Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 9:37 am

Finalized everything with my psychologist. I officially have PDD-NOS, ADD, and GAD. He said that Asperger's was highly likely but there wasn't enough information to provide a concrete diagnosis for that.

I am going to begin attending group therapy next week. I am also going to start today with looking into applying for disability (I've been job-hunting for two months and have applied at most everywhere I could feasibly work, but apparently the whole town has declared me unhirable).

Gonna change my status on WP obviously.

What else should I do?

cherrycoke
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2012, 11:30 am

I went binge drinking homeless style for a few years. Wouldn't recommend it.

I was diagnosed 8, almost 9 years ago, still don't know what to do after it.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 11:31 am

You're doing fine. :) Group therapy and looking into assistance with keeping yourself fed and sheltered are going to have your hands full for the time being.

As far as jobs go, please don't give up on employment right away; see if you can apply at a vocational rehabilitation center. Sometimes, they can find you a job where you can, with accommodations, earn a living. But keep up with the disability applications process, because it takes a long time and you want to get as much of a head start as you can. Perhaps even if you're truly unemployable you can still do volunteer work, or work very short hours. Just because you can't work the way NTs can, doesn't mean you should give up entirely. Get creative and see what you can do.

But your life is probably going to be hectic enough, so do try not to burn out on anything. And try to find a social worker to help you if you're drowning in the paperwork and getting confused, overwhelmed, or just getting behind.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:

(I've been job-hunting for two months and have applied at most everywhere I could feasibly work, but apparently the whole town has declared me unhirable).

Are they giving you a reason as to why you are unhirable? If not you may be able to file a complaint for descrimination since these places are refusing to hire you because you may have a disabiltiy.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

Nope. Keep in mind I applied at all these places before I got my diagnoses. But no they haven't really given a reason. I certainly struggle with the interview process and anything involving that sort of interaction.

I did have a job for six years, but I found out I was basically hired because my GM was mentally ill and hired a lot of ill-fitting people for arbitrary reasons. When he eventually quit, the GMs who replaced him all told me that they wouldn't have hired me, but they couldn't fire me because I hadn't done anything that was documentable (and they only fire for documentable reasons such as lateness or stealing). It was an incredibly uncomfortable and awkward six years, and I ended up resigning when I moved out of state because i couldn't afford where I lived anymore.