Average. 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Below average. 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Way below average. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 91

FightingAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Dec 2012, 10:14 pm

I suppose the results are what I expected...

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:27 pm

Above average, I think. I have been told a few times that I do not use words appropriate for an individual in my age group. Apparently, I use a few uncommon words usually only found on books without realizing how uncommon they really are. At least in brazilian portuguese.

Furthermore, I have some strange "language habits": words that few people use, but that I say at every opportunity I get. My standard vocabulary is very pedantic. However, the effect is usually ruined by my inability to speak clearly; if I am not comfortable with the person I am talking to, the words will sound "muffled". On the other hand, if I am comfortable, I will probably speak loudly and either in an excited tone or in a neutral one.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm

It's excellent when writing, but I don't sound nearly as elegant when speaking. :oops:

Edit: btw, I picked "Above average"

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

chaines321

07 Dec 2012, 11:23 pm

According to the WISC test that I took at age 17, I had the vocabulary of a 13 year old. My college english 097 teacher also told me that I need to increase my vocabulary.

I chose below average.

RedToaster
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2012, 11:34 pm

I think that my vocabulary is well above average; however, I fail to make any use of it. For this reason, I selected above average.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 11:58 pm

Although my grammar can be a bit Yoda-ish if I'm not concentrating, my vocabulary is in the bookworm category.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2012, 6:23 am

Definitely above average, but probably not way above average. I was hyperlexic when I was younger, but I seem to have lost that ability. I do read a lot, but I don't often see any new words that I don't know. Probably not reading the right kind of books for that. I am going to start a business as a proofreader so hopefully that will help to increase my vocabulary.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2012, 8:26 am

Above avarage, compared to my peers' vocabulary.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 10:29 am

In my advanced-level English classes in high school, when they gave us yearly tests to asses our vocabulary, I scored way higher than everyone else.

The same trend followed me into adulthood. I heart words.

I'm going with "above average." Besides, look at my user tag. I need to maintain my pretentiousness.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 11:57 am

I scored 98/100 on the verbal part of the ASVAB test,it's above average.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

my nickname at school was "dictionary" and my mother still blames me for my little brother (also an aspie) calling his 3rd grade sunday-school teacher an "uncultured swine" for misattributing a Dickens quote to Shakespeare...which we were both capable of recognizing with ease in elementary school. apparently when I started talking it was in full, grammatical, clearly pronounced sentences, at 2.

I've consciously combined the vocabularies of 4 or 5 other people (one who swore like a sailor, one a stereotypical middle aged southern woman, a few others I can recognize as distinct but don't recall who I borrowed from) to come up with something that most people can understand and that doesn't make me sound like I'm trying to put on airs or anything. as it was, at home dinner table arguments have referred back to the Greek, and when I first moved south people thought I was from England and kept calling me Niles Crane (we didn't watch tv at home so I had no idea).

I feel a little bit stupid for having terrible Latin and ergo limited comprehension of the side comments in period literature. as far as English, teachers would just ask me to pronounce words for the class since I invariably had a better Standard American/Trans-Atlantic accent than they did. I've had one or two teachers ask me to define words or phrases I've used in my writing since they weren't familiar with it. this happened more in elementary and middle school but I suspect college professors are too embarrassed to ask whereas grade school teachers aren't since their authority is supported by something other than presumed intellectual expertise.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

Last edited by Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2 on 08 Dec 2012, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Dec 2012, 12:19 pm

Compared to the dunces that I go to school with, way above average.

I voted Above Average, though. I love words, but there are still plenty that confuse me. :lol:

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 12:20 pm

I would guess my vocabulary is slightly above average, though in conversing I prefer brevity over verbosity.

People find me aloof and esoteric. The sophisticants of the world generally don't care what I have to say.

silentlyvela

08 Dec 2012, 12:34 pm

My vocabulary seems to be limited when compared to the rest of my family and have to look a lot of words up. I've been told I speak simply too. I selected below average.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 1:22 pm

Terrible

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2012, 7:51 pm

my interest involves reading so I imagine it is above average. i don't know "way above". i have a comprehensive vocabulary.