Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2012, 2:40 pm

I don't know if this is an AS trait, but I get really frustrated with factual inaccuracies and when I am doing schoolwork I want to make sure that what I am writing is as accurate as possible which means I spend more time researching than is necessary (if it's informative writing in English, for example they're not going to factcheck everything.) And I find myself noticing teachers, experts, etc being wrong and it makes me feel like an insufferable know-it-all just THINKING that they are wrong. Does anyone else experience this? :evil:

cartoony_loony
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2012, 2:58 pm

Yes! I used to correct teachers at school if they made mistakes. I'm only trying to be helpful but I've had to start trying to stop myself...people don't like to be corrected... :roll:

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

cartoony_loony wrote:
Yes! I used to correct teachers at school if they made mistakes. I'm only trying to be helpful but I've had to start trying to stop myself...people don't like to be corrected... :roll:

Shouldn't education be a two-way process though. :) Just because someone has a degree or is older than me doesn't mean that there is nothing they can learn from me.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 3:07 pm

If these are people paid to instruct others on facts - then you have every right to be angry if they get something wrong (and voice it - it's no use if you just *think* that they're wrong).

I am unabashed about that - I had an Iranian teacher once who made spelling mistakes all over. Granted, she wasn't an English native, and she was more likeable than most natives at any rate, but the more people complain about the plain fact that teachers are supposed to be accurate, because it's their very purpose, the more things can change on a national basis. See this news entry from recent times in the UK.

I generally try to be rational about it, though - I wouldn't be at all angry if some random teenager wrote in txt speech e.g. but I would be vocal if it's an organization that should know better (I recently pointed out a typo at my local dentist and they corrected it immediately!)

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

Mootoo wrote:
If these are people paid to instruct others on facts - then you have every right to be angry if they get something wrong (and voice it - it's no use if you just *think* that they're wrong).

I am unabashed about that - I had an Iranian teacher once who made spelling mistakes all over. Granted, she wasn't an English native, and she was more likeable than most natives at any rate, but the more people complain about the plain fact that teachers are supposed to be accurate, because it's their very purpose, the more things can change on a national basis. See this news entry from recent times in the UK.

I generally try to be rational about it, though - I wouldn't be at all angry if some random teenager wrote in txt speech e.g. but I would be vocal if it's an organization that should know better (I recently pointed out a typo at my local dentist and they corrected it immediately!)

Yes, people don't generally seem to be that bothered by factual inaccuracies though? Or perhaps they're not as well-informed as I am (I don't mean to sound big-headed, there are lots of things I don't know about). I know someone who reckons they were given an A instead of an A* in their Music GCSE (they got A* in everything else) because their teacher didn't like that they knew things that the teacher didn't. :/

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

I once had an English supply teacher who didn't think that 'anxiety' was a word and had to look it up in the dictionary. :roll:

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 3:23 pm

I find myself correcting people who are wrong because I enjoy doing it. It doesn't bug me when teachers or Facebook posts or whatever are wrong, I just love correcting. It's kind of a guilty pleasure.

For instance, my history homework asked this question: True of false, we as individuals can have no effect on our government's future. I remember my book clearly stating that anyone can change the course of history, but this is still false. The future is the future no matter what. Everyone's brain's atoms are layed out so that they will no matter what, do whatever it is they will do.

So say... for instance I want Romney or Obama to win the election and I know how to hack the results to give a false count and make him the winner of the election. I either will or I wont do it, and it's up to me, but it's somewhat predetermined by how I think.

I used to go on Facebook and seek out stupid posts just so I could comment and prove them wrong. I was very good at it and almost never posted things myself, but then I got bored and stopped. I imagine that everyone hates me on Facebook now though XD.

One time my church teacher was talking about arches and how the church leader is like the "keystone" meaning center stone and it supports all the other stones stacked up. If the keystone is gone, the whole thing will collapse. I kindly pointed out that if you removed any of the stones then it would collapse making the keystone no more important than any other stones.

It doesn't bug me when people are wrong at all, I relish it.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 3:47 pm

r84shi37 wrote:
I find myself correcting people who are wrong because I enjoy doing it. It doesn't bug me when teachers or Facebook posts or whatever are wrong, I just love correcting. It's kind of a guilty pleasure.

For instance, my history homework asked this question: True of false, we as individuals can have no effect on our government's future. I remember my book clearly stating that anyone can change the course of history, but this is still false. The future is the future no matter what. Everyone's brain's atoms are layed out so that they will no matter what, do whatever it is they will do.

You can dish it out, but can you take it? It's "laid", not "layed". :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

Had an English teacher way back in eighth grade who said repeatidly that "the Mississippi starts in Montana". I didnt have the nerve to tell her that the source of the mississippi is Minnesota.

Once she pulled down a map of the whole usa to show us something else and said "why does it show the mississippi ending in Minnesota?... it supposed to end in Montana!".

In that same teacher's class we talked about Florence Nightengale, and her contributions. The teacher said "FN is usually said to be the 'the first army nurse in history' because of her reforms and efforts to take care of the wounded in Britains Crimean War. But the teacher added that "She wasnt EXACTLY the first army nurse in history. My [the teacher's own] ancestress and her sisters and friends volunteered to help take care of the wounded at the Battle of Gettysburg in the American Civil War -which would mean that there were really slightly earlier army nurses."
I didnt have the nerve to raise my hand and tell her that (as interesting as her tale of her ancestress may be)that that would NOT make her ancestress an earlier nurse than Florence Nightengale- becasue (you friggin hockey puck!) the Crimean War was BEFORE the American Civil War! Not after it!

In my freshman year in college a fellow student in my Anthropology class asked where exactly on the map do Indians end and eskimos begin?"

The instructor then launch isto fusilade of balderdash to cover up the fact that she didnt know.

She said "well experts differ as what is an 'indian' and what is an "eskimo" - some say below a certain line there one thing...blah blah blah"

In reality Eskimos are Eskimos, and non eskimos are noneskimos- the inuit are united with each other and distinct from other indigenous North American groups to the south both racially and linguistically and culturally.

I didnt have the never to tell the instructor "hey! Turn around. See that vegitation map of North America behind you? Well.. look at the top of Alaska and Canada where the green (for trees) ends, and where the gray ( for tundra) begins. Thats pretty much the same line where Indians end and Eskimos begin."

There was another highschool teacher who I DID correct, but to no avail.

Our text book mentioned China and France wrestling for control of "Annam". A student asked "where is Annam? Is it part of Vietnam?"

I was a map geek and I happened to know that what was we now call "vietnam" was three regions "Annam, Tongkin, and Cochin China" when it was part of French Indochina.

The teacher responded to the question "AH NOOOooo its not part of Vietnam -but its in that region down there."

I shot up my hand and said "Annam WAS part of Vietnam. In fact most of Vietnam was the territory of Annam, so Annam and VIetnam are practically the same thing."

She kinda winked at me, and silently mouthed "I know..just be quiet".

Oh well.. when youre a teacher you gotta pretend you know everything.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 4:44 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
r84shi37 wrote:

You can dish it out, but can you take it? It's "laid", not "layed". :wink:

Yep, I can take it, the only time when I'm really embarrassed about corrections is when someone proves my correction to be incorrect. Other than that I don't mind so much. Either way, now I know that layed isn't a word at all. So, quite honestly, thank you.
:D

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 5:04 pm

Quote:

If it's in the subject their teaching, I agree. But no one, not even teachers, are perfect, and if their inaccuracy has nothing to do with what they're teaching, I don't mind it.

For example, when my cognitive psychology professor said the 'man who mistook his wife for a hat' was prosopagnosic, I was annoyed (prosopagnosia isn't confusing faces for other objects, but not knowing whose face it is). But when my Japanese language teacher said North Carolina was near Saskatchewan, I didn't care, because she's not getting paid to teach me US geography. (She's from Japan, which is actually a pretty good sign for a Japanese teacher.)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2012, 8:08 pm

No one knows everything. Even teachers could sometimes make mistakes. I am very fussy about facts and spelling etc and often notice other peoples inaccuracies. But I am also aware that there are things that others know and I don't. So, we should be tolerant of each other's mistakes. However, I always to try to be careful not to say things that I am not very sure about, just to avoid making an incorrect statement. Many people have no hesitation in saying something that may not be true. They don't seem to care too much about being accurate. If I do need to point out someone's mistake, though, I do it very carefully - say it in a not-too-cocky way and not in front of other people - to spare the person corrected the embarrassment. Otherwise, the other person could understandably become stubborn. But I guess this kind of tact is what many of us with AS tend to lack. I am no exception.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2012, 8:27 pm

This crops up for me a LOT. I am very good at noticing errors including spelling & grammar mistakes - I can spot them a mile away. I sometimes joke that I would love to be a teacher just to get that red pen out and make corrections ;) lol (not to make the student feel bad, there is just something about it which is kind of fun). I have to stop myself from correcting soooo many facebook status errors! Not saying I am perfect, of course. And as a PP said, if someone corrected me, I would be grateful.

To me, this all fits with the description that those on the spectrum are avid seekers of truth, knowledge and perfection. In Tony Attwood's words:

"The person usually has a strong desire to seek knowledge, truth and perfection with a different set of priorities than would be expected with other people. [...] The overriding priority may be to solve a problem rather than satisfy the social or emotional needs of others."

My family and I will rarely be able to have a conversation without delving into whether what someone else just said is in fact entirely accurate or not. It drives my Mum crazy lol It often leads to having to check with google to discover what the truth really is ;)

I can pick up on when someone contradicts themselves very well also, which isn't good for them ;)

I also get hung up on whether to say something or not for fear that I am incorrect. This is why I joke that I am "always right when I say I am right" because generally I have put a LOT of research into it first.

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Oct 2012, 8:55 pm

I have some of this... but I don't make the corrections anymore because I've been taught that's is not polite when I was a little kid and now, I'm 33, I can't change my behavior. It became a "taboo" for me correcting other people, and it makes me so anxious that I can't breath. I had to leave some classes last semester because the teachers were so stupid that made me sick. I mean, really sick, I need to take valium to control myself for the rest of the day. And my mind is kind of encyclopedic, so it happens all the time.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 5:51 am

cartoony_loony wrote:
...people don't like to be corrected... :roll:

That's because people hate being wrong (regardless of the fact that they are 98% of the time and they know it probably 60% of the time).

Facts are a constantly changing thing, by the time one fact is common knowledge, it's proven wrong by experts in some way.
Now don't get me wrong, there are people that are blatently and absurdly wrong about the most obvious things and honestly believe the crap they spew, but honestly I got tired of arguing pointlessly with people and their "facts" because nothing will ever convince them that they're wrong.

Better to leave them to their stupidity than to join them in it by arguing pointlessly.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 6:02 am

(Via XKCD.com)