Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ACG
Raven
Raven

27 Nov 2006, 12:38 pm

Hi!

My company is giving out free flu shots. However, they have indicated that the shots have thimerosal in it, the infamous mercury derivative which has been theorized to cause (or exacerbate) autistic symptoms -- and I have mild AS. Should I take it? I'm 35 years old and in pretty good shape other than the AS.

I've got a funny feeling that since this particular flu vaccine isn't probably going to do much good against a bird flu pandemic anyway (especially since the bird flu fatalities are supposedly from overly excited immune systems, in which case a vaccine would just make things worse), it may not be worth it, but who knows...

Thanks in advance,

ACG

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 12:43 pm

I wouldn't if i was you. Mercury is a deadly poison.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 1:42 pm

I don't care how many people try to act like there isn't a link...I agree with bizarre. mercury is poison, regardless. I wouldn't do it.

mesious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2006, 1:49 pm

anecdotal evidence is way too often disregarded by close-minded scientists. don't take it.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2006, 3:54 pm

I would not take the shot simply because even if Mercury does not cause/exhaberate (sp?) ASDs, it certainly is a neurotoxin and as such, should not be put into someones blood stream anyways.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2006, 4:04 pm

there is no point having the jab, it does not in anyway affect the h5n1 strain of avian influenza

Stop talking trash

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 12:33 am

I wouldn't take it, NOT because of the thimerasol, but because of the actual viral DNA. More and more studies are starting to show some auties may have an unusual sensitivity to supposedly "broken" vaccines.

In addition, there are a LOT of people, autistic or not, who get sick from those flu shots, so clearly they're poorly broken up as far as vaccinations go.

If you hardly ever get sick with the flu, I doubt you have any real need for it.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2006, 10:01 am

I wouldn't take it. There are many more effective ways to prevent getting the flu than injecting yourself with a deadly poison that's inefective in preventing the flu. Every state has a medical exemption law so you can use that if they put the pressure on to get vaccinated.

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Nov 2006, 10:10 am

when they put mercury in the shots, it isn't enough to do anything. It's substantially less than it used to be.

If you're healthy and don't think you'll get the flu, I don't see a reason to get a shot. If you're in close proximity with people who might get the flu, or if you're predisposed to catch it, maybe you should think about getting the shot.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 11:23 am

I agree with Sophist and Alex, I don't believe Thimerisol has anything to do with autism. But the flu shot is unnecessary for a healthy person in their 30's. And yes, it can make people sick. I worked in healthcare for several years and never took it. Unfortunately, some people are required to do so in their state.
I would claim medical exemption.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 6:35 pm

Had I known about thimersol being in the flu shots I received while pregnant with my Autie son and NT (so far) girl, I would have avoided it altogether. As for myself, I'm considering getting the shot this year because both kiddos are allergic to the egg component of the vaccine. My husband works at a college and my son goes to preschool. I'd rather be the one who isn't responsible for passing along the flu or getting it since I take care of all three when they are sick at the same time.

Who had the bright idea of using a neurotoxin as a preservative, anyway? :roll:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 6:59 pm

Momoftom,

If she is over three, and developing normally, don't "worry". After speaking with people here, etc... I have to wonder really how negative even LFA really is. If your son is hurt, try getting some DECENT treatment. Maybe you can be happily surprised. If he is HFA or AS, treat him right, and try to accoodate him to some degree, and you may be proud and happy.

BTW They LOVE using poisons! Mercury and formaldehyde are two favorites! 8-(

Steve

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 7:23 pm

SteveK wrote:
Momoftom,

If she is over three, and developing normally, don't "worry". After speaking with people here, etc... I have to wonder really how negative even LFA really is. If your son is hurt, try getting some DECENT treatment. Maybe you can be happily surprised. If he is HFA or AS, treat him right, and try to accoodate him to some degree, and you may be proud and happy.

BTW They LOVE using poisons! Mercury and formaldehyde are two favorites! 8-(

Steve

She just had her 15 month shots yesterday. From what we've observed, she is okay, developmentally speaking. I'm not worried, per se, but it would not surprise me if she turned out like myself or her cousins on the spectrum. As for my son, he's been involved in early intervention and various therapies/ special ed preschool, and has come a long way. I'm also very proud of his abilities....he's the only 3 year-old I know who can count to over 300.

I'm not fully convinced that thimersol absolutely causes ASDs but would be more agreeable with it possibly worsening the condition of someone predispositioned to developing ASD.

nathan-51
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2007, 2:44 am

I do believe that there is no one cause of Asperger's or autism, and the possible link between vaccines and heavy metals, is very hotly debated and very controversial. An increasing number of NTs, wanting to do whatever they can to claim they have finally gained control over ASDs (and they never will, because they can never truly see or experience these differences for what they really are like we that have them do), claim that these preservatives are the primary cause, even the only cause of these conditions and chelating the toxins is the perfect solution. Don't believe them. Unlike some other conditions, there is no one place to put the blame on for the cause of any ASD, and no one should ever attempt to cure it, even if every last possible cause of every ASD was discovered and found. Because an ASD is not merely a difference, it's a part of who we as individuals are, and it is not a disease, as we all know. To ry to remove it would cause irreversible damage and wreak enormous havoc in our lives, causing far more harm than good.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 7:57 am

Wasn’t the guy who said the Mercury was lethal in another area of a dif type of Mercury, sure I seen this story somewhere...

As for coursing autism how many Needels are now linked to autism with no evidence...

MMR (Thrown out of court about 4 times now, with the people putting the case across having no qualifications in the area)

Next they will say Local Anesthetic linked to Autism

How to avoid getting the flu: 7 things that really work
More Tips for Avoiding the Flu
Natural flu remedies

http://www.fluhelp.org/

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 2:26 pm

I would go ahead and get the shot. A few seconds of mild pain from getting injected are well worth preventing ten days of dealing with a stuffy nose, a sore throat, and an unstoppable cough. As for thimerosal, it only harmful when given to a growing organism; a child or teen, to be exact. For adults, it should be OK. I've been getting flu shots for the past two years, and my AS didn't become more severe than it is now. I actually asked the physician administering the shots about it, and he told me that there is no danger for a non-growing organism. I say get the shot.