Do you recognize that you're in control?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 8:10 pm

After reading the dealing with conservatives thread, visiting a guidance counselor this week, along with my general frustration with the community, I have to ask. Do you feel your in control do you acknowledge what your in control of.

I mean its obvious I can`t control people, and I can`t expect myself to ever be like an nt.

At the same time nobody out there is gonna take care of my needs, the government can`t be relied upon, my parents aren`t gonna be around for ever, and I have a very limited social network.

So I ask do acknowledge your role in your own future, and what do you see as things you control.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Nov 2012, 8:27 pm

I acknowledge my own role in my future although it scares me witless and I don't know for how long I will be able to keep it up.

Always feel like I am playing at life, playing at keeping house.

I just figure that I've muddled through before, so I'll muddle through again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 12:41 am

some would look at my life and find proof that free will is a myth.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 1:57 am

I am very much in control of my own life, and want to stay that way. Life has taught me that there are very few people you can count on in life and your only option is to count on yourself for everything and be pleasantly surprised when someone helps you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 2:07 am

i'd like to be in control of my life but it just hasn't worked out that way, i've just stumbled from one situation to another as though fumbling in darkness. i could use more internal illumination, at least in a cognitive sense.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2012, 4:23 am

People control me by belting me up, throwing things at me, ordering me around and bossing me around in my own home. I don't like upsetting anyone or hurting anyones feelings I am seeing a phycologist that looks after people with Aspergers to be taught to be assertive and learn to say No and that it is alright to say No and that I am not hurting anyones feelings.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 6:50 am

I'm obviously not in control, nor want I to be. Asperger's, and many other things, control me. That is how it has to be.

But I feel I have control over everything. I can be "bright" in such a way that everything processes in my brain and I'm aware of everything and I can relate to everything, and have control because of this. I can do whatever I want, starting from the situation I'm in now. That's how much control I have. Factors concerning society and home/living status do of course help me with this.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 8:25 am

auntblabby wrote:
i'd like to be in control of my life but it just hasn't worked out that way, i've just stumbled from one situation to another as though fumbling in darkness. i could use more internal illumination, at least in a cognitive sense.

Obviously one can't control everything, you'd be a total narcissist if you thought you did. However there are aspects of your life that you do control. The idea because your autistic you can't is total emotional reason with little logic to it.

In many ways were more enable to be in total control, because our lives are rather independant of those around us.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2012, 11:17 am

Stoek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Obviously one can't control everything, you'd be a total narcissist if you thought you did. However there are aspects of your life that you do control. The idea because your autistic you can't is total emotional reason with little logic to it.

In many ways were more enable to be in total control, because our lives are rather independant of those around us.

I see a logical contradiction there. You're right. We can't control everything. And that is exactly why we are not able to be in total control. Nobody is.

Ergo, in no way can anyone be "in total control."

I also would disagree completely that anyone, Autistic or not, is "rather independent of those around us." Though I would agree that is typical Autistic thinking, I've found it to be untrue. Nobody is truly independent of others.

No man is an island. Without other people, we are basically self centered and rather useless to anyone. Even ourselves. People need people. It's a fact of life.

Quote:
The idea because your autistic you can't is total emotional reason with little logic to it.

Sometimes true, and sometimes not. It depends on what you're talking about. There are certain aspects of Autism that individual Autistics cannot control, or at least haven't yet learned how. What those aspects are differs from person to person and changes over time depending on how well one knows one own Autism.

One probably shouldn't determine for others which is which. That would be judgmental wouldn't it?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...