I wish I could stick with one interest

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm

I have several hobbies that I rotate through. Every month or two, I suddenly lose interest in my current hobby and switch to another. Projects get set aside and forgotten about for several months while I spend time and money on other interests.
This is one reason I think my gradeschool teachers were correct when they thought I had ADD.

I wish I didn't lose interest in my hobbies so easily and often. The one up side to what I do is that I have a great deal of knowledge pertaining to ALL of my interests.

I know that if I could focus on one hobby, I would become EXTREMELY knowledgeable in that particular subject.

Anyone else have this problem?
How can I stay focused on one interest?

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2012, 10:20 pm

I have the same issue. But it always stays in the same area... art. But I wish it would STAY just the one area! Maybe I would be able to work in it

iamcoley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2012, 11:57 pm

Yes, I have this problem and yes, it is totally annoying.

But, no, I can't really help you... I can't even help myself...

I have been thinking lately that it might need to be a goal perspective thing. By working on **I WILL acheive ..... because of/then I'll ......** instead of just randomly allowing myself to do *whatever*, I might actually become great at something, instead of just "good at everything".

I'm not great at setting goals because I jump between interests too easily. So I am going to work on my goal setting and see if that will allow me to focus better... It seems like a long shot but I'm willing to give it a go.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

19 Oct 2012, 2:20 am

Yea, I become really focused on someone for a particular amount of time before moving on to the next thing as well. I'm not sure staying on the same thing would be any more productive.

Popsmear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2012, 7:40 pm

I have the same problem, picking up an interest, delving in, finally get the hang of it and start getting good, only to get bored and move on to another at some point later. I have not yet figured out how to stay focused on one, or spent enough time making myself I guess.