Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2012, 5:54 am

For those who like me have ADD, how many of you use medication to help with concentration and inattention? Of those that don't take anything how do you cope with these difficulties? I took methlyphenidate (ritalin then concerta) at school, but I've not taken anything for it for several years. I'm now studying again and having some difficulty with concentrating on my dissertation and other assignments. Any constructive input would be very welcome.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2012, 9:19 pm

Hello UDG!

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and have been placed on dextroamphetamine (by my dad) starting when I was in the 2nd grade. Although it has helped me paid attention in class and improve my grades, it made me more serious and more in a "work mode" than a "social mode" while I was on my ADHD medication. If you find it impossible to resolve your concentration and inattention problems without ADHD medication and those problems can lead to a dramatic change in your life in a negative manner, then I would suggest getting a doctor to write you a prescription for dextroamphetamine if you haven't already done so. I personally believe that out of all of the ADHD meds out there in the market, dextroamphetamine is the one with the least severe degree (and number) of side effects.

But whatever you do, do not use Straterra to resolve your concentration problems. Straterra increases the risk of suicidal thoughts in people who take it and/or increases the risk of emotional outbursts/disturbances in people who take it. During the first few weeks of my freshman year of high school, I was placed on Straterra to improve concentration. But I realized quickly that all it really did was make me more prone to have emotional outbursts/acting out in class. Thus, I told my father of this and he took me off of it.

Bottom line: Go for dextroamphetamine and stay away from Strattera.

I hope this helps you and good luck on your dissertation. What are you doing your dissertation on?