Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 2:11 am

nessa238 wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
blackelk wrote:
eric76 wrote:
blackelk wrote:
The exact opposite. I don't feel "fresh" unless I shower each day. I also have $70 toothbrush and 2 different kinds of mouthwash I used every day.

$70? Wow!

I use cheap toothbrushes. When I buy toothbrushes, I'll buy a handful of them. I don't like to use any one toothbrush for very long.

It's a power tooth brush. You change the heads every 3 months and they are like $15 a piece too.

I use the electric toothbrushes too they are much better for your teeth I change the heads 6 months as I found the 3 months was too soon.

I can't bear to have an electric toothbrush in my mouth - the sensation is far too unpleasant.

I was a bit apprehensive at first but I found they made my teeth feel much cleaner.
Now I wouldn't use a manual toothbrush except when I go on holiday.

oceandrop
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2012, 2:45 am

nessa238 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It seems the general consensus is that AS does not correlate with poor hygiene.

The people who wash frequently have just conformed to society's expectations more

I hate having showers and put it off as long as possible but I also know that society expects me not to smell so I have a shower/wash often enough not to smell if interacting with people outside the house.

Gross. Having good personal hygiene is not about pleasing other people. Having pride in yourself and your appearance is healthy. Even animals regularly bathe and/or groom themselves. Ever had a cat?

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 2:49 am

nessa238 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It does in my opinion

The people who wash frequently have just conformed to society's expectations more

I hate having showers and put it off as long as possible but I also know that society expects me not to smell so I have a shower/wash often enough not to smell if interacting with people outside the house.

The extent to which a person washes is the extent to which society is determining their actions in my opinion. People who get obsessive about washing have just swallowed all the advertising of washing products and are trying to live like the people in the adverts. Being clean is a socially-desirable trait but it shouldn't be obsessive.

People with Aspergers are often too engrossed in their special interests to want to bother with boring stuff like showers, it's jsut unfortunate that a lot of peoples' 'special interest' is 'being like the NTs' or they actually are more at the NT than As end of the spectrum.

Anyone who values being in the shower more than reading something interesting online has nothing in common with me!

My need for hygiene has nothing to do with society but with the fact that I hate the way sweat feels on my skin and I also hate body odor on myself as well as on others. Seriously, who would like to wear greasy, sticky clothes or sleep in filthy bedsheets?

If your p.o.v. that hygiene is just a waste of time were true, it would also be a waste of time to use the bathroom -- why not messing your pants? And what a waste of time to sleep and eat!

The attitude towards personal hygiene could possibly be more of a cultural difference than a symptom of an ASD.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 3:06 am

Quote:
The attitude towards personal hygiene could possibly be more of a cultural difference than a symptom of an ASD.

or that someone hasnt learned that almost everything without exception comes in degrees and those degrees relate to the external enviroment,
some people dont need to wash as often, they dont sweat as heavily or it doesnt smell as bad, there are genetic markers tha i know of that can influence that specific trait.

nowhere does anything carry into the quite obvious over inflation of what others meant, to say that a reduced level of hygiene automatically equal walking around in your own s**t is a logical fallacy.
what the hell does anything have to do with eating or sleeping, that isnt hygiene as such, it is health but healht speaking you can be too clean as well, your skin requires a certain ammount of lipids to stay healthy and bathing twice a day is enough to destroy that for some people, with sever rashes and eksema as a result, that in turn is a major infection risk for third party viruses and bacteria.

long term it can compromise an entire immune system as well.

it doesnt matter if its cultural or not, no excuse for foregoing logic and equating the personal hygiene of others with smearing yourself in s**t.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Last edited by Oodain on 22 Oct 2012, 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 3:08 am

FishStickNick wrote:
hey_there wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Hmm I don't have AS but I do have lots of symptoms so..... I wonder why my hygiene is so poor then if there is no correlation? Not even joking, If I was forced to take a shower everyday I would have a meltdown...... If that's not un normal then I don't know what is!

Do you have some sort of sensory sensitivity? Or do you just find it unnecessary?

I've seen hygiene threads come up here before. I don't know if there's a direct correlation or not; I will say that I was surprised to find out in middle school that I was unusual for not showering every day...
Nope, no sensory issues! I just find in unnecessary.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 3:16 am

nessa238 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It does in my opinion

The extent to which a person washes is the extent to which society is determining their actions in my opinion. People who get obsessive about washing have just swallowed all the advertising of washing products and are trying to live like the people in the adverts. Being clean is a socially-desirable trait but it shouldn't be obsessive.

People with Aspergers are often too engrossed in their special interests to want to bother with boring stuff like showers, it's jsut unfortunate that a lot of peoples' 'special interest' is 'being like the NTs' or they actually are more at the NT than As end of the spectrum.

Anyone who values being in the shower more than reading something interesting online has nothing in common with me!
heck yeah! I'd only take a shower over reading something interesting online if someone tells me I smell. Otherwise, there's no need!

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2012, 3:26 am

Fnord wrote:

Actually - poor hygiene is in the diagnostics.

But when it comes to ASD's I think there are the two schools in the black and white world we live in. Either we are super neat in hygiene and can not tolerate being dirty.. or those of us who hate water, toothpaste and have all the miserable sensory issues that make hygiene a nightmare. Or simply do not feel the need to be so super neat always and social standards are too strict.

But as for majority - it must be the "feeling the norms of hygiene are too strict" as that is the question in some of the AQ tests and lists of symptoms.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 3:36 am

Quote:
Gross. Having good personal hygiene is not about pleasing other people. Having pride in yourself and your appearance is healthy. Even animals regularly bathe and/or groom themselves. Ever had a cat?
I have no friends and no social life (by choice), and work from home so I'm at home all day. Therefore I feel I don't have to wash myself everyday and I'm not going to. That's my mindset and no one can't change it........ Sorry :(

Last edited by hey_there on 22 Oct 2012, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:06 am

I can't comment on the correlation between AS and personal hygiene, but I wonder if certain traits of AS may be affecting some people's personal hygiene towards either end (super-clean and super-dirty).

I am very particular about my hygiene. However, when I am very badly stressed, I realize my hygiene and tidiness suffer a bit. The room starts looking messy and I just don't have the energy to have a shower when I should.

Also, as someone said, I think personal hygiene is, at least for some people, nothing to do with pleasing other people. I say this because I always have a shower when I know I'm going to stay home and relax. I feel so good when I relax at home if I have had a shower and am feeling clean. On the other hand, if I am going out (either for work or for pleasure), I feel it's a waste of time to have a shower before that because when I'm out, my body is moving and is more likely to sweat any way. So, I would rather not have a shower if I am going somewhere. I'm not a very sweaty and stinky kind of person. So having a shower once a day AFTER I come home from outing is good enough for me. It's more important for me to feel clean in my personal time than when I'm with other people.

The hygiene of the initiator of this topic sounds gross (sorry, no offense intended), but the way she describes it matter-of-factly is very funny. I like that.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 6:31 am

Could be a lot of reasons. I know I don't have great hygiene sometimes.

1) depression. It's hard to get anything done when feeling depressed. We are no strangers to such.

2) sensory issues. I have a $80 toothbrush (a sonicare-- my BIL is my dentist and my sis my hygienist, so I was badgered into it), and while it does a great job of cleaning my teeth, if my sensory is overloaded I can't stand the feeling of the vibration in my mouth-- it even tickles my nerves and makes my nose run when I use certain settings on it), Likewise, if I'm overloaded, showering feels like I'm in the shadow of a cactuar. Usually I like finding ways around things, like using flosspicks instead of regular floss and bathing instead of showering if I'm not too depressed to care.

3) I get consumed by something (like a special interest) that I might forget to.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 9:47 am

oceandrop wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

What's gross?

I don't smell

I wash as often as is needed - every week day now I work

It's only if I spend the day in my nightclothes at home with no one visiting as I did Sunday that I won't wash

There isn't a smell after one day of not washing as deoderant is still on from previous day

I have a cat yes

I'm loving the way a person with typical Asperger behaviour is getting castigated for an Asperger trait - remind me, is this a support forum for people with Aspergers?

Hmmm

Next you'll be shouting at me for not looking people in the eye - is that still an Asperger/autistic trait as of today or have you decided to dispense with that one too?

It seems that because you and others on this thread think not washing every day isn't nice, you've personally decided it isn't an Asperger trait well sorry but it is so you must be less Asperger - it certainly feels like it as you have treated me just like a typical NT might ie with derision. An NT badge is on it's way to you as we speak.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 1:14 pm

Hmm, so it seems pretty much everyone who replied to this thread has GOOD hygiene! I wonder if there is anybody with hygiene as bad as mine anywhere on WP....... except for this one guy's thread I came across: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt198352.html

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 2:06 pm

I am a bit obsessive about it, but my son used to be pretty bad if he was left to his own devices. We went over a checklist almost daily with him for a while, and he has improved greatly.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 2:28 pm

I've posted a poll in This Thread regarding this thread's topic.

Enjoy!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Toadette
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

hey_there wrote:
I have no friends and no social life (by choice), and work from home so I'm at home all day. Therefore I feel I don't have to wash myself everyday and I'm not going to. That's my mindset and no one can't change it........ Sorry :(

Personal hygine is NOT only about smelling nice for other people. You might think differently when you get a $20k dental bill one day... Dental care can be very expensive and painful if you need a lot of work done (my dad is a dentist). Taking care of your teeth and gums is extremely important if you dont want receding gums (which will never grow back) caused by gum disease, dentures in your 30s or 40s and a gigantic bill spread out over the weeks, months or even years to get a crapload of work done. When was the last time you visited a denist??? Please at least make some kind of effort for your health... Bad general hygeine can also lead to some horrible diseases and infections, and with such extremely dreadful hygeine you are putting yourself at a very high risk. I sure hope you have full health insurance, including dental and hospital cover, that is all I can say. PLEASE... take it upon yourself to google about the complications of bad hygiene. How old are you?

I shower once a day, I brush my teeth twice a day and I floss once a day. I visit the dentist every 6 months and I have never had any work done besides having my wisdom teeth extracted.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 3:10 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
I am a bit obsessive about it, but my son used to be pretty bad if he was left to his own devices. We went over a checklist almost daily with him for a while, and he has improved greatly.
Great! How old is your son and was he as bad as me?