Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Burns
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

Most NT's use it as a generic greeting and don't actually want to know the true answer. I however, am a firm believer in the philosophy of not asking a question that you don't really want to know the answer to. I try to practice this on a regular basis with my students. If I ask a question and get an honest answer, even if it is one that I didn't expect or particularly like, I still respect them for being honest and do not get offended. In my everyday life, I do occasionally use this expression (more out of habit), but still try to stick to the previously stated philosophy. If someone answers my "How's it going?" with a genuine answer, regardless of how well I know them, I do try to take the time to listen. After all, I did ask the question. As a NT I generally have two ways that I answer to this question. I say that "I am fine" and then return the question, if in fact I am doing fine or I say "I have been better", if I am anything other than fine. If they probe I will elaborate and if not I leave it at that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 11:20 pm

To use the native dialect,"Fair to middlin'."

If you tell them you" feel like you have one foot in the grave and the other on a greased tuna" they look at you funny.

My ex used to say, "about as good as a goose with one foot nailed to a board."

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 11:49 pm

I just say, "I'm well" or "I'm okay". I say that I'm okay if I am iffy, or not great. If I am doing REALLY bad, they don't need to ask, as I am likely in or near meltdown mode. I don't often get more prompting after either of those responses.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2012, 9:02 am

Depends on who is asking..if it's the general public i will say fine thanks..if it's something to do with my AS and it's a doc..then i spill the beans and tell the truth :lol: ...not that it does much good!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

thomas81 wrote:
Does anyone have any mechanisms with dealing with this question? I really dislike it because its one of the NT catch-questions that is designed to provoke a positive response, regardless of how you genuinely feel.

If you are honest and give a negative answer, they act offended.

The response I give now is "Oh, same as usual" it always throws them :D

over time i got used to the social nicety of saying, "fine" even when i don't really mean it.

then i moved to the UK where people just greet me with, "you all right?" i don't even know how i am supposed to respond to that. it's the standard phrase in stores and such.

seatbeltblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

Lately I've taken to answering "How you doin," with "I'm doin," and and "how's it going?" with "It's going."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

"Good"

Always the same response I give.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Utnapishtim
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2012, 11:47 am

Its "yer alright?" around my way, in which I response back with a "sound ta and yer?" (Am great thanks and yourself?)

hyperlexian wrote:
then i moved to the UK where people just greet me with, "you all right?" i don't even know how i am supposed to respond to that. it's the standard phrase in stores and such.

mmm :roll: If its "alright" then its hello so just say alright back to the person. Now if its "you (or yer) alright?" its How are you?; a reply of great, sound or boss with do the job. :wink:

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 11:55 am

Now I usually respond with "good, how are you?". I stopped trying to give accurate answers several years ago as few were interested. :?

Reminds me of:
-"But surely I owe you an accurate answer!"

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 11:59 am

Usually I'll respond with "fine" or if I'm working on my sarcasm skills that day I'll respond with "marvelous".

The question that really throws me is: "How are you feeling?". Yikes - deer in the headlights moment. My wife used to ask me that question and the response from me would be along the lines: "Umm - dinner was good." She now knows not to ask me that question - but to be much more specific if she wants to understand what is going on with me...

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 12:11 pm

one-A-N wrote:
A: Hi! How are you?

B: Alexithymic, and you?

A: What's alexithymic?

B: It means, I don't know how I feel - and I wish you wouldn't ask.

In real life, usually I just look confused, and shake my head or shrug my shoulders and mutter something dismissive, with the unspoken meaning "I wish you wouldn't ask".

I am not very good at faking smiles and upbeat responses. Life requires enough acting as it is.

I just had to check the wikipedia entry for Alexithymia, and amazingly, autism isn't mentioned once.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2012, 12:14 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Does anyone have any mechanisms with dealing with this question? I really dislike it because its one of the NT catch-questions that is designed to provoke a positive response, regardless of how you genuinely feel.

If you are honest and give a negative answer, they act offended.

The response I give now is "Oh, same as usual" it always throws them :D

over time i got used to the social nicety of saying, "fine" even when i don't really mean it.

What is worse in the UK, when someone of the opposite gender or a homosexual person of the same gender is addressing you, they have a tendency to follow such abstract inquiries through with a term of endearment.

That always makes me blush.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 4:54 pm

hyperlexian wrote:

I have two possible answers for that one - "Not too bad, and you?". If I want to mess with their heads I answer "No, I'm half left".

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

I used to just say "fine" but have received some negative reactions from that. I think maybe my tone of voice gives it some kind of negative subtext that I don't intend.

Currently I understand that that question isn't a sincere one and is mostly just a greeting. So, I reply "Hi." To date the only person I have met who actually wants a complete answer to that question is my therapist.

If followup 'how are you doing' happens in response to my "Hi", I say "Oh, pretty good". I added the "oh" because that sounds more casual, as if I really did consider a legitimate answer to the question.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 5:45 pm

I know the "correct" answer is "fine thanks, you?" but often when taken by surprise I forget and answer truthfully which regularly means an answer of "I don't know".

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2012, 6:27 pm

My mood affects my answer
Mostly I just say the usual "Fine, how are you?" or "pretty good", but if I'm feeling particularly ornery I'll say something like this...
"How am I? Well, contrary to all of the negative factors that have been impressed upon me in the previous six to seven days, I feel rather energetic if not vigorous. How are you?

EQ=15 (low) SQ=27 (average)
Alexithymia Quiz=128/185 (high)
Enneagram type: 5 ("The Investigator")