I have a good memory; 29%  29%  [ 27 ]
I have a bad memory; 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
Depends (please specify). 49%  49%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 92

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

I am curious, because I saw people on this forum claiming that they have a very good memory, and others saying they have a very bad one. About me, I have a very good memory: I can remember things quite easily, but I put "depends" in the pool, because I have a lot of troubles remembering people's faces. For example, if I see a person one day, I may forget how his/her faces looks like the day after. What about you?

Kyton
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2012, 2:53 pm

my short term memory couldnt be much worse, but i can remember minute details about events 10 years ago that the people involved in dont remember even happened...

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 3:40 pm

Excellent long-term memory but abysmal short-term memory.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

I can seem to only remember certain things in my life or facts and figures.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
Excellent long-term memory but abysmal short-term memory.

+1

TemporalSeries
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2012, 4:15 pm

I have a terrible short term memory. For my long term memory, I'm good at remembering numbers and other abstract things, and I'm bad at remembering names or events.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

My memory is normal really, both long term and short term. I sometimes forget things like sometimes at work I leave a chemical bottle in a resident's room when it should have been put away safely in the cupboard. But I think that is normal - today someone had left the key in the lock of the cupboard door, and moments later I saw them running up to it yelling, ''I forgot to take the key with me!'' in despair of themselves.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2012, 5:07 pm

My working memory is way above average, but I forget things really easily when I have to write them down.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm

I scare a lot of people with how well I remember things. Sometimes I'll randomly recall something from a conversation we had years ago, and they'll have no idea what I'm talking about lol. That said my memory isn't perfect or photographic or anything like that, but if something is important to me it typically sticks with me for life.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Dec 2012, 7:36 pm

Someone has to tell me specifically, or I have to tell myself, to remember something otherwise I don't class it as relevant information and I let it slip through my mind. I also find it easier to remember stuff if I have repeated, to myself, an instruction or bit of information, or if I have written it down somewhere, although I don't have to look at what I have written down to remember so it wastes paper.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 8:03 pm

Very poor short term memory, excellent long term memory.

platypi2
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2012, 8:35 pm

Interesting.... I'm seeing a lot of folks saying the same, that they have good long term memory and poor short term. That's me too.

I also find I can't intentionally remember things. It simply happens or doesn't... and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to what my mind retains and discards. There are entire years of my recent life (and I'm only 35 LOL it wasn't that long ago) that I can barely remember yet I can describe some things from when I was 2 or 3 in such vivid detail it's scary. My grandfather passed away when I was 2 but I still remember the sound of his voice perfectly. I can tell you where books are on the shelves at my parent's house, or what a specific recipe card looks like, who is allergic to or dislikes what foods, or name 20 different kinds of warblers OTTOMH or the name of every teacher I've ever had... but all I recall from an entire semester of Calculus for example is that the word "derivative" was involved somewhere.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 9:29 pm

Wait...

What was the question? :scratch:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Dec 2012, 9:57 pm

I don't have this "short term" or "long term" memory you speak of. My memory is very subjective, and I can only remember certain things that happened at random times. I can remember what I ate last night, but not what I had this morning. :scratch:

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

I guess it depends on if I'm interested in the subject.

I have worked on a number of projects (mostly film making) with a friend who remembers all sorts of details about what we were doing and when. I often have little or no memory of the events he describes. Yet I can remember details of conversations I have had 20 or 30 years ago. Odd. I look at some of the films I have made and, watching them now, while I know I was there making them, I only have the most tenuous memory of the experience.

I have always had a great deal of trouble with short term memory. I can't seem to remember more than about 4 numbers in a sequence... 5 if it's a sequence I'm familiar with. When someone tells me a phone number, I have to get them to pause while I write it down because by the time then get to the end of it, I'll have forgotten the beginning. If someone leaves a number on a message, I usually have to replay it 3 or 4 times to get it all.

I suspect all this makes me come across as a little bit thick to some people which is a little annoying because I'm really not that stupid.

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2012, 11:20 pm

I can't remember names at all of characters or real life people. However... well for instance, we held a mock trial for our scout troop the other day. Two weeks prior to this, we went through the facts of the fictional crime and did interviews with "witnesses" and stuff. Then when we held the mock trial and interviewed the defendant and the witnesses, well they were looking up their answers to the questions in their notes. So it was very tedious having them look up the questions, so I (a "lawyer") just started shouting out the correct answers to the person being interviewed. An example would be "where was the gun when you walked in?" and I just said "on the table" and then the "witness" just went with what I said :P I took a language test today and sort of didn't study for certain sections of the content because I didn't think I would be tested on it. Then when I got to the test, I was like "wtf, they're testing me on this?" But, the weird thing was that I knew all of the answers anyway. 8O
I know lots of facts about lots of stuff... off the top of my head... the Jones town Massacre: 918 people died in 1978. It resulted in the only death of a US congressman while in service (forgot his name). They had done rehearsals before hand to test if people would actually do it. Those who were too young too drink the potassium cyanide and sedative laced "flavor aid" (not cool-aid) were injected with hypodermic needles. :( Jim Jones was bisexual, but preached against any same-sex attraction. The name of the group was "The People's Temple". Jim Jones was known to having killed a cat with a stick and also held funerals for dead animals while he was a child. He studied Karl Marx and Adolf Hitler extensively. I believe it was 909 People's Temple members died, and 9 non-members were killed (not certain). Well, the point is that I can remember lots of very strange- in this case tragic, facts about stuff.