Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 10:27 am

I had to go on the contraceptive pill to calm my periods down because since I started my periods at 13 I've had nothing but pains with nearly each period, and it wasn't just the pain that caused weakness for me, it was more so the terrible nausea I got with it. I was never physically with them, but I was almost sick, and I knew that one day I will be sick, so I went on the contraceptive pill when I was 18, and I've had bearable pains with my periods since, with no nausea.

The phobia I've got with sickness is intense. Nobody likes being sick, and lots of people do have a phobia of vomiting, but my phobia is an issue, and sometimes it can be as interferring as a disorder, so I sometimes call it a disorder.

I don't drink alcohol because I'm scared of being sick, which is another reason why I don't go out to clubs and bars. People have often said to me that your body has to build up some sort of immunity to alcohol, and so the majority of people are intolerable to even two or three pints of alcohol when they very first do it. I don't even want to build up an immunity to alcohol because I don't want to have a hangover at all. Besides, drinking alcohol isn't a life's necessity anyway.

I am afraid to go on certain fairground rides in case I be sick. I remember when I went to a theme park with my mum, my auntie and my cousin, and I felt so sick that I had to sit down and concentrate so hard on not being sick. I sat very still, and my face was going whiter and whiter, and I did not move a muscle because I knew that even if I moved a finger or a cheek, I would be sick. So I just sat as still as I can (not minding what other people thought) and soon enough the nausea wore off and I was all right again. I do hate being in that situation.

I remember when I fell on the base of my spine a few months ago, and after that the nerve kept getting trapped which caused great pain, the pain was so bad that I had to quickly sit up straight and groan, ''ooooowwwwwwwwwwwww!! !'' But I'd rather be in that much pain than to feel sick! True fact.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 1:33 pm

Help, there is a norovirus that is rife and it is all on the news and they're saying that it's worse this year than ever. And I work at a care home where nasty things like that are likely to go around and might be unavoidable no matter how carefully I wash my hands.

I thought I'd better not start a new thread on this because some members here are rude to me when I start new threads about my phobias. It's just that it sometimes helps to share it on here, since my phobias are what causes the most issues in my life, since I get so overanxious about them. I have talked about it to my mum and her sister but I ended up shaking and crying and threatening to not go into work until ths norovirus has died down, but I can't do that because I don't really want to miss any days off work just for that.
I'm currently suffering from an ear infection, and I am due for a period, so I do not want to be ill all over Christmas.

I just hate being sick. Some people can just do a couple of coughs and it all comes up. Me, I gag, make awful belching noises, and it takes like 2-3 minutes for it to actually come out, that I almost lose my breath and start panicking. I really hate the norovirus, and I don't mean this personally but I do really hate people for getting this nasty thing and passing it around, especially those types who pick it up all the time. I am immune to these nasty things and so are my family, but I suppose one of us have to get this sooner or later. My stupid dumb brother doesn't have any sense of hygiene and so if someone at his work was sick, he probably wouldn't even think to wash his hands or stay away from them because he doesn't have a phobia like I do. Some people don't think about it at all until they actually get it. If he brings it home, I will kick his door in.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2012, 1:57 pm

My sister just had this or something similar last week, I havent caught it yet (knock on wood) but I share your fears. I was actually pretty rude to her, she was staying at our house when she came down with it and i kept asking her to leave and go home out of fear id get it, like your brother she has terrible hygeine and never washes her hands after the loo or anything (my room is right next to the bathroom so i can hear if she does or not and she never does). She did go back to hers in the end but i felt terrible for being so seemingly unsympathetic, i cant help it though it just terrifies me more than any other kind of illness. I went around and disinfected the bathroom completely after she left, as well as the room she was sleeping in.

Its been 11 years since I had a virus and I can still remember how awful it was. To me the worst thing about being sick isnt the act itself, though that is terrible, but the feeling of nausea. I hate it when you are so nauseous that you cant do anything, no position you lie in helps and your stomach lurches every time you move. You can take dramamine or other anti-emetics though to stop you from being sick. Physical sickness doesnt affect how long you have the illness for, theres no need to "get it out" as some people say, your antibodies will clear the virus within a couple of days whether you empty your stomach or not, though being sick will often make you feel better temporarily. Just go to superdrug and buy a box of anti-sickness pills. .

Dont start panicking about it before you get it though as thats just pointless and you will only start making yourself feel sick out of worry. If someone comes down with it in your house or at work just practice basic hygeine, wash your hands after being in the bathroom and avoid people you know who have had it as best you can for a week or so after they get better. Most people stop being contagious after a couple of days of feeling better though. And just because its around more this year apparently still doesnt mean youll catch it. Its around every year and like you said you havent had it in years, nothings changed and youll most likely get through this winter without catching it too.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Ever since I was little, I have always been afraid of throwing up. I hate everything to do with it. I will never drink, have kids, or go to an amusement park because I don't like throw up. When I was 8, it turned into germophobia. I had to wash my hands all day and carry germ-x and rubber gloves and cover my face with a homemade mask at the doctor's office, and I used to have a celebration and mark milestones on my calendar of certain amounts of time gone without throwing up, as well as remember the exact dates of incidents and I often have nightmares about it. I have to drink grade juice or swallow mouth wash every time I'm near someone with the flu and I think they should make epicac illegal, etc. anyone else have this?

Fear of vomiting? I have always had that. It was really bad when I was a kid, too.

lynn7465
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2012, 4:48 pm

google emetophobia, theres lots about it on the net

daughter189
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2012, 6:51 pm

I have this phobia too and it kind of ruins my life. Plus no one really understands. There's a forum for it, but reading the posts can make you more anxious!

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:11 pm

I like vomiting because I usually stop feeling nauseous when I do.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:16 pm

I don't mind vomiting at all if I have to vomit. Like a previous poster said, it can make you feel better temporarily. That, and I often psychosomatize in my stomach--usually via diarrhea, but I can count on both fingers the number of times I've vomited due to anxiety.

But, yeah. If you are sick to stomach and fear vomiting, just buy the anti-nausea drugs.

daughter189
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2012, 7:15 am

Jellybean wrote:
It is indeed called emetephobia. I had it and still do to a lesser extent. It is often caused by childhood trauma involving either yourself or seeing someone else vomit. In my case my Mum suffered from severe Menieres disease and every time she got a dizzy spell she would be violently sick. Just like Joe90 I feel as if the process leading up to throwing up is long and causes so much distress. I have got better to some extent as I no longer spend my entire life worrying about whether I might catch a bug or not. When I did it was horrible. Another factor for my fear was that I didn't throw up between the age of 12 and 19. When it finally happened I mistakenly proclaimed 'I'm free!' but I wasn't. It's taken another 5 years to get control of my phobia. I definitely am better now though because a sicky bug has been going round our house, I caught it and just let it get on it's merry way!

How did your phobia improve? I'd really like to get over this! Thanks x

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 9:04 am

Oberoth wrote:
I like vomiting because I usually stop feeling nauseous when I do.

It's just the process is overwhelming.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 2:33 pm

Sorry to bump this topic again but today someone told me that they heard somebody who had severe emetophobia committed suicide because of the norovirus being rife where he lived and worked, and he always said he'd rather die than be sick. If I had the guts, I would do the same.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

Yeah, whatever issues Asperger's causes me, it's nothing even close to how severely my life is affected by my Emetophobia. I've had a phobia of vomiting since I was around 19. For a few years, I couldn't go anywhere without getting worked up with anxiety that I might spontaneously feel sick and get sick. My only panic attacks were caused by this and I'm actually pretty sure it's cost me more friendships and schooling success than Asperger's. It's too bad we're so obsessive by nature. Anyway, I'm the same Joe90; almost every stray cough causes me to jump for fear that someone's going to throw up and whenever I read Facebook statuses about someone being sick, I flip out. I even got therapy for this back in '09 but nothing seemed to help. Right now, I'd say the fear is only about 60% as severe as it used to be but still something that I devote conscious thought to every single day.

Last edited by windtreeman on 28 Dec 2012, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Dec 2012, 6:43 pm

I have to baby my esophogus now. The last time I threw up, (wich was when I had that nasty flu or whatever it was) I strained my side by gently puking. I guess I can thank my self for being a tremendous idiot and absuing alcohol for this, So until my esophogus heals itself I have to act this way

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2012, 1:58 am

I've had that exact same fear my entire life. Absolute, crippling fear of vomiting/seeing vomit/smelling vomit. I live in perpetual terror of food poisoning, or getting sick some other way. I will never drink, and doubt I will ever get pregnant, just because I fear vomiting so much.

The other thing is that I have pretty chronic nausea, which makes the whole thing so much worse. I haven't vomited since I was 11, though.

If someone in my house is sick, I go crazy with washing my hands and insisting they stay in another part of the house and do not use the same bathroom as I do. If they repeatedly invade my space, I'm likely to have a massive meltdown.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 1:14 pm

I just can't cope with living with these nasty things going about any more. It's really stressing me out. It's even worse that I work at a care home. The norovirus is rife, apparently more worse this year than last year, and it specifically says that it is spreading like wild fire at schools, hospitals and care homes. The bug hasn't reached my care home yet but I know it will soon enough. There's a bad cough going around at the moment where lots of residents have got bad chest infections and are coughing (but not sick, they are eating and everything) but getting a cough doesn't worry me at all. I have healthy lungs and when I do get a cough it never affects me that bad, sometimes nothing hardly happens, I just get a bit of a tight chest and maybe coughing for a couple of days then it goes away quite rapidly, without having to use any medication. I've had more coughs in my life than sick bugs, so hopefully if I am healthy against a bad cough that is going about then hopefully I will be healthy against a sick bug that may go about.

I've seen face masks in the cupboard but they look like they have been used, and someone else said that aswell. But I am not very happy with my work place at the moment because they have ran out of stuff like correct germ-killing cleaning products and latex gloves, and haven't seemed to have ordered any more. I find this is very bad, especially this time of the year where there are more things going about. Tomorrow's another day of having to make do with what we've got, and I just hope new orders come in by next week, otherwise we're going to run out of everything completely and there won't be anything left.

lostexplorer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

I too have a strong fear of vomiting, and the norovirus frightens me more than murder.
I just want to fast forward time to maybe April when the disease from hell will be less of a risk.

I've had a lot of different fears throughout my life (dogs, sudden loud noises) and this is definitely the worst one of all.

I have never had it thankfully, and I hope to stay that way.

This might help you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... liebrooker

(Contains some strong language and ironic humour)