Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FightingAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 4:46 am

I am on none. But I think I want to give it a go. I do not know much about them yet. I am sure I will obsess over it within the next few weeks tho.

So? What medication are u on?

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2012, 5:23 am

sereqil, dothoripin.

FightingAspie

15 Nov 2012, 5:36 am

Guys, please say what symptoms u are treating and if you are satisfied with the results.

Thanks

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 6:07 am

I don't know where you are, but I don't think you will be able to just go to the doctor and request a specific medication. You tell the doctor your symptoms and they choose your medication accordingly. The only possible exception to that is if you have previously had a particular medication and had a bad reaction to it, it didn't work, it made you worse, you have medical reasons why specific ones are bad for you etc. and the doctor has previously told you a particular one is the one you should take, and you therefore request that. Having said that, doctors are people too and maybe some are more open-minded to discussing with the patient particular medication. It's their decision though as the buck stops with them, and many doctors don't like well informed patients that turn up wanting to ask for something specific. It messes with their God complex.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 8:12 am

Cymbalta - I requested it for depression and social anxiety last January, I was prescribed 30mg, followed by 60mg two months later. Still 60mg now, although my track record with taking it everyday is somewhat poor as I occasionally forget to take it, or whether I have already taken it (when unsure, I wait until the next time I'm supposed to take it.)

I am trying to get Vyvanse for my attention issues, but waiting lists for psychiatrists are long where I live, so it will be three months at least.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 8:25 am

My husband is on cymbalta for depression, anxiety, and rage control issues (essentially just all ends of bad mood spectrum and stability control problems). It works well at leveling him out a bit for a few weeks but then starts to lose effectiveness until they up the dose again. His doctor recently added seroquel to the mix. Too early to tell if it is helping.

Nothing is absolute.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 9:32 am

Medication is specific to the person and I don't think a comparison with others would help.
For me, I don't take medications because I've had adverse reactions to everything I've been given, the meds always had the exact opposite reaction that they should've had, so I stopped taking medicines altogether (in fact the only time I'll take a processed medication is if my life is in danger by not taking it).

I'll still do natural herbs (not illegal drugs if that's what you're thinking), but i rely primarily on other sources for my healing and such.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 12:26 pm

SSRI

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 12:30 pm

Venlafaxine
Risperidone
Mirtazipine
For depression, anxiety and sleep.

Eden
:cat:

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 1:26 pm

Lamictal (lamotrigine)
Abilify (aripiprazole)
Remeron (mirtazapine)

...none of which are working. I feel like I lost my ability to have emotions, and I don't feel like myself anymore. I just emailed my doctor to ask how to stop them all safely. I think, for me, it might be better to deal with my Bipolar II undrugged than to feel like a robot.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:02 pm

The list is long, but currently:

citalopram (SSRI) -for depression and as an off label for OCD
amytriptyline (TCA) -primarily to combat one of the negative side effects I experience from citalopram. That being nightly very vivid and often disturbing dreams.

This is likely to change in coming weeks. I will talk to my pdoc about the possibility of changing my primary anti depressant entirely. My tdoc also wants me to consider benzodiazepines for periods of high anxiety. That concerns me. Benzos are not something you want to fool around with unless absolutely necessary. So I will ask my pdoc for opinions on that as well.

For opening poster: your doctor will want to send you for blood tests before prescribing you anything. This is in part to rule out any physical reasons for exacerbated depression/anxiety, and also to make sure whatever they prescribe will be safe for you to take.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

The list is long, but currently:

citalopram (SSRI) -for depression and as an off label for OCD
amytriptyline (TCA) -primarily to combat one of the negative side effects I experience from citalopram. That being nightly very vivid and often disturbing dreams.

This is likely to change in coming weeks. I will talk to my pdoc about the possibility of changing my primary anti depressant entirely. My tdoc also wants me to consider benzodiazepines for periods of high anxiety. That concerns me. Benzos are not something you want to fool around with unless absolutely necessary. So I will ask my pdoc for opinions on that as well.

For opening poster: your doctor will want to send you for blood tests before prescribing you anything. This is in part to rule out any physical reasons for exacerbated depression/anxiety, and also to make sure whatever they prescribe will be safe for you to take.

Beetzart

15 Nov 2012, 3:24 pm

After a 16 year med merry-go-round I might have finally hit on a combination that is stabilising things, albeit slowly as at present I am in a bit of a dysphoric trough. They suspect this is because of recently starting quite an intense course of psychotherapy.

Venlafaxine for depression
Pregabalin for anxiety
Lithium as an adjunct
Mirtazapine for sleep and depression

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

rispirdal
prozac
generics.

Anxiety and depression and sleep issues.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 5:00 pm

Inositol for depression
Phosphadytlcholine and Phosphadytlserine - for focus
L-glutathione - focus

all over the counter

cannabis for epilepsy

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2012, 6:14 pm

Long-term depression sufferer (whether depression is the disease itself or whether it is the symptom of struggling so much with life and whatever is actually wrong with me is not something I've thought to question until quite recently).

I've used Prozac for years on-and-off. I get on well with it, no side effects I notice, and it makes me able to feel all emotions rather than just bleak all the time. And it doesn't make me feel happy all the time either, it just seems to bring me back to more of a normal baseline mood.

I was prescribed Carbemazapine by one doctor who thought I was Bipolar (I've no idea why as the symptoms of that are nothing like mine) and hated it. I was dead inside, I felt nothing. My mind went slow and I was falling asleep on the bus to work. I lasted about a fortnight on that before refusing to take any more. For me, being depressed was less frightening than being able to feel nothing at all.

I have just been put onto Citalopram a couple of days ago. It's too soon to say what the effects are as I was told it wouldn't start working for about 3 weeks. I'm more tired, but then I've had a busy weekend, have a nasty cold and have started another medication too, so that's to be expected!

The doctor has started me on Citalopram as I'm going through a rough patch at the moment, am more jittery & tearful than usual. I'm on the waiting list for CBT and a mental health assessment and they say that should happen in the New Year.