confused a bit about my assessment tests

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2012, 6:19 pm

i had the first part of my assessment today. now i'm a little bit confused, because the tests that i completed today didn't seem very asperger's related.

firstly, i was asked to draw a human figure, then another human figure of the other gender.
the second test was five pages of "fill in the blank" questions which covered a strangely wide variety of subjects.
the third test was a set of 540 true or false questions which i'm pretty sure are to gauge a person's general personality. (i'm sure to be categorized as avoidant.)

are tests such as the ones i've taken part of the normal evaluation for asperger's?

i was pretty much expecting to see questioning more in line with eye or face blindness, questions we see in some of the online aspie tests, as well as eq tests. ...he's also wanting my housemate to answer a questionnaire, because i've not lived with my family for a very long time. i see that as sensible, even though housemate does not want to take part in assessing me.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 6:48 pm

I didn't go through those sorts of tests but depending on.how thorough the assessment is it makes sense to start with a personality test.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

Not for me. I did a bunch of cognitive testing using blocks, patterns, math-word problems, stuff like that. I also did the Asperger's quotient, tests for social anxiety, depression, yada-yada. But, my psychologist said he could get information other ways, too, from our appointments so, I don't know what they are after. Yeesh - 540 questions?? Wow - on top of the rest, that sounds exhausting!

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2012, 7:43 pm

Hm, how many appointments is your testing broken up into? I spent the better part of the first four hours of my six hour appointment doing tests that I thought had no relation to Asperger's as well...then spent the final two or so hours doing tests that were almost exclusively about autism.

reneeirena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2012, 7:54 pm

No, I don't think those are normal questions. But then again, none of the questions/activities they made me do made any sense really. It might have been the IQ component or something like that.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2012, 9:29 pm

Logicalmom, that's how my son had his testing last month. he remarked that towards the end, the questions of math and such were difficult. the doctor gave him iq and cognitive tests and observed behavior. my son, at long last has his official diagnosis of asperger's.
and yes, with my tests today, after the many pages of fill in the blanks questions, the 540 question true and false part tired me out. partly because they were grammatically confusing, had syntax errors and used odd terminology. i wanted to edit the whole thing!

windtreeman, i'm supposed to have one more appointment of about 2 hours or so. that would make it approximately 5 hours in total. i really hope some of the time will be recognizable as autism related. they made a mistake and never scheduled my appointment for mid january as i was told they would, so now i need to wait until third week of march. this displeases me. i really would prefer to know much sooner.

all in all, i'm a patient patient. i have no choice but to trust that this psychologist knows what he's doing.

Last edited by MaKin on 28 Dec 2012, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2012, 9:36 pm

good lord, my therapist gave me less than 50 questions, but she told me she strongly suspected I was an aspie in the waiting room before we even started our first session. she's said "I'm not going to officially diagnose you quite yet", I believe because she wants a second opinion to be safe, but she's already given my family a book on dealing with aspergers syndrome in adults, and says in therapy things like "oh that was your aspergers right there", so it's obvious that she thinks I have it.

my test was all yes or no questions, she asked me for my answers, compared them to answers she had done herself after a few sessions with me, and then brought my parents in to answer the same questions. we all got around the same score. that's about 2 or 3 hours of discussion total, but she'd already had the book to give to us before the second half. *shrug*

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression