleep peacefully. Do they scratch or get into things? Something that sounds like a burglar in the night might be a playful kitten who can't sleep! If you know a kitten or the dog does something regularly then you'll know what to check to put your mind at ease a little so you can rest. Also ask if your Aunt is expecting anyone like a courier, tradesperson or anything else, so if someone comes to the door you might have some idea who it might be already and can make a decision about opening it or not.

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2014, 10:18 am

In my case, watching a show that I like on DVD helps. I would try to avoid television because there are things on there that make me feel even more scared and alone: most reality shows, and so on. I would recommend having a marathon of a show that you like that can be easy to watch, and doesn't show any distress that is too realistic, but balance things out, and find some ways and reasons to leave the house to meet with someone.

Did your aunt let any trustworthy neighbours know that you will be alone? I think that if someone is alone at seventeen years old, there should be someone who knows to make sure that this person is okay.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 1:49 am

Very much what chameleon said :)... Also if you have headphones or dont mind wearing headphones you could take those awell and some music, also if access to internet, playing some board games of sorts like chess and backgammon on yahoo etc might be a good distraction and to pass the time, or research a subject you enjoy or watch a lighthearted program.. I have to admit i do like one program in particular its lighthearted and can be funny and always makes me feel calm, its ""Impractical Jokers"", its US based and the lads are lighthearted and do a few funny things.. Worth a look up for anyone i think, if anyone checks it out, would like your feedback on how you felt watching it, if it made you feel a little calmer or not? :)

JeanES
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2016, 1:58 am

Take your pillows/blankets from home for the distinct smell.

Sleep in the place in that house where you feel safest - bed, couch, bathtub, closet floor, whatever.

It's likely that each uneventful night in the house will lessen your anxiety and increase your comfort.

...you could also Home Alone the bejesus outta that house.
Cuz if nothing else, creating elaborate booby traps will keep you occupied and probably wear you out a bit physically :ninja:

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 4:34 pm

When you're feeling scared, close your eyes and breathe slowly, focusing on the way your breath feels. Count your breaths - in, out, 1, in, out, 2, in, out, 3, in, out, 4, and then restart at 1. If you think of something else, just notice that thought and then focus back on your breathing. That works for me.