Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2012, 6:27 pm

My mood affects my answer
Mostly I just say the usual "Fine, how are you?" or "pretty good", but if I'm feeling particularly ornery I'll say something like this...
"How am I? Well, contrary to all of the negative factors that have been impressed upon me in the previous six to seven days, I feel rather energetic if not vigorous. How are you?

EQ=15 (low) SQ=27 (average)
Alexithymia Quiz=128/185 (high)
Enneagram type: 5 ("The Investigator")

sbarne3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2012, 6:32 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I just had to check the wikipedia entry for Alexithymia, and amazingly, autism isn't mentioned once.

Actually there is a whole paragraph on it.
Wikipedia - Alexithymia - Comorbid medical and psychiatric illness

EQ=15 (low) SQ=27 (average)
Alexithymia Quiz=128/185 (high)
Enneagram type: 5 ("The Investigator")

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2012, 7:29 pm

Seems to be a harmless and common enough greeting to me. You could always say: "I'm just Ducky!!" LOL

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2012, 12:21 am

fine, good or OK with a smile or something works for me, scept when it doesn't

RedToaster
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2012, 11:54 pm

Like many others, I usually respond with "fine". If I am feeling frisky, then I will sometime mess with them by responding, "I am not unwell, thank you."

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 1:32 am

I always respond honestly, but I don't go into deep detail with strangers. If I feel crappy though I say "Hmm, so-so. I don't feel good today" or something.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 6:19 pm

I usually answer "I don't know" (or "Nothing" if the question is in a form applicable for this answer). I rarely have persistent moods, my emotions are very momentary.
So I answer honestly.

OutlandMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2012, 3:37 pm

This question used to baffle me every time, and I went thru a long phase where I'd answer honestly, which people sometimes took well and sometimes not.

Lately I have been answering with "Well enough" or some times "tall" ( I'm male and 5'10"), which really flummoxes some people. Well, now they know how it feels when someone asks me that!

Even though I (usually) know that the expected response is "fine" or "good" or some such, I just can't bring myself to say it. I feels coercive, and I am accepting defeat, like when a playground bully makes a smaller child say 'uncle'. Does that make sense?

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

The way I see it, "ok" has two meanings: actually "ok" and "I have nothing to say about it". So that's what I say. I'm starting to realize that I'm supposed to return the question, though. NTs always do, and when I don't people seem annoyed. I can never remember to actually do it, though: I get too flustered.

It took 33 years for that to dawn on me. So much for "exceptionally gifted". :roll:

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

I love this thread. Ah, to be understood. :wink:

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2012, 4:02 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Does anyone have any mechanisms with dealing with this question? I really dislike it because its one of the NT catch-questions that is designed to provoke a positive response, regardless of how you genuinely feel.

If you are honest and give a negative answer, they act offended.

The response I give now is "Oh, same as usual" it always throws them :D

My thoughts EXACTLY!! ! There must be some kind of telepathy between the two uf us :)

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

I'm usually honest. I only ask "How are you?" if I really want to know the answer. If I don't, I just say "Hi" to be polite. I never understood the whole "How are you?" deal. I mean, if you don't want to know the real answer, then don't ask.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2012, 6:03 pm

I'm not the best at this, though better than I used to be. I think it comes down to reciprocating...I generally say I'm fine, but am not always great in asking in return. However, I do sometimes ask 'how are you?' as a conversation opener and things can flow OK from that.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

If I'm good, I'll say I'm good, If I'm not not, I'll say that as well. I'm aware that you're "supposed" to say that you're fine, or good, but I think that the whole thing is stupid. If someone asks me a question, I'm going to give them the truth.