Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2012, 9:34 pm

I was talking to my mom, and she told me when i was little i was ambidextrous, and i always write all with my both hands, example, i have a book and i will write the same thing with my left hand and my right hand, not sure why.

So my other members of family started bothering me about that, and in school to, i started school fast, and got advance one year because of my intelligent so i was in firts grade with 4 years i think, so they maked me just use the right hand because it was the normal thing.

So my questions are.

Being ambidextrous is related to As?
Can i learn to use my left hand easy, i mean i was writing with both hands when i was a kid, i know that if try to write right now with my left hand is kinda hard, but i mean, is it going to take me too much effort, or im just prone to learn to do it quickly?
I have dyspraxia and i write awful, but i just want to know if i can use my both hands to write, the way i was suposse to do it when i born.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 9:45 pm

I write neater with my left hand in mirror writing than I do forward with my right hand. My mirror writing with my right hand is neater, too. It's like I am not meant to write in the usual way. I asked my dad if I started school left handed and he said no. Play around and you will probably be amazed at what you can do. I can write with both hands at the same time in the same direction or in opposite directions. I write and spell (orally, too) backwards as fast as I do forwards and I type backwards quickly, too. I write upside down and backwards with my toes and teeth, too. Just play. It's fun! I think I have some kind of synesthesia as I can see letters kind of 'between here and there' and I can juggle them around like objects. I can feel them. I have no idea if this has anything to do with AS, but this is something I enjoy so much. I can also write two different words - one with each hand, but not as well as I do the other stuff. It's a bit rough. If you have the urge to write with your left, do so. You won't know until you play and then please let us know how it is going :D

Buttercup
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2012, 12:08 am

I am also very amidextrous, and like some with AS, have an interest in calligraphy. When you use one hand more to write with you develop special fine muscles and motor control in that hand. If you are really ambidextrous you can develop them very quickly in the hand you don't normally use with just a little daily practice.

I also have a thing for juggling letters and playing with them in my head and never thought of it as an AS thing but I guess it might be? I like to work word puzzles and play with the serifs of letter designs in my head too before I draw them out.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have read about studies on language and handedness, or handedness confusion. It would be interesting to see statistics on handedness in autism in general.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 12:51 am

I've read a few places that "Failure to adopt hand preference" is a actually sometimes a sign of autism.
I'm also Ambi.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2012, 1:15 am

I'm right handed, but other things that we have a preferred side I am left footed/handed. It's like I'm suppost to be left handed, people often comment on my writing style and say "you write like a left handed person with your right hand". I have tried writing with my left hand, but I found it crazily difficult, hardly any of it even looked like writing, never mind it being legible!

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 2:09 am

I was ambidextrous when I was little; my first grade teacher had me write with my right hand, though. I do prefer my left hand for some stuff; I use my iPhone with my left hand, for instance. I do an OK job writing left-handed on a vertical surface like a chalkboard, but I don't do so well with a sheet of paper on a table or desk. My handwriting is terrible, regardless. :P

I didn't know my left from my right until I was in first grade, and for a couple years, I had to rely on a memorization technique to remember which hand was which. To this day I'll get the two crossed up at times. "Turn left--er, right!"

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2012, 7:45 am

iggy64 wrote:
I'm right handed, but other things that we have a preferred side I am left footed/handed. It's like I'm suppost to be left handed, people often comment on my writing style and say "you write like a left handed person with your right hand". I have tried writing with my left hand, but I found it crazily difficult, hardly any of it even looked like writing, never mind it being legible!

Jajaja this is weird, i think i was better at writing with my left hand to, i write right now with my right hand, and i write from down to up, and people usually do it fromm up to down.

And if i try to write with my left hand i write normally from up to down, and i do a perfect "a" despite not having writing since i was a child, and with my normal hand "right" writing from down to up makes me write an ugly "a", so i think im prone to learn easy to use my left hand.

Im really feeling bad for those thing my family members and school made me do, why someone could thing writing with both hands is really bad, why nobody notice something about my asperger until i myself notice it.

Really?

I know this is out of subject but heyy

Was a kid that got advanced, and started firts year with 4 years because i was too smart, and got the best grades in my class, most kids where 6 and 7, learned to speak and write fast, and in a pedanthic way, i was reading the dictionary all the time(still do it), but when i was a kid was more noticeable cuz i always used words nobody use, but meaning the same thing.

But when i started other secondary school my grades got so low that i was thought to be a mentally ret*d and crazy for all my behavior, got bullied so hard that got depression attacks cuz of my bipolar.
Almost couldnt get out of school because of my low grades, and still people thinking i was a ret*d, i get into college by a little bit, and started studying engineering.
And now, without any effort, because i cant study too much because my adhd im in the top of the class, despite almost never going to classes, almost never studying, and now people think im some sort of a genious, i got no friends, i never had a girlfriend despite being kinda attractive because some acquaintances i have have tell me that i liked a lot girl, i saw sometimes girls doing that look that i think is to flirt, but i never make a move cuz my social anxiety and because i think that they are never going to accept the way i am.
I feel like from another planet.