Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

Hi,does anyone else feel that those that are about the same age as yourselves, are a lot older? I get this all the time.

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

I am 46 and I am out of step with my peers - as my whole life - I do better with older people or younger people.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2012, 12:03 pm

Snap! Do you feel like your peers are much older than you really are too??

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt

corastorm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2012, 12:06 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
I do better with older people or younger people.

I agree. As a child I preferred the company of adults. Now I would rather hang out with the kids.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2012, 12:08 pm

I prefer those much older than me, but not kids. That would be too weird. I do feel 18 all the time.

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 12:48 pm

I actually don't know how my peers really feel I sort of do what I enjoy. I think I am more just liking the way things were in the past.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 1:05 pm

Logicalmom wrote:
I am 46 and I am out of step with my peers - as my whole life - I do better with older people or younger people.

Ditto (I'm 52).

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 1:19 pm

I can't believe I'm 30 years old as I feel and act more like a 24 year old (hence my 22 year old GF). I also prefer the company of kids (especially babies and toddlers) or seniors. When I was a kid I hated going down "with the kids" and preferred to sit with the adults at gatherings although my parents obviously did not agree.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Dec 2012, 1:53 pm

I think that this is fairly common amongst Aspies! When I was eighteen, my best friend was a fourteen year old. She was flattered that I wanted to hang out with her, and I was glad to have a friend!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

Definitely. I got from therapists and a psychiatrist that dealing with people younger than me by a couple of years - just 3 years to be specific - must be boring and therefore not truly enjoyable to me but truth is, I'm totally fine with it. I totally don't feel how playing around with a kid on an afternoon means I must feel "not challenged enough" intelligence- or personality-wise.

I kept trying to explain that dealing with older people, dealing with peers and with "high IQ" people doesn't feel natural at all but with that therapist and health professional who just come up with the idea over and over, I gave up on explaining it. Actually, I really enjoy dealing with some people because dealing with them comes easier than dealing with other random people is and their ages span from 12 to, I think, 30ish.

I love being silly about video games with a kid! I don't feel bored and I sure don't feel as if that leaves me bored and intellectually unchallenged or anything. Gee! That's such rubbish about the IQ and age determining who you feel comfortable with, I'm sure it all comes down to the individual and whatever they think is fun.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2012, 5:35 pm

Yes. Though most of the people I know that are near my age or even a few years younger(sister's age) are married, have several children and or have jobs they can live off of that they enjoy or seem to enjoy.

I on the other hand have a part time job I don't like. On call and rarely called so might as well be unemployed. Never been in a relationship, still live with my parents, etc.

I do have one friend on SSI, but even she has her own place at the moment.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2012, 5:49 pm

I've always felt out of step with people my own age. But then I feel out of step with all age groups.

I'm usually treated as if I'm much younger than I am, with people I meet face to face. I know that I look younger. My parents also always looked younger than they were, so maybe it's genetics.

But it happens with people I only know online too, so I don't think it's only about appearing younger.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 5:54 pm

corastorm wrote:
Logicalmom wrote:
I do better with older people or younger people.

I agree. As a child I preferred the company of adults. Now I would rather hang out with the kids.

ditto.

i am stuck somewhere in transition. :lol:

most people i can relate to are <25.

that's half my bio-age or less. :?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2012, 6:20 pm

I have always felt younger than my peers. I always preferred younger age groups starting at age ten because we had more things in common and they wanted me around and liked playing with me. Kids my age were starting to reject me and they quit coming over to my house to play. We got older, their social skills got more developed, their interests changed and I was still the same person with the same interests as before so they quit coming over. Also they were starting to reject me at school, they started to do chit chat on the playground rather than playing. Lot of them were in a rush to grow up believing they were too old to play. But yet they played with their toys in private I found out in 5th grade. I never understood why it was so taboo. I never hid that about myself in school. But yet they bring toys to school and in 6th grade I would see these three group of girls jumping in mud puddles out in the field and they were 6th graders. :?

Why the hypocrisy or the contradiction?

But it was easier having friends my own age when I was little until I reached a certain age and then it all started to get hard and I got left behind socially. But I have always felt younger than my peers as long as I can remember. When I was really little, I didn't know any difference.

But when I am around teens, I feel I am at their level.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2012, 11:55 pm

I'm 15 and I mostly prefer adults to kids. When it comes to peers I either feel less than them or higher up or better, for lack of a better word.

Richardf269
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2012, 12:24 am

I would prefer to hang out with older people. I somehow get along with them a lot better than I would with younger people. Though I do like to have friends who are in their teens (because I still honestly feel like one a lot of the time, minus the "I think I know everything" in the teen stage). I have 3 close friends who are in their 40's, and I get along with them fairly well. I just feel calmer around them because I feel as if they've gone through the s**t I honestly would rather not go through.