Any Greeks/Fluent Greek Speaking Aspies on here?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 7:32 am

In an attempt to get my husband to understand what Asperger's is like for someone with it, I thought it might help him 'get it', if a Greek Aspie (preferably, because they will understand the cultural concept of being Greek) or a fluent Greek speaker/writer Aspie who understands "Greekness", would mind PM'ing me an overview in Greek, of what it is like to have Asperger's that I could show him. (He does speak English well but there seems to be a mismatch in understanding some things [don't know how much of that is my Aspieness or his 'foreign-ness'] and there are still some words or ways of phrasing things he doesn't understand).

I could get him to read it and maybe he will be more understanding of it. Especially in view of the fact that both our children are undergoing assessment for ASDs and he is in utter denial (Greek ego!).

You might talk about the sensory side, the executive function side, the social side, basically all the key areas which affect day-to-day tasks and living. It can be in the 'Roman' alphabet (i.e. English spelled phonetically) rather than the Greek Alphabet if that's easier/you don't have the correct font.

Thanks in advance.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2013, 7:49 am

Sorry I can't help: my Greek is 2000 year old Greek learned 30 years ago! No help from the Greek version of Wikipedia I suppose?

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 7:54 am

I thought of that, but when I've tried online translations before they sometimes can't translate some words and leave them as they are, and they can struggle with the order of the words. For instance, some things are backwards to how we would say them in English, and if the words are just literally translated as they are (hey! an Aspie-like computer system!) they won't make proper sense in Greek. Thanks for the suggestion.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2013, 7:55 am

(adds) there is an article on Aspergers Syndrome (Σύνδρομο Άσπεργκερ) on the Greek Wikipedia site, but my Greek isn't good enough to check the soundness of the content. Sorry!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 8:10 am

I will do a Google translate into English to check how well that explains it, thanks for that. It would still be useful to get an overview from a 'real person' as well though, rather than just a dictionary description.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 8:13 am

...yeah, just translated it and this is what I got:

Quote:
Asperger syndrome (AS) is a disorder of autism spectrum characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction as well as restricted and repetitive behaviors and endiaferonta.Diaferei other disorders autism spectrum because of its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical (odd, odd) use of language often mentioned.

The syndrome is named after the Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger who, in 1944, studied and described children in his practice, which lacked verbal communication skills, demonstrated limited empathy with their peers, and were physically clumsy. The modern concept of the syndrome came into existence in 1981, and spent a period of popularization thereby becoming standardized as a diagnosis in early 1990. Many questions remain about aspects of the disorder. For example, there are doubts about whether it is distinct from high-functioning autism. Partly because of this the prevalence has not been established. It has been proposed to eliminate the diagnosis of the syndrome Asperger, be replaced by a diagnosis of the disorder th autism spectrum in severity scale.

The exact cause is not known. Although surveys show more genetic background, there is no known genetic etiology and brain imaging techniques have not identified a clear common pathology. There is no single treatment, and the effectiveness of particular interventions is supported by only limited data. The intervention aims at improving symptoms and function. The mainstay of management is behavioral therapy, focusing on specific deficits to address poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness. In most children's improvement as they mature to adulthood, but social and communication difficulties may persist.

Not really what I was looking for, as a third of it is dedicated to talking about Hans Asperger and the rest is just general, I'm looking for someone to talk about how it affects their daily life as a person, and perhaps how the world seems to them or something. Thanks anyway.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

Try National Autistic Society in London to see if they have any links/contacts? I see what you mean regarding the Wikipedia article!
Sorry, but good luck!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

Thanks, I'll see what they have. In the meantime, any Greek-speaking WP members please do PM me if you can help.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2013, 8:00 am

bump.

Nesf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2013, 5:21 am

Hi, I can definitely help you with this, I have AS Ι and my situation is VERY similar to yours, I've been experiencing the same problems and I know where you're coming from. I'm not Greek, I'm from the UK but lived in Greece for a number of years, and speak fluent Greek. It's especially hard when you're dealing with someone from another culture. Here are some Greek language sites I found useful:

http://www.autismhellas.gr/el/Asperger.aspx

http://www.kpechios.gr/el/activities/articles/194.html

http://www.aspergerhellas.org/info-SA-HFA.html

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 6:10 am

Hi Nesf. I have PMd you.

Thanks for those links. I doubt that my husband will even agree to sit and read them in reality though.

I'm from the UK too, so the Greek-British cultural differences are something that we will both identify with really well (as well as the AS/NT differences!)

AceX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

Here is me... scizoid not aspie... commericials are more easily digested that articles or research...

Here is a link to some of the most popular greek commercials that also happen to use autistic humour to make a point.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt206531.html

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:04 am

Thanks. I have also replied to your PM.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 2:21 pm

i have a freind who has aspergers and is greek i think she speaks some greek. i dont know if she has a wrongplanet account though but she does speak on the radio sometimes about autism.

i myself am half Greek-Romaniote but i know only a few greek words (and those are mainly food items :lol: )

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

Thanks for your reply. I think Nesf will be helping me out.