Can you be diagnosed without your permission?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Louehni
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

Hi!

I've been considering the possibility of seeing a therapist/possibly getting a diagnosis. However, I'm not actually sure whether I want a diagnosis or not- I would want to talk with the therapist about the pros and cons of that before really looking into it.

Is there any chance that if I went to see a therapist and mentioned aspergers/ high functioning autism to her, she could diagnose me even if I didn't want to be diagnosed? Can you be diagnosed with something without your permission? For the most part, I do fine, but there are a few things I might like a little help with.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 9:53 pm

Louehni wrote:
Can you be diagnosed with something without your permission?
Hey there! Umm, hmm ... I guess that kind of depends on several variables, including medical law where you live. Which also includes which level of medical professional has authority to diagnose Asperger's/autism.
Now, say for example, you do go see a therapist, with or without an official diagnosis made therapist could make a note something like "client exhibited some signs of Asperger's/autism" which would then remain in your notes with the therapist's office until a medical professional elsewhere requested information from that office - and here, such requests generally need patient's approval.
While such a note might make mention of the condition it is not a diagnosis.

johntober
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2017, 10:18 pm

A formal diagnosis would not change the fact that either you are, or are not; Autistic. The acting professional can only say that any of us meets the criteria for Autism (or any diagnosis). You, as an adult; will decide if you want to accept the diagnosis.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 12:18 am

Umm im not sure if i know what you mean but i was actually diagnosed without permission.

A general evaluation was done on me and then a second one was done and i wasnt informed on what they were looking for or why they were evaluating me. a few months later my psychologist informed my DAD on my diagnoses. I was actually the last person to learn that i was autistic.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 12:27 am

If you don’t want to be diagnosed for say professional reasons, restricted license or security clearance. I would mention that on day one with your therapist and pay cash, they need a diagnosis for insurance.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 12:40 am

Yes you can and they might not even tell you about it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 12:47 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Umm im not sure if i know what you mean but i was actually diagnosed without permission.

A general evaluation was done on me and then a second one was done and i wasnt informed on what they were looking for or why they were evaluating me. a few months later my psychologist informed my DAD on my diagnoses. I was actually the last person to learn that i was autistic.

I believe it's different when you're a kid. I wasn't told either about either of my diagnoses. I believe the OP is talking about as an adult. I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa as an adult and didn't know about it until months later. It happened in the doctor's office at one of my regular check ups for my medicine.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 8:28 pm

People call eachother things, all the time, and autism is even used as a slur. So, what bad thing happens, if she says the word autism.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

Well, I noticed that there was probably another aspie on a tech listserv, so I told him what I noticed and he agreed, with considerable chagrin, that his life now made sense.