Page 4 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

I just can't remember to do these things every day or if I do think of it I can't work up enough will and energy to bother to do it. I try to if I go out but not always because the more obstacles there are in my way of going out the more likely I won't bother and just stay home.

Also if I were to change my clothes as often as some people do I'd be spending a fortune that I don't have at the laundromat and would run out of clean clothes quickly. Even now I'm nearly out of good pajamas because the laundromat by me is unreliable and is frequently closed. It's been closed now for over 2 weeks and was closed another time for over a month.

I think modern hygiene standards are excessive anyways, especially if you are sedentary and don't do things that make you dirty or sweat a lot. When I was in the hospital recently one nurse was pretty amazed at my hair. She thought it looked unusually clean and nongreasy for not having been washed for days. She said by then most people would have had greasy and dirty hair.

Knalraap
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

I've became a bit obsessed with my personal hygiene lately.
I feel extremely uncomfortable if I need to go somewhere and can't shower beforehand, even if I already took a shower that day.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 3:34 pm

Toadette wrote:
hey_there wrote:
I have no friends and no social life (by choice), and work from home so I'm at home all day. Therefore I feel I don't have to wash myself everyday and I'm not going to. That's my mindset and no one can't change it........ Sorry :(

Personal hygine is NOT only about smelling nice for other people. You might think differently when you get a $20k dental bill one day... Dental care can be very expensive and painful if you need a lot of work done (my dad is a dentist). Taking care of your teeth and gums is extremely important if you dont want receding gums (which will never grow back) caused by gum disease, dentures in your 30s or 40s and a gigantic bill spread out over the weeks, months or even years to get a crapload of work done. When was the last time you visited a denist??? Please at least make some kind of effort for your health... Bad general hygeine can also lead to some horrible diseases and infections, and with such extremely dreadful hygeine you are putting yourself at a very high risk. I sure hope you have full health insurance, including dental and hospital cover, that is all I can say. PLEASE... take it upon yourself to google about the complications of bad hygiene. How old are you?

I shower once a day, I brush my teeth twice a day and I floss once a day. I visit the dentist every 6 months and I have never had any work done besides having my wisdom teeth extracted.
I'm 18

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:17 pm

Where's my 10ft pole and fire hose...

I think hygiene is one of the easiest things Aspies can improve on. There's no social interaction involved, it doesn't require anything except yourself, soap and water. Poor hygiene is one of the fastest ways to get written off by girls and other people.

Make it habit, you can be in and out in 10 minutes, sometimes even 5.

Take control!

chichaca
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

I had bad hygiene growing up. It was primarily due to sensory issues (I found showering, brushing my teeth, and brushing my hair painful) and also partly because I didn't realize people were grossed out by others who don't bathe and wear the same clothes over and over (theory of mind?). Gradually I came to realize that showering and changing my clothes were a fairly easy way I could fit in better. Now I shower and change my clothes every day, and I don't really mind. Showering is much less uncomfortable for me now - I guess I've gotten less sensitive in that particular way. I still hate brushing my teeth though. I really have to force myself every single time.

Last edited by chichaca on 22 Oct 2012, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 4:33 pm

hanyo wrote:
I just can't remember to do these things every day or if I do think of it I can't work up enough will and energy to bother to do it. I try to if I go out but not always because the more obstacles there are in my way of going out the more likely I won't bother and just stay home.

Also if I were to change my clothes as often as some people do I'd be spending a fortune that I don't have at the laundromat and would run out of clean clothes quickly. Even now I'm nearly out of good pajamas because the laundromat by me is unreliable and is frequently closed. It's been closed now for over 2 weeks and was closed another time for over a month.

I think modern hygiene standards are excessive anyways, especially if you are sedentary and don't do things that make you dirty or sweat a lot. When I was in the hospital recently one nurse was pretty amazed at my hair. She thought it looked unusually clean and nongreasy for not having been washed for days. She said by then most people would have had greasy and dirty hair.
Same here! I'm out of school, have no social life, and make money online so I'm sedentary all day. What's the point. How often do you wash yourself?

NewDawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2012, 4:37 pm

I have only internet friends and have an almost entirely virtual social life (by choice), and work from home too. The reason why I take a shower every day, change clothes every day and brush my teeth twice a day is simply because it has been my routine for many years.

That said, it isn't problem to bathe less than once a day. For hygiene purposes, the most important things to do daily are washing the hands and brushing the teeth. Not doing so is a proven health risk.

Fun fact: the women of a tribe in Namibia never bathe during their entire life (they rub themselves with red ocre instead). Visitors have testified that they don't smell bad.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:38 pm

Quick observation:

Some Aspies have sensory issues, or depression, or executive functions problems that may make washing difficult.

Other Aspies have sensory issues with smell, or touch that make being around unwashed people nightmarish.

Hence, both are "Aspergers traits."

Personally, I think people stink no matter if they wash or not. I even prefer "wet dog" to "human smell."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm

hey_there wrote:
Same here! I'm out of school, have no social life, and make money online so I'm sedentary all day. What's the point. How often do you wash yourself?

It varies. With my hair ideally I'd like to do it every other day and if I can keep it up mostly just do co washing but I'm more likely to wait a week or more until it itches or I get visible dandruff. Recently I went a day short of 2 weeks and it wasn't itchy yet and I'll probably go over a week again because I recently got out of the hospital and washing my hair is a huge ordeal. It's think and waist length. I normally do it bending over or on my knees by the tub faucet but I can't because of my incision. Doing it at the sink was bad enough and I needed help. I can't do it in the shower because the water pressure isn't good enough and I can't stand getting water in my face.

I'd try to shower every day or every other day but I probably end up doing it once a week or less, maybe more if I smell, especially if I'm going out.

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2012, 5:40 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Where's my 10ft pole and fire hose...

I think hygiene is one of the easiest things Aspies can improve on. There's no social interaction involved, it doesn't require anything except yourself, soap and water. Poor hygiene is one of the fastest ways to get written off by girls and other people.

Make it habit, you can be in and out in 10 minutes, sometimes even 5.

Take control!
Yeah I know, but I'm out of school, I have no social life (by choice), and I make money online, so I'm sedentary almost all day everyday and I rarely ever go anywhere, so I never actually sweat or get dirty because I'm not active so that's why I feel no need to wash myself everyday.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

I have a bath every day. I would shower/bathe more often because I cycle everywhere, but there's no showers at work.
I always brush my teeth at least twice a day.
I use deoderant every day without fail and carry deoderant in my bag with me. Just because without it I know I stink.

I think that's pretty standard hygiene.

If I don't bathe in a day I feel horrible. Very occasionally if I'm not leaving the house and having a lazy day, I won't bathe till the evening, but I usually don't end up doing anything because I feel like crap because I haven't washed.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:46 pm

hey_there wrote:
Yeah I know, but I'm out of school, I have no social life (by choice), and I make money online, so I'm sedentary almost all day everyday and I rarely ever go anywhere, so I never actually sweat or get dirty because I'm not active so that's why I feel no need to wash myself everyday.

I don't care if it pushes people away. I'd rather be left alone.

How long it takes has nothing to do with it. I take longer showers here but in my old house between the water pressure being better and the hot water running out faster I easily took less than 5 minutes in the shower (just for a shower, my hair takes a while and must be washed separately). When I was in reform school they only let us shower for 3 minutes.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2012, 7:17 pm

I too am a bit obsessed by it. I HAVE to shower every day. It's a part of my "routine". It's a sensory issue for me if I don't shower

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2012, 9:29 pm

heatherbk wrote:
I too am a bit obsessed by it. I HAVE to shower every day. It's a part of my "routine". It's a sensory issue for me if I don't shower

I feel exactly the same. If I go more than a day without a shower I get that grimy, dirty, greasy feeling and I hate it. Oddly, in my younger days I wasn't as good about hygiene as I am now.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

22 Oct 2012, 9:34 pm

I am pretty obsessed with keeping up, really. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Oct 2012, 9:53 pm

Adaptive skills deficits are common in autistic spectrum disorders. While a diagnosis of AS is supposed to exclude such deficits, the reality is that most people who are diagnosed with AS have those deficits at some point during their lives.

I didn't understand hygiene standards until I was 18 or so, when it was explained to me in extreme and insulting detail by my suddenly former housemate.

Also, executive dysfunction plays a role in disrupting hygienic habits.