Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:10 am

I looked at that page and watched the video.

"At the mere suggestion that you are about to watch a mother being unresponsive to a child you feel revulsion even before you click “play.”"

I don't.

"Then as you watch it and delight in the wonderful interaction between mother and baby, neurons are firing in the same parts of your brain as in the mother’s (your mirror neurons at work), and oxytocin is coursing through your body. We are wired this way. Empathy, relationships, responsiveness, interaction…we call it love, and it is. Then, when the mother becomes still-faced, you immediately feel the pain of both the child and the mother."

I don't feel that either.

The way people act towards little babies makes me uncomfortable and the only thing I felt when the child was being ignored was annoyance at the child for being noisy and annoying.

If I had a baby it would definitely be neglected. I can't act that way.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 11:31 am

I cannot subscribe that. As i wrote most baby like me. So yes, they seem to get bored by my face after some minutes weird watching, but they do not feel unsafe or anything. Normally they just sit on my feet, start watching whats around them, start to interact with something around them or sleep and if somethings scares them they try to cuddle with me. So i really think, that they do not feel uncomforted or unsafe in my presence.

So i do agree, that there can be problems, because babies learn to use face expression from the people surrounding them by watching them. But there would be still an aunt, two grandmothers, two grandfathers, three grandgrandmothers and two grandgrandfathers and the halfbrother of my partner and so on... not to mention our extrovert neighbors and so on... so i am living in a small village on the border to the surrounding woods, but because of that there is more interaction between people as it seems to be in cities.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

hanyo wrote:

"At the mere suggestion that you are about to watch a mother being unresponsive to a child you feel revulsion even before you click “play.”"

I don't.

"Then as you watch it and delight in the wonderful interaction between mother and baby, neurons are firing in the same parts of your brain as in the mother’s (your mirror neurons at work), and oxytocin is coursing through your body. We are wired this way. Empathy, relationships, responsiveness, interaction…we call it love, and it is. Then, when the mother becomes still-faced, you immediately feel the pain of both the child and the mother."

The way people act towards little babies makes me uncomfortable and the only thing I felt when the child was being ignored was annoyance at the child for being noisy and annoying.

I felt nothing while watching the video, neither annoyance because the child was being noisy. I get annoyed when babies are noisy in real life, however.
The way other people act towards babies doesn't make me uncomfortable. I simply feel nothing at all, since I feel deteached from them, and nothing they do can interest me.
If I'll ever adopt a child (since I will never give birth to one myself), I'll adopt one who is 5, or older, because at that age children are not so noisy, and however I would never adopt a child when it's still a baby.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2013, 2:28 pm

This has changed a lot over time for me.

I think babies were one of my earliest special interests. They fascinated me from the time I was a toddler myself. I loved baby dolls and real babies, and I started babysitting as soon as I was old enough and my mom would let me. I spent as much time with my oldest nephews as I could when they were babies (when I was a teen). At one time I was all about babies, babies, babies! I wanted lots of my own.

But I never had any children, and now I'm glad I didn't. Also now that it's been years since I've had much to do with children, they just make me nervous. I don't have much need to be around babies or children. I'm quite happy not having grandchildren - now and then I get this little wistful what if feeling, but for the most part my feeling about not having any is relief!

In a way I feel that I fulfilled my baby urge really early in life and it was sated at some point. Had enough. :roll: But I still think babies and children need the best care their parents and society can provide them. I'm not anti-children or anything.

I stopped reading Madame Bovary because I couldn't stomach her resentment of and neglect of her child.

Last edited by BlueAbyss on 08 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

Well, I sure don't find babies cute. People seem to find that odd. Babies are just young humans. That's pretty much it.

hanyo wrote:

I don't.

Same with me. I did laugh a bit at the weird high sounds the baby made when the mother was not responding.
I do smile at babies usually if they look at me because they're kind of funny.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2013, 3:28 pm

hanyo wrote:

I don't.

If I had a baby it would definitely be neglected. I can't act that way.

I didn't feel a great deal either. I certainly didn't feel reviled or upset. It was quite interesting watching the baby's reactions. Like "WTF? This usually works! RAWR!". I imagine the mother didn't enjoy it very much, overall it was probably more upsetting for her than for the baby.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2013, 7:50 pm

Babies - no. Toddlers - no. Children in general - no. Not interested in any of them. I'm not going to deny that some kids are cute when they're well behaved, but their presence wears thin very quickly. It tires me out having to communicate at their level for too long.

I was in the supermarket the other day. On one side of me was a crying baby, on the other was a screaming toddler. I think I would have preferred drills.