Social Skills Training for a particular Adult

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

robertyknwt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2016, 4:13 pm

Hi everyone. My 21-year-old daughter asked me to post here on her behalf. (She hasn't made an account here, and is shy about diving into a new forum and asking questions right away.) She's living at home with her mother and her youngest sister, and is halfway through a math degree at university. (Her mom and I aren't separated, just they're all still in Vancouver BC, but I just took a job in Los Angeles CA, so bit of an LDR thing happening.)

Anyhow, even though this is our daughter with the autism diagnosis, she has been mostly doing very well, and in fact, has in many ways been the most "high-functioning" and "low-maintenance" of our four daughters. (The others aren't on the spectrum, but they each have other issues that sometimes get in the way of their lives.)

But she sent me an email recently expressing some concern about loneliness, being socially awkward, and feeling like she doesn't have great social skills. She's made friends at university, both people she's taking classes with, and also others who share similar interests (e.g. anime, K-pop, and Korean BBQ). But as she says, "I like my friends but I don't feel that close to them."

She also feels "tired" of being awkward, and wants to improve her social skills. But she thinks she needs more specific directed help than just "Go out and talk more!"

So tl;dr What sort of therapists, programs, groups, books/workbooks, whatever might be out there to help my daughter with loneliness, social awkwardness, and social skills? Obviously, she'd prefer resources that are in the Vancouver BC area. But online contacts or groups might also be helpful.

And while I, her dad, don't have an official diagnosis, I'm pretty sure I'm close to where my daughter is on the spectrum, and I think what little assistance I've been able to provide her from my life experience is pretty much tapped out. (Heck, I still share many of those some concerns in my own life that she's feeling right now!)

Thank you for any and all assistance any of you can provide!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 5:33 pm

I'd suggest she seek some counseling with the university's counseling service where she goes. Although she might have to bring some written material to educate the counselor on autism (or might not), such a counselor will know a lot about social skills in a campus setting, opportunities, and loneliness issues. It's also likely to be cheap or free, though that's not the primary reason to start there.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 7:07 pm

She can look at videos and read blogs and books by Autistics to learn more about the condition and strenghts that come aloing with it.
The YouTube channels "Ask an Autistic" by Amythest Schaber and the AnMish are very good.

Tania Marshall has written several books including "I am Aspien Woman", John Elder Robinson's "Be Different: My Adventures with Asperger's and My Advice for Fellow Aspergians, Misfits, Families, and Teachers"

The founder of this website has made over 20 TV shows under the name Autism Talk TV
Autism Talk TV 23 – How To Join A Social Circle & Make Friends In A Group

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman