Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm

It could be worse,Wendigo psychosis.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 12:37 am

So if you like playing games and spending a lot of time on that. Then you're an addict wonderful. Guess they don't know.what hobby means.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 1:30 am

I have heard of severe cases of it where the person doesn't ever go to bed or eat and they skip school or call in sick just so they stay at home and play their game. Same as quitting their job. I have even heard of teens dying from it because they never went to bed so the lack of sleep killed them. Dr. Phil even did a show on it and I couldn't help but feel angry at the game addict because he was neglecting his whole family and they were about to lose their house if I remember correctly and the husband had quit his job because he would rather be on the computer playing the game rather than work to make a living and to help out with the kids. So yeah I can see why it's becoming a disorder. If it doesn't take over your life and it doesn't keep you from going to work or school and you don't neglect your house duties or your kids, then it's not a game addiction nor a disorder.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:26 am

One to two hours? No can do.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 2:43 am

What they probably need is an addiction-NOS diagnosis, for people whose attachments to various things have gotten out of hand and become uncontrollable, causing problems for them in their daily lives. Whether that's gambling, gaming, or even exercise, there should be a way to say "This person is in my office because he has been engaging in this activity to the point that it is affecting the quality of his life, or harming him or those around him, and he cannot stop on his own." These "addictions" are not quite the same thing as drug addiction because there's not a huge physical component; they are more like hobbies gone out of control, so that they control the person rather than the other way around. And they are not nearly as dangerous. The number of people who've died of self-neglect due to engaging in a non-stop hobby is miniscule compared to the people who have died because of damage from drug addictions.

There needs to be an exclusion criterion: "The problematic activity is not an unusually intense interest associated with an autism spectrum disorder, and is not a perseverative activity associated with a neurological condition or with another mental illness." Because an autistic special interest is a different thing, with a different cause and different features, from a run-of-the-mill non-drug addiction; and you need to make sure you're not classifying a paranoid obsession, an anxious habit, or an OCD compulsion as an addiction.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2012, 3:07 am

I was like that for yrs..sat in my room and never left until i got through all the levels then fell into bed about six in the morning exusted..that went on for yrs..but grew out of it!...thank god for that.. much more to do in life than sit at a PS..it's a waste of time and effort just for a game!..but i suppose for some people it's a way to escape from the real world..and passes the time if you are lonley so can understand as been there and done it!..but so dam addictive..just gets you lazy and fat :lol:

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 3:39 am

digging through the archives?