Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can make me some book recommendations? While I'm interested in reading them myself too, I'm looking for a book or two I could give as a resource to my mother about understanding autism/asperger's. I am an adult in the process of diagnosis, and most autism books only seem to talk about children, which is little use in helping her understand the challenges I experience or how she can better relate to and communicate with me as an adult with autism.

I have Tony Attwood's book, which is very good and more neutral about age than others I have seen so I will probably give that to her. However, it's quite "textbook-ish" and I was hoping I could also find something a bit friendlier and lighter in tone.

Has anyone come across anything that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2013, 8:47 am

Hope no one minds me bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas.

Does such a book exist? :)

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2013, 9:05 am

You're getting nothing because there is nothing. I have collected probably 100+ PDFs on AS and Autism in the past 5+ years, and almost none are specifically about adults that I can see just from looking at the titles.

The closest thing I see is "Autism and Asperger Syndrome - Preparing for adulthood" by Patricia Howlin.

"Asperger’s Syndrome and Adults...Is Anyone Listening?" is a collection of essays, not really useful.

"Employment for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or Non-Verbal Learning Disability" is probably the most interesting thing I see, with a lot of practical how-to advice. Again, though, there's a lot of personal experience essays.

Try looking for this paper on Google: "Asperger Syndrome Grows Up - Recognizing AS Adults in Today's Challenging World" by Roger N. Meyer with Aleta Root Linda Newland.

There are personal accounts by adults, and adults have written about their children having AS.

There are several self-help books. Whether these are helpful or not is a YMMV issue. "Asperger Syndrome: Natural Steps toward a Better Life" mentions adults. "A Self-Determined Future with Asperger Syndrome" seems to be aimed more at younger people.

An AS bibliography with annotations on usefulness of books would be something worthwhile, but I don't have time to compile one.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

There's always the movie Rain Man; a good fictional depiction of an adult with HFA/AS, and it's a good movie too.

He has the usual symptoms of need for routine, distress at change, meltdowns when forced to do things he doesn't want to, "stimming" and motor mannerisms, and problems with executive functioning. The usual social deficits are there also, though they're not as evident as these things prior due to the fact he doesn't really socialize with others.

Many of those on the milder end don't like it though, as they don't experience the same problems (I experience those things above and I have AS).

Aperture
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm

"Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome" might work. It's geared towards people who are diagnosed when they are adults. It's by Michael John Carley, who was diagnosed in adulthood himself. He is also the chairman or whatever of GRASP, which I believe is the only national organization for adults with AS. I thought the book was quite good (I've read several others as well, including Tony Attwood's book). The only thing about it is that Carley is a very high-functioning Aspie, so not everyone may completely relate to his story. I think it may fit the bill of what you're looking for, though.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

Living Well on the Spectrum. A lifesaver for me. Opened my eyes to my traits and is teaching me how to accept how those traits are affecting me in a positive way, and how I can overcome or cope with the negative issues. It's a wonderful book.

StitchehVee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

Aspergirls is a good one for females with AS

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm

I second the Michael John Carley book and Asperger's.

If your mom is into cats, then you may wish to look at a book titled something like "All Cats have Asperger's".

You may also wish to look into Jerry Newport's books too.

Attwood is a bit heavy, so you may wish to take it in stages with him, like point out a couple things in whatever area you are discussing that day, like sensory issues.

One thing I recommend not doing is pointing out the genetic links right away. That did not go over very well as you might imagine.

You might look for videos on Youtube too and stream them with her, if you find ones that you enjoy/are interesting.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 12:34 am

Dillogic wrote:
There's always the movie Rain Man; a good fictional depiction of an adult with HFA/AS, and it's a good movie too.

He has the usual symptoms of need for routine, distress at change, meltdowns when forced to do things he doesn't want to, "stimming" and motor mannerisms, and problems with executive functioning. The usual social deficits are there also, though they're not as evident as these things prior due to the fact he doesn't really socialize with others.

Many of those on the milder end don't like it though, as they don't experience the same problems (I experience those things above and I have AS).

I watched it just recently; I'm on the mild end and I was able to identify with a few aspects of Raymond's behavior.

I haven't watched it, but one movie that might be worth checking out as well is If You Could Say It In Words:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_You_Cou ... t_in_Words

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 1:58 am

Dillogic wrote:

"Rain Man" is definitely not about a high functioning/AS individual, Raymond ("Rain Man") is a very low functioning mentally ret*d autistic savant, and a rather stareotypical portrayal of one at best, this is most probably not what you're looking for. If however you want a reasonably decent portrayal of higher functioning Asperger's to use as a template for discussion, the movie "Adam" was rather good and fits the criteria much better.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 2:06 am

StarTrekker wrote:
"Rain Man" is definitely not about a high functioning/AS individual, Raymond ("Rain Man") is a very low functioning mentally ret*d autistic savant, and a rather stareotypical portrayal of one at best, this is most probably not what you're looking for. If however you want a reasonably decent portrayal of higher functioning Asperger's to use as a template for discussion, the movie "Adam" was rather good and fits the criteria much better.

Right, so I behave like him and face similar challenges and I was diagnosed with Asperger's at Attwood's, which means....

Lorna Wing puts him as the aloof variant of an individual with HFA/AS (the book, "high-functioning individuals with autism"), and she's the one who defined AS as it is today (yep, she named it Asperger's).

So, there's two accurate sources.

Hence, some people who're on the mild end of AS don't agree with it; which is wrong.

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2013, 2:24 am

Rain Man probably made me very ignorant to the fact that I may have an ASD. I am going to a clinic near where I live very soon to get a diagnosis.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

From what I remember, Adam gave a pretty good definition of Asperger's.

Adam himself is a character who is quite identifiable.

Not to mention good looking.

It is a coincidence maybe that Hugh dancy, who played Adam, is or was married to Claire Danes, who portrayed Temple Grandin. Interesting, hey?

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2013, 6:39 pm

Webalina wrote:
Living Well on the Spectrum. A lifesaver for me. Opened my eyes to my traits and is teaching me how to accept how those traits are affecting me in a positive way, and how I can overcome or cope with the negative issues. It's a wonderful book.

Yes, my psychiatrist recommended this one to me as well. It is excellent. The full title is Living Well On The Spectrum: How To Use Your Strengths To Meet The Challenges of Asperger's Syndrome/High-Functioning Autism by Valerie L. Gaus, Phd

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 5:17 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

Getting off-topic here but since the OP has not posted since May 2013 I guess it's ok. A while back I looked at the media portrayal of Rain Man back in 1988. It received near universal praise back then for portraying an Autistic as a human and showing a high functioning Autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 6:05 am

Even though the original post is from last year, it might help to mention that there are several very good books about and aimed at adults on the spectrum these days.

I found useful:

Aspergirls -- Rudy Simone
Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety -- Nick Dubin
Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome (ASD) -- Philip Wylie

There is also a book called Pretending to Be Normal, though I haven't read that one yet.

I also like "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast Too Tight" by Sharon Heller, which doesn't mention being specifically about autism but it does address sensory issues that will be things that many on the spectrum experience, and how to cope.