Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lbicke1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2007, 10:26 pm

My name is Lisa and I am currently working on a thesis attempting to increase the research done on Autism and its effects on parents and guardians. I am asking for participants to complete this survey which will only take about 20 minutes in order for me to gain as much information as I possibly can.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=905523099479

Purpose of the Study:
This study is designed to evaluate the stress levels of parents and/or guardians caring for one or more children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The stress levels will be assessed using a survey, allowing us to better understand what factors in caring for a child with ASD causes stress.

Procedures:
Participants will be asked to complete a survey about the severity of the child’s ASD and their own stress levels while caring for the child.

Risks/Discomfort:
There are no known risks associated with participation in this study. Should the test become distressing to you, you have the option to not continue with the completion of the survey.

Benefits:
While there is no direct benefit to you, it is hoped that the results of this study will have beneficial effects to identify the factors that affect stress levels in caring for a child with ASD. We also hope the results of this study will contribute to the existing research on how caring for a child with ASD relates to stress levels.

Alternatives to Participation:
Participation in this study is voluntary. You are free to withdraw or discontinue participation at any time.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Jan 2007, 10:36 pm

Yeah I see you posted this same information 3 times. Maybe one post in the parenting forum would have been better.

Lbicke1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2007, 11:08 pm

yea im sorry about that. i am trying to get as many responses as i can. this is very important to me. i apologize for the numerous posts, i am new at the forum thing. thanks for the responses though!

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 12:02 am

(Parenting Stress Index)

I like these question's it why I get angry at my parent for not understanding my point of view... & that I am different to her... or a normal person...

And also how I find it very self-centered about they child, how about the childs feeling of them thinking negative about not doing the normal human stuff...

/*
2. I find myself giving up more of my life to meet my children’s needs that I ever expected.

15. My child smiles as me much less that I expected.

20. My child is not able to do as much as I expected.

33. Think carefully and count the number of things which your child does that bother you. (For example: dawdles, refuses to listen, overactive, cries, interrupts, fights, whines, etc.)

35. My child turned out to be more of a problem than I had expected.

(Love to know the results to these ones...)
*/

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 3:30 am

It's a pity you don't allow the child to comment. For logitech, heer is what MY paents said:

2. I find myself giving up more of my life to meet my children’s needs that I ever expected.

My mother had to raise me alone, so I guess it would be yes, otherwise NO.

15. My child smiles as me much less that I expected.

YES, but that wasn't anything bad. What o you expect with such a question?

20. My child is not able to do as much as I expected.

NO, I did better than they expected

33. Think carefully and count the number of things which your child does that bother you. (For example: dawdles, refuses to listen, overactive, cries, interrupts, fights, whines, etc.)

refuses to listen. Well, they did ALSO, so...

35. My child turned out to be more of a problem than I had expected.

NOPE! To this day, they ask ME for help!

Steve

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 9:31 am

I c/o of the survey's questions at the parent forum. But I hadn't taken much of a look at those last questions. They are so subjective! And irrevelant to caring for any particular child. I mean a depressed person will answer negatively regardless of their children's special needs or achievements. I'm sure my parents think I ended a miserable failure.
My answers two weeks ago would be considerably different from today's answers. Oh well.