What is the difference between NT introvert and an aspie?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lazamb_girl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2012, 3:00 pm

Hi
I recently discovered about asperger's and I suspect I have it. I have also been reading a lot about it.
I do get the diagnosis criteria acc. to DSM-IV and so on.

I am curious as to what the difference in terms of thought process/behavior between introverted NTs and those with aspergers/High functioning Autism.My MBTI personality type is INTJ. Is there a correlation between aspie and the MBTI personality type? My search yielded independent info or publications about these 2. I would really appreciate if you can give me some supporting material or if you can educate me with your experiences.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2012, 3:04 pm

I have always thought that introverted NTs could still read and respond to non verbal cues, andalso pick up on social nuances that Aspies cannot.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

Someone who is introverted merely feels more at ease alone and becomes stressed or exhausted when interacting with people.

An Aspergian has a full range of autistic traits (stereotyped behavior, lack of social give and take, non-verbal communication difficulties, obsessively focused interested, etc.)

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2012, 3:12 pm

There is a correlation between AS and introversion, but AS differs from introversion.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:15 pm

Have you checked out intjforum.com? It is full of people with the INTJ personality type according to the MBTI personality test.

Some people there say that they understand social stuff and can put on social masks and are good at making the impression that they want to make and such. But due to their personality, they don't like to socialize or find socializing a boring inane activity. I ackshuly find them and their discussions rather boring, so I don't visit much. Also, the most popular subforum there is still "Relationships and Dating".

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Have you checked out intjforum.com? It is full of people with the INTJ personality type according to the MBTI personality test.

Some people there say that they understand social stuff and can put on social masks and are good at making the impression that they want to make and such. But due to their personality, they don't like to socialize or find socializing a boring inane activity. I ackshuly find them and their discussions rather boring, so I don't visit much. Also, the most popular subforum there is still "Relationships and Dating".

Hey! Some of us introverted Aspies are INTP!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:27 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Hey! Some of us introverted Aspies are INTP!

There is also personalitycafe.com forums. That site includes all the MBTI personality types.

Most autistic people seem to score as INTJ or INTP on the MBTI. I don't really buy into that whole personality theory though. I have problems taking that test too. I don't know what to answer to most of the questions. All of them could go either way in different situations.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2012, 3:28 pm

my knowledge goes back to my psychology of personality classes and my overall diagnostic training in school so i have not gone hunting on the world wide web for the information i am about to share, but i am sure it must be in a jung text somewhere or compilations that reflect his studies, such as text books.

introverts prefer not to socialize. this does not mean that they find socializing any more difficult than an extrovert. introverts may actually be quite good at socializing, they would just rather not.

on the other hand, it has been the case with me that when i want to socialize (such as go on a date, in group situations at work, after i have been shut in and desire a friend to come over) i still find socializing to be challenging.

i am an intj, but ill bet the myers briggs has not been normed for people on the spectrum. meaning the test may give us a good generalization but the results may be more beneficial for NTs.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

Straight from the source:

Quote:
Normal variant of personality

All the features that characterise Asperger syndrome can be found in varying degrees in the normal population. People differ in their levels of skill in social interaction and in their ability to read nonverbal social cues. There is an equally wide distribution in motor skills. Many who are capable and independent as adults have special interests that they pursue with marked enthusiasm. Collecting objects such as stamps, old glass bottles, or railway engine numbers are socially accepted hobbies. Asperger (1979) pointed out that the capacity to withdraw into an inner world of one's own special interests is available in a greater or lesser measure to all human beings. He emphasised that this ability has to be present to marked extent in those who are creative artists or scientists. The difference between someone with Asperger syndrome and the normal person who has a complex inner world is that the latter does take part appropriately in two-way social interaction at times, while the former does not. Also, the normal person, however elaborate his inner world, is influenced by his social experiences, whereas the person with Asperger syndrome seems cut off from the effects of outside contacts.

A number of normal adults have outstandingly good rote memories and even retain eidetic imagery into adult life. Pedantic speech and a tendency to take things literally can also be found in normal people.

It is possible that some people could be classified as suffering from Asperger syndrome because they are at the extreme end of the normal continuum on all these features. In others, one particular aspect may be so marked that it affects the whole of their functioning. The man described by Luria (1965), whose visual memories of objects and events were so vivid and so permanent that they interfered with his comprehension of their significance, seemed to have behaved not unlike someone with Asperger syndrome. Unfortunately, Luria did not give enough details to allow a diagnosis to be made.

Even though Asperger syndrome does appear to merge into the normal continuum, there are many cases in whom the problems are so marked that the suggestion of a distinct pathology seems a more plausible explanation than a variant of normality.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

muff wrote:
my knowledge goes back to my psychology of personality classes and my overall diagnostic training in school so i have not gone hunting on the world wide web for the information i am about to share, but i am sure it must be in a jung text somewhere or compilations that reflect his studies, such as text books.

introverts prefer not to socialize. this does not mean that they find socializing any more difficult than an extrovert. introverts may actually be quite good at socializing, they would just rather not.

on the other hand, it has been the case with me that when i want to socialize (such as go on a date, in group situations at work, after i have been shut in and desire a friend to come over) i still find socializing to be challenging.

i am an intj, but ill bet the myers briggs has not been normed for people on the spectrum. meaning the test may give us a good generalization but the results may be more beneficial for NTs.

i thought introverts enjoyed socializing, but in lesser quantities than extroverts due to being overstimulated more easily. apparently introverts and extroverts have different nervous systems, introverts being more sensitive, which explains why they tend to shun parties (they're overwhelmingly noisy).

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

antifeministfrills wrote:
muff wrote:

i thought introverts enjoyed socializing, but in lesser quantities than extroverts due to being overstimulated more easily. apparently introverts and extroverts have different nervous systems, introverts being more sensitive, which explains why they tend to shun parties (they're overwhelmingly noisy).

There is not always a one-to-one correlation between introversion and being solitary, and between extroversion and being gregarious. There are many extroverted people who prefer their own company as well as introverts who enjoy being around people. The difference is in their level of interaction: Loner extroverts get deeply involved with others when they are with them and social introverts love the stimulation of being in groups, but they do not fully participating in activities.

All this might be relevant, because also, not all Aspies are introverts. Some are quite extroverted and among those the deficits in social cues is most marked.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Oct 2012, 3:56 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Also, the normal person, however elaborate his inner world, is influenced by his social experiences, whereas the person with Asperger syndrome seems cut off from the effects of outside contacts.[/b]
[/quote]

I would say that people on here are affected by other members of the forum?

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

I think the simplest distinction could be the element of choice. An NT introvert not having much social interaction is based largely on their own choice/preference - they could interact socially, they simply prefer not to, while an Aspie likely does not have as much of a choice in the matter.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

The introverted NT possesses the innate social instincts commonly considered normal. Including; has always maintained normal eye contact since childhood, understands timing and turn-taking without difficulty, understands subtext/irony/sarcasm, has a normal vocabulary for their age and education, has no stims or ticks, naturally varies vocal tonality in conversation. Asperger's involves an active thought process in social settings far beyond the neurotypical range. This is because people with AS do not have the requisite social instincts of neurotypical cognitive profile. Constant analyzing of the situation due to lack of normal instinct.

There are also all of the diagnostic criteria not related to social interaction. Autism spectrum is a fairly specific set of atypical thought process, social impairments, and often learning disabilities (particular subjects). Social impairment is only one component. And true, as posted above, introversion is not always the social style or desire of autistic peoples.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2012, 11:49 am

MrStewart wrote:
The introverted NT possesses the innate social instincts commonly considered normal. Including; has always maintained normal eye contact since childhood, understands timing and turn-taking without difficulty, understands subtext/irony/sarcasm, has a normal vocabulary for their age and education, has no stims or ticks, naturally varies vocal tonality in conversation. Asperger's involves an active thought process in social settings far beyond the neurotypical range. This is because people with AS do not have the requisite social instincts of neurotypical cognitive profile. Constant analyzing of the situation due to lack of normal instinct.

There are also all of the diagnostic criteria not related to social interaction. Autism spectrum is a fairly specific set of atypical thought process, social impairments, and often learning disabilities (particular subjects). Social impairment is only one component. And true, as posted above, introversion is not always the social style or desire of autistic peoples.

Very well put!

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 1:03 pm

There are very little similarities between someone who is merely an introvert and someone who has AS. I'm also INTJ (or INFJ... it changes each time I take the test). Introverts don't have the trouble with body language, facial expressions, or any of the other problems with people on the autism spectrum have. Plus, a lot of people on the spectrum are extroverts.