Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:13 pm

It seems that most people here like a dim room and get hypersensitive to light. I'm the opposite - I have never liked a dim room. It seems my eyes get sensitive to dim-lit rooms, and when I'm in a dim-lit room (a room with a dim light or getting dusk outside with no lights on in the room), I feel my eyes begin to hurt as though my pupils are stretched as wide as they can get, which feels very uncomfortable.

Sometimes on a dull day I put lights on, and often my mum says ''what's the light doing on in the middle of the day? Is doesn't need to be on?''

Anyone else like this with lights, or is it just me?

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 2:22 pm

I need a lot of light to see well. Dim light is alright if I'm just watching TV. Trying to do something in dim light is like my recurring nightmares of having to get something done but I can barely see it.

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

Im short sighted and cannot see well without bright lights, but they hurt my eyes alot. I can live with a bright room, and love to put lights on to work and that.
But yea, will turn em off when im not reading or what not as it hurts. Weird huh :D

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2012, 3:19 pm

Though most likely neither is as much of a problem for me as for many others here, I'm bothered by both bright and dim lighting. To be comfortable I need a fairly well-lit room, but evenly lit and not too bright.

I don't see well in dim light (anymore), but bright light bothers me quite a bit, as does high contrast. Worst case is a dimly lit room with a few bright objects in my field of view... I can't stand table and desk lamps unless they can be placed out of the way where I don't have to face them.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 5:06 pm

I like the dark

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2012, 6:20 pm

heck no, if I could do everything by candlelight I would.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

Yes, I am exactly like that. I need bright light to be comfortable. I was wondering about that, too, because many people here on Wrong Planet seem to be sensitive to bright light. Even other people (at work etc) tend to say a dimly-lit room is cozy and comfortable, which I never understand. I feel very uncomfortable in dim light even when I'm not doing anything. I prefer bight fluorescent light. I believe this is because of the way I was brought up. My parents' place is always bight with fluorescent lights.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

Your eyes and your personal experences would have more to do with that than anything else.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2012, 10:05 pm

Yeah, 99% of the time, I have the blinds closed and lights off but there are occasions where the constant darkness frustrates me and I'm inclined to turn on all the lights and kind of 'reset' I suppose.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 5:42 am

i prefer dim lights.
i do have my blinds closed and half the lighting on during the day, becouse that light is constant, other then the sunlight (especially since i get water reflections trough the bigger windows).
if light gets too bright, i become fully blind, yet i have never been somewhere with not enough light to see where i'm going. this gets most annoying if i'm cycling by night: many street lights are at such extreme levels i need to wear my sunglasses at 3 am, just to not get blinded by them

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 6:17 am

I prefer brightly lit rooms too. I just feel better in bright light. Overcast days really bug me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

zoid
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

I prefer lots of light. lots of windows. My house has open fields all around it, only a few trees.
This room has a chandelier with 5- 100w equiv. CFLs in it that I turn on when I do electronic work.
It's like full sunshine when it's on. The windows also provide passive solar heat on cold sunny days.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 7:05 pm

I prefer a dimly lit room with candles.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 8:10 pm

I prefer lots of light only if it's natural light. Fluorescent lighting has got to go. If dark outside I prefer dim lighting in the house unless I'm doing some fine task that needs good task lighting.

My place of work was kind enough to accommodate me by turning off the fluorescents above my desk and buying me a halogen desk lamp.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

I like sunlight, and incandescent light doesn't bother me so long as it's not excessive or right in my face. Bright white fluorescent lights, I hate.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm

I am indifferent, bright, dim, it is all the same to me.