Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 7:47 pm

Does anyone have any mechanisms with dealing with this question? I really dislike it because its one of the NT catch-questions that is designed to provoke a positive response, regardless of how you genuinely feel.

If you are honest and give a negative answer, they act offended.

The response I give now is "Oh, same as usual" it always throws them :D

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2012, 8:08 pm

I answer awkwardly "you know.. Same old"

The probing stops there.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

I've learned to just say something non-committal like "Fine..." and let it go in one word. It's what's expected, nothing more, and not worth fussing over.
When someone asks that question without sitting you down and looking all serious, they don't really want to know the answer - it's just some sort of ritual greeting thing.

I have used things like "I died yesterday" or "Hang on, I'll check... Yep, fine" but it's often not worth the effort of explaining how it was, y'know... a joke.
When a ritualistic, empty question is not followed by the ritualistic, empty reply - some people get really, really confused. :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

I just say I am fine to get it over with.

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2012, 8:18 pm

I usually just reply fine. Occasionally I will just ignore someone who asks me that and doesn't even look at me or walks quickly past me while asking it.

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm

I just say "I'm good", usually if someone asks me that question, they're trying to have a conversation with me. :p

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

I sometimes answer with an honest and detailed response, much to the questioner's annoyance.

On a similar thread, my neighbor often asks "what's up?" This is one I have a lot of trouble with. Is he asking what I have been doing lately? Or how I am feeling? Or a general question about my take on current events? I assume he's actually not asking anything; he's just making noise to be friendly, so I respond with some other vague friendly noise that doesn't mean anything.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:27 pm

I usually say "I don't know", but I don't recommend that.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:28 pm

Generally your answer should be proportionate to your relationship with the person.

If your just meeting someone, you should avoid answering in the negative unless you have an exact reason. Of course, if someone said "how are you" and your friend died last night, it would be ok to say not so good.

If you have a good friendship, you can answer honestly, but I find still that harping on the same problems can wear people down.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

My dad's favorite response, esp when he obviously wasn't ok, was "I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in". He'd say it cheerfully with a smile, and it had the virtue of being the truth. "Can't complain" is also another good stock response.

It has been my experience that anything short with a positive upbeat spin is an acceptable response. It is also a good idea to add a heartfelt "how are you?" and listen patiently to their reply. Remember, folks remember how you made them feel long than what you actually said, so make them feel valued and that you care, especially if you are talking with a co-worker.

Friends and family are more likely to want to hear the truth.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Last edited by CuriousKitten on 02 Dec 2012, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 8:45 pm

I use George Carlin style responses, like "I'm not dead" or "I am historically a-OK!"

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

seatbeltblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2012, 9:24 pm

I usually actually answer the question instead of saying fine. I imagine it drives people crazy.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:00 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Does anyone have any mechanisms with dealing with this question? I really dislike it because its one of the NT catch-questions that is designed to provoke a positive response, regardless of how you genuinely feel.

If you are honest and give a negative answer, they act offended.

The response I give now is "Oh, same as usual" it always throws them :D

Some people are like that, they only use it to be polite but don't expect a real answer, only "oh fine, you?". I tell it like it is, regardless of what they want to hear because they're dumb enough to ask, so if they don't want the real answer, they shouldn't ask lol.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

A: Hi! How are you?

B: Alexithymic, and you?

A: What's alexithymic?

B: It means, I don't know how I feel - and I wish you wouldn't ask.

In real life, usually I just look confused, and shake my head or shrug my shoulders and mutter something dismissive, with the unspoken meaning "I wish you wouldn't ask".

I am not very good at faking smiles and upbeat responses. Life requires enough acting as it is.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2012, 10:08 pm

I (nt) answer the 'how's it goin'' question with... same old - it's not that unusual

Burns
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

Most NT's use it as a generic greeting and don't actually want to know the true answer. I however, am a firm believer in the philosophy of not asking a question that you don't really want to know the answer to. I try to practice this on a regular basis with my students. If I ask a question and get an honest answer, even if it is one that I didn't expect or particularly like, I still respect them for being honest and do not get offended. In my everyday life, I do occasionally use this expression (more out of habit), but still try to stick to the previously stated philosophy. If someone answers my "How's it going?" with a genuine answer, regardless of how well I know them, I do try to take the time to listen. After all, I did ask the question. As a NT I generally have two ways that I answer to this question. I say that "I am fine" and then return the question, if in fact I am doing fine or I say "I have been better", if I am anything other than fine. If they probe I will elaborate and if not I leave it at that.