What not to do at your first psychologist appointment?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 5:07 pm

MaKin wrote:
i've got to wait until nearly the end of december for the next appointment,
If you live where it snows in December make sure to as office what their policy is for cancelling appointments. And make sure they know it is a 2 hour trip for you.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 6:36 pm

I think they're probably just trying to build trust and rapport, so that you will eventually open-up, to them.

Short of not being able to pay, or something business-related, they would probably want to make you feel as though you can do no wrong. They are not especially supposed to be making moral judgments, about you, anyway.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 7:39 pm

When I was referred to someone as a child of about thirteen after an incident, I met a therapist briefly and couldn't stop myself from imparting a major information upload, which in hindsight had a knock-on effect that generated a lot of confusion between him and another therapist who I saw regularly at my school, meaning I needed to wait longer for things to be seen to. I suffered sleep paralysis severely for several years, researched it thoroughly and became fascinated by all manner of sleep-related paraphernalia. Being a kid and describing all this to an adult probably sounded like I was having psychotic episodes however, or at least that's what I presume created the confusion. In any case if I were meeting a new doctor I'd be asking questions but also trying to stay focused and not go off on a tangent.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 8:38 pm

They're mainly there, to listen.

In one school of thought, they say that you diagnose yourself, when getting everything off your chest.