Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 6:43 pm

Prozac:

Intended to reduce irritability, stabilize my mood, and stem self-injury.

So far, it does seem to have a calming effect, but I've only been on it a month or two.

Concerta:

Intended to aid task-switching, attention, and memory.

So far, my attention has improved a bit, but I'm stimming like crazy, and I still zone-out.

Lunesta:

Intended to help with chronic insomnia.

So far, it hasn't done squat.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2012, 9:42 pm

Coumadin---for pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis I suffered after back surgery several years ago
Bystolic---for high blood pressure

Scaurie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

Effexor (Venlafaxine) for treatment of Dysthymia, Anxiety
Trazodone for Anxiety and Insomnia
Clonzepam for Anxiety and Insomnia (It also helps deal with twitching from the Effexor)
Accutane to keep me from becoming a pizza

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

Oberoth wrote:
Cymbalta - I requested it for depression and social anxiety last January, I was prescribed 30mg, followed by 60mg two months later. Still 60mg now, although my track record with taking it everyday is somewhat poor as I occasionally forget to take it, or whether I have already taken it (when unsure, I wait until the next time I'm supposed to take it.)

I am trying to get Vyvanse for my attention issues, but waiting lists for psychiatrists are long where I live, so it will be three months at least.

You should really try and buy a pill box where you can put all the pills for each weekday for 1 week at a time. Cheap and easy help.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2012, 10:25 pm

i was long considered to have dissociative disorder, which is turning out to be sensory issues. benzopiazepines helped a lot. for me, they seem to have a way of rounding out the sharpness of sounds and sensations. benzos put a blanket on the world and this has been helpful for me.

it is not meant to be used in this way, but it works for me. that said, it does make me more 'dull' and with my already flat affect, im sort of super dull. i find that if i am on a low dose, and take it as needed, it is a decent drug.

also, i am on adderall for ADD, which i suspect is actually related to AS shutdowns. this medication seems to enhance my sensitivity to stimuli, so it makes the sensory issues worse. however, this has only led to one meltdown for me since i have been on it for a couple of months. mainly, it gives me routine energy (meaning energy for no apparent reason) and actually increases my dopamine, which has assisted me in having 'emotions,' which we before hard to have for me.

ive kept the doses of both low because (and i have heard others aspies mention the same) i seem to experience side effects more than most people, which could be related simply to the way we process sensations differently.

my medication could change or be discontinued as i transition into treatment with an AS focus.

the best advice i can give though, if you have the money, is to meet with your psychiatrist once a week and be firm on that. if you are sensitive to meds as most of us seem to be, youll need a continual dialogue with your psych. a partial inpatient program for mental health might also not be a bad idea if you want to hit the ground running. then you can see the psych everyday.

of course, i didnt check your profile to see if you're from back-woods asia, so some of this advice my not apply.

Appleisbetter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2012, 10:28 pm

Mirtazipine
xanax

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:09 pm

I was put on a really low dosage of cipralex a little over a year ago for intense depression. The depression was extremely bad at the time, but the low dosage was all I needed. My doctor suggested a few times to up it, but he questioned me and agreed that I probably didn't need it. I ended up taking myself off earlier this school year because my insurance from LAST school year ran out (since I graduated and am now at a different university for grad school). Cipralex is not a cheap one, and I figured because the dosage was so low it probably wasn't doing all that much anyway.

I never had any side effects while on it, but coming off was terrible (brain zaps). The brain zaps are gone for the most part though, but now I am beginning to notice other things. I have very little awareness about emotions, what they are, and how I am feeling. I can identify anger, and I can identify complete misery to the point where I want to die, and that is about it. The cipralex dulled my emotions to the point where my anger would not build up (only some irritation once in awhile). All other emotions that I may have and can't identify anyway were dulled. I was no longer depressed, and all my negative thoughts were gone (before the pills, every thought I had was negative about myself and suicidal, etc). This all changed while on a VERY low dosage. Another thing I JUST noticed very recently is that the entire time I've been on cipralex, I've barely had ANY meltdowns at all (whereas I used to have them several times a day). I still have sensory issues, but I guess it dissipates before it turns into a meltdown. Since I've come off cipralex, I've started having meltdowns again. I have also started feeling not-so-great too, so yesterday I went and refilled the prescription so I could put myself back on them.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

I was misdiagnosed with ADHD back in the 2nd grade; so I ended up having to swallow some form of a pill (Didn't like it at all)

That didn't work, and I wasn't given the AS diagnosis until the 4th grade.

Since then, no meds for me ^_^

Author/Writer

FightingAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2012, 11:21 pm

unduki wrote:
Inositol for depression
Phosphadytlcholine and Phosphadytlserine - for focus
L-glutathione - focus

all over the counter

cannabis for epilepsy

Been thinking of taking Inositol, is that working for you? How about glutathione? PS is too expensive.

ty

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 12:26 am

Depakote
Abilify
Effexor
Doxepin
Vistaril

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 12:40 am

littlelily613 wrote:
<post about Cipralex>

Hi. I was on escitalopram (Cipralex aka Lexapro) for a few months earlier this year. Like you, the cost of this particular med was starting to get prohibitive for me. I consulted my psychiatrist about alternatives. The difference in chemical structure between escitalopram and citalopram (Celexa) is very small. It is possible to switch directly from one to the other without a ween down and titrate back up process as you would when switching between some other similar antidepressants.

Citalopram is off patent and is available as a generic. I recommend you ask your doctor about possibly making this switch. The difference in cost is significant.

madnak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2012, 3:42 am

clomipramine (Anafranil)
lamotrigine (Lamictal)
clonazepam (Klonopin)

That's likely to change the next time I see my psychiatrist. My meds are always changing.

CannabisForAutism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2012, 5:52 am

I use cannabis to treat my asperger's and ashtanga yoga to treat the secondary problems (anxiety, depression), and also to reduce damage from smoking.

www.facebook.com/cfoura

FightingAspie

16 Nov 2012, 6:38 am

CannabisForAutism wrote:
I use cannabis to treat my asperger's and ashtanga yoga to treat the secondary problems (anxiety, depression), and also to reduce damage from smoking.

Hows that working out for you? The cannabis.

birds
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

at the moment:
pristiq (desvenfalaxine) for major depressive disorder
vitamin d supplements for SAD
temazepam & trazodone nightly for insomnia.

i have been on 7 or 8 psych meds throughout the years and none of them have done anything. i am starting to wonder if my depression is simply a learned pattern of behaviour as opposed to a neurotransmitter imbalance. when i was withdrawing from my previous SSRI i was surprised at the intensity of my emotions and the resurgence of my sex drive... the medications seem to stifle the good as well as the bad, so you're no longer suicidal, but no longer happy or motivated either -- just left floating aimlessly in blank anhedonia.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

-Clomipramine/Anafranil: OCD/panic attacks
-Daytrana transdermal methylphenidate patch: idiopathic hypersomnia

Nash: Is there a difference?