Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

NHASPIE629
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 8:39 pm

I'm having some issues lately with money. Well I actually usually always have money. It's very difficult for me and I'm in risk of losing my home now because of it. Does anyone have some of the same issues? Any advice or just a chat about it would be nice. It's been a long time since I've been on here and it's nice having someone to talk to.

henry14488
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2012, 9:20 pm

you can build a home in a forest where it can't be property taxed. and then get a farm

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm

Perhaps you could be a little more specific. Are you in debt, do you overspend or do you not earn enough to meet your outgoings? I don't know if you have anything similar where you live but in the UK we have something called the Citizens Advice Bureaux, they offer advice with managing money and debt as well. If there is is somewhere like that you could go that would be a good idea.

NHASPIE629
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm

I own a home buy my property taxes have skyrocketed. I had just enough to get by before but now I don't not have the extra 400 a month I must now pay. I've been juggling bills and trying to keep my home and somehow still pay my mortgage. It can be so stressful. I guess I wasn't looking for money help more just like what do you guys do to take your mind off of stress and stuff.

I guess I need help just with stress and being able to manage it. It can really suck sometimes. I can't function sometimes between asperger's and the stress. What do you guys do to relieve stress. It doesn't really matter. Anything I do I can't take my mind off of the stress.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm

Is there an outreach programme in your area that you can contact?

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:28 am

All the stuff I do when stressed is pretty unhealthy, so I wouldn't recommend any of it.

Perhaps you could try talking to someone you trust, going for a walk to clear your head when it feels like things are getting too much or finding a hobby that is cheap or free. It sounds like a very difficult situation, I hope things improve for you.

bluntedboywonder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

I have the same issue. The economy is part of the cause here, but honestly I don't have a knack for saving. Is this something typically autistic? I don't think so, but to me money does not have a real intrinsic value so I usually spend it all without properly thinking about it. I don't even spend it on gadgets or collections, just expensive food items or unnecessary trips by bus or train.

Diagnosis: Have Aspergers - Diagnosed

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

NHASPIE629 wrote:
What do you guys do to relieve stress. It doesn't really matter. Anything I do I can't take my mind off of the stress.

The only way that I can really cope with stress is to know that I'm doing all that I can to tackle the root cause of it. We're also finding that we cannot really afford our home at this time, so we've put it up for sale. In the mean time, we're selling some things, buying used whenever possible (even for Christmas) and resting in the fact that we're doing all that we can to put ourselves in a better financial situation.

We've also resolved to follow Dave Ramsey's (financial expert) "debt snowball" plan after we sell. Just knowing that we're in the process of gaining control of our financial situation helps with the stress.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:43 am

That seems quite the increase. Is this before america drives over the "fiscal cliff"?

Either sell the house or get more money.

Basically, you have stress because the demands of the environment exceed what you can meet. You can only change either the demand or the ability to meet it. Until then the only stress relief is the usual unhealthy methods or meditate or do some sport - I like boxing or tennis when stressed. Its a great way to let off steam and gather your thoughts for me.

In general I lack discipline with money. I'm pretty sure as a concept money wont last but until then you have to have impulse control with the wallet.

Briarsprout
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2012, 11:34 am

Some municipalities will "freeze" property taxes if one is a disabled veteran or if you have a documented disability on a fixed income.

I would look into these options perhaps if it seems applicable?

---

To deal with issues I try to address matters logically as possible and I meditate to keep thinks from "bonking" around in my mind that I do not really have control over anyway.

I also try to find things to laugh over ie movies etc. Laughter is a great stress reliever actually.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Dec 2012, 11:44 am

i have no useful advice but i wish you the best of luck man "answeraspergers" seemed to have some good thoughts

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 5:01 pm

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I'm having similar problems. I don't own a home: I live in an apartment, but my rent is going up and I'm not going to be able to afford that. In addition, the jobs I have here- (I work freelance) are basically "drying up", while my bills are constantly getting higher. It looks most likely that I will need to move to a different city, and find new jobs. I'm so tired of the stress this entails! To make matters worse, I had cancer a little over 3 years ago- (this was the start of my money problems, due to doctor's bills and missed work)- so I often feel that I just can't take any more stress. My way of dealing with it seems to be denial and withdrawal....which I know is not a good way of handling it, but this seems to be a psychological mechanism that I can't help. I guess I've been through so much turmoil and change, that now I tend to tenaciously hold on to my routines; although, probably what I most need to do at the moment is change things, and find real-world solutions to my problems. In fact, I was just going to start a thread today asking about Aspies and Inertia (since that seems to be what I'm going through). But, I saw this thread and decided to answer it instead. Maybe at some point I'll also start the other thread.....

Anyway, my way of dealing with stress seems to be doing what I like, which, I'm sure it's no surprise, is studying my special interest. So instead of doing what I *should* be doing (if I could even figure out what that is exactly), I sit at home reading loads of books. I seem to just "get by" in my life, doing what I always did, clinging to life as I know it and my daily routines. When I think about making *any* kind of change, I just feel tired, and like I don't have the energy to deal with it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make this "all about me". :oops: (I guess I needed to get all that off my chest, huh!) I hope everything will work out for you. I think Aspies tend to feel stress a lot, and unfortunately I think this will be a constant challenge.