Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2012, 2:04 am

I am stuck at work and about on the verge of a meltdown. The feeling of just stress is coming and going.
It's all those noises and just needing time to wind down
Grr

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 2:16 am

Help for the future: earplugs! Those fancy ones where you can regulate how much noise they cancel so you still can hold a conversation if you have to. Don't know what to do right now though.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 4:47 am

if you are on the verge of a meltdown; take a break, now!
what helps for me is going to the toilet for a bit, just meditating into calmness, noone can blame you for taking a toilet break.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 10:46 am

Earplugs are OK sometimes, but using them too much can cause ear infections. I got into a habit of using my earplugs, any little normal household noises became very distracting for me, so I took to using earplugs nearly all the time, and now I am suffering from an ear infection, and the doctor said to not listen to too loud music nor use ear plugs. There's nothing else an Aspie can do when in that situation.

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2012, 10:53 am

izzeme wrote:
what helps for me is going to the toilet for a bit, just meditating into calmness, noone can blame you for taking a toilet break.

This is what I used to do when I felt on the verge while at work. It saved me many times. Deep, slow breaths help me too, and thinking about something completely comforting and unrelated to work (my pets are always a good source for that), or just emptying my mind as best I can.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 11:07 am

BlueAbyss wrote:
izzeme wrote:

This is what I used to do when I felt on the verge while at work. It saved me many times. Deep, slow breaths help me too, and thinking about something completely comforting and unrelated to work (my pets are always a good source for that), or just emptying my mind as best I can.

Yeah, I agree, go to the washroom and hide for awhile.

For next time you could use earplugs. Foam earplugs work fairly well IF you follow the directions on the back of the package and roll them into thin cylinders with no creases and hold open your ear canal with one hand while inserting them with the other. They won't block out everything but will just dull sounds. Still, like Joe90 said you might get ear infections if you wear them constantly and also people at work will probably notice and ask you about them. People ask me about mine....they often think they're hearing hearing aids but I just tell them they're earplugs and I'm sensitive to certain noises and then they leave me alone about them.

Timmers
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

If possible grab some headphones and listen to some relaxing music while your working. Id recommend getting good noise canceling headphones at some point in the near future.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2012, 6:26 pm

Headphones (the really good pair of earbuds, I swear by SkullCandy -- Heavy Medal model) , Will Ackerman or Windham Hill (acoustic like new age style music), and a meeting room where I can still get access to the network.

Those three things have saved me 100s of times.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.