Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2006, 7:04 pm

On the BRIGHT side, he has a diagnoses, you and he probably have a good history, and the principle knows him. This CAN be explained away by three symptoms that are TEXTBOOK autistic. That is one reason why I think the two are related, and officially they are. It IS a shame so many lie, and these people don't care.

Steve

sandalwood
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2007, 4:44 pm

don't have much in the way of updates yet, other than i confirmed with CPS that the report had indeed been closed Unfounded. also confirmed that no prosecution had been started yet... i dont know what the typical turnaround time would be, though. i inquired roughly a month after the incident was "reported". will inquire again in a couple of weeks.

have observed my son (more than usual) over this holiday break. he seems to be displaying more meanness than i've seen before, directed at his brothers.. saying mean things on purpose, shutting down video games before he walks away so they can't play, etc. i dont know why or where it's coming from.

hope you're all having a good holiday-

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 5:03 pm

I don't know about the mean statements(Are they treating HIM ok?), but the idea of shutting down the video game makes sense. That in and of itself doesn't mean much.

Steve

sandalwood
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2007, 6:04 pm

well, it's the kind of thing like, when he's had his computer time and its his brother's turn, he'll close all the IE windows because he knows his 4-yr-old brother doesnt know how to open them back up. its just spite. which maybe is normal 8-YO behavior :p

he's started saying "shut up" a lot, trying to scare his brother no purpose, that kind of thing. i'd have hoped he'd be picking up on our example (as opposed to that of his classmates) and be more gentle over the holiday...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2007, 6:46 pm

He's saying shutup just for the noise?

Anyway, a 4 year old may still be seen as a nuisance by some older siblings in such a case. It will probably get better in 1-3 years. He may be concerned that his little brother is going to hurt his game or something.

Two more things. Apparantly some siblings just don't get along. ALSO, a lot of kids(I, and I guess many here are exceptions though.) listen to PEERS before themselves, and will listen to their parents only in some of the other circumstances. SO, if he listens to classmates before you, he is being normal.

I would listen to myself, and weigh the circumstances between peers and parents and other info. So my tastes in music, use of language, etc... were very different from my "peers".

As far as scareing his brother on purpose? I had an "uncle", actually just a male friend of my mother if you know what I mean, that would constantly try to scare me when I was a little kid. So I guess people might try to do that at any age. 8-(

Steve

sandalwood
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2007, 9:51 am

another update... since requesting the status of the report be changed from inconclusive to unfounded, i did get a letter from the police saying they determined my name had been sent to the central index (place for substantiated and inconclusive reports) incorrectly, meaning they must have re-classified the report. looks like the head detective did take the time to read my letter and understood that you can't take everything people say at face value. it was a form letter i got back, so this must happen more often than you think.

also took son to new child psych case manager for an intro. she didnt think there was much to be gained from therapy sessions, since learning to live with this degree of Aspergers basically involves re-teaching my son on a case by case basis, but she seemed willing to meet with us periodically. how has therapy helped any of your kids in the area of social appropriateness?