Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2012, 5:27 pm

I have a very weird memory. I can remember things that happened years ago very precisely, and I can also remember a lot of things about my interests. But, I have a very bad memory for other things: for example, I have a lot of troubles remembering people's faces, and I also have troubles remembering where I just put a thing, and I immediately forget what a person just said to me, or, if someone or something interrupts me, I forget after a few seconds what I wanted to say, or what I was about to say. Also, I can forget after a few seconds an action I was about to do, if I'm interrupted by something. Can anyone else relate?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:32 pm

Ditto to everything you said with the exception of faces which I remember very well.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:40 pm

I don't know if it's normal, but that sure sounds exactly like my memory. I also have a terrible time remembering names and not just people names, but also places, company names, book/film/comic/song titles, etc. It's like my brain has insufficient RAM.

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2012, 5:47 pm

I can relate to all of that, yes. It's like I have a very good memory, but it doesn't work on demand. I remember something when it naturally fits into my train of thought or something reminds me of it, but not when I'm trying to remember it. I also have a hard time remembering when things happened, or what order they happened in (especially things that aren't related to each other). To me, a memory of something that happened 15 years ago doesn't seem different from a memory of something that happened last week.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 6:38 pm

+1 to everything above.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 8:56 pm

Yes... I can have terrible memory. I've fount to have a very weak short term memory and have problems with long term memory such as having no memory of other people, putting facts to figures etc. Despite that, I can retain vast quantities of memory, as long it is my special interest... :?

It is part of my need requirements to keep a detailed note book and electronic alert system. Detailing dates, who said what, important schedules, random thoughts etc.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2012, 3:58 am

I agree with the faces part - in the past I've had many cases of people saying "Hi" to me on the street, and I had no idea who they were.

I also have trouble recognizing former classmates if I haven't seen them in years. But they always recognize me.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 4:45 am

To the OP: That describes my memory very well, with the only exception being facial recognition.

nonames
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2012, 4:33 pm

I have the same problem. While I can only remember people by their face, I often forget their face quickly. I also have the other problems you mentioned.

Ooccoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Dec 2012, 4:37 pm

My memory is pretty much the same and it can be a right pain at times XD

CatXD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2012, 4:56 pm

I have the same problems. When i'm doing something and i start thinking about other things i can't remember what i was doing or it takes a while before i remember.

Also recognising people is a problem. Sometimes people come to me and say something like "hi how have you been?" but I just don't remember who they are.
Their face might look familiar but i can't place it.
Only when and if they say from where i should know them from i remember (sometimes).

My memory from things in the past is the same as kairi.
Something i did a week ago seems as far away as an event from years ago.

(Sorry if there are any mistakes, english isn't my native language)

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

Very similar to you. I have problems with faces, especially out of context.
People always interrupt me when I talk - I leave "inappropriate" pauses - and then they say: "but you were saying?", and I have no idea...

Partly, when interrupted, I "forget" because I reckon if they interrupt then they have no interest in what I was saying. But generally I simply forget.

It's getting much worse the last few years.

yellowlab

20 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

In some ways I can relate I have a pretty good memory myself but sometimes the short things is what I struggle with like when I studing for something I have a hard time remembering it

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 6:28 pm

Kairi96 wrote:
I have a very weird memory. I can remember things that happened years ago very precisely, and I can also remember a lot of things about my interests. But, I have a very bad memory for other things: for example, I have a lot of troubles remembering people's faces, and I also have troubles remembering where I just put a thing, and I immediately forget what a person just said to me, or, if someone or something interrupts me, I forget after a few seconds what I wanted to say, or what I was about to say. Also, I can forget after a few seconds an action I was about to do, if I'm interrupted by something. Can anyone else relate?

My memory is like this too.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

i dont remember faces.. i score zero on facial recognition tests.. I tend to remember a person by the circmstances of where i meet them,, like,, if i know a person from being a bus driver in uniform,, i wont remember who they are if i see them in the store in street clothes,, very frustrating,, yet i can remember data and facts.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

Kairi96 wrote:

The thing you described about not recognizing faces is common in people with AS - it's called prosopagnosia, and it's thought that it may affect up to 2.5% of the general population (including NTs). Oliver Sacks, a famous neurologist, has it and has written about it. It's one of those disorders that used to be thought of as really rare, like Tourette's, but then there was a 2006 study in the American Journal of Medical Genetics and that changed.http://pic.plover.com/prosopagnosia.pdf