Do you perceive yourself as more autistic than other WP-Mem.

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you perceive yourself as more autistic than the other WP-Members?
yes (considerably) 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
yes (somewhat) 22%  22%  [ 12 ]
never 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
I perceive myself as less autistic 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
I am not autistic 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 54

C0MPAQ
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2013, 6:13 pm

That is the question.

Only approximate to one answer.

All 'the other WP-Members' is meant in context of averages, not absolutes.

Autistic means your individual subjective all-inclusive comprehension of the state of mind of being autistic.

Judge by any form of information available, even if it is just loose impressions or emotions.

EDIT:
The reason I think this poll is important is to see, if you perceive yourself as more autistic only because you cannot overcome your subjective experience/viewpoint/difficulties or if it actually is because there is equally as much diversity on the spectrum as you might perceive. If there is a general gap between reality/perception, votes should go in one direction only.

I was banned 1 minute after creating a thread which criticized the moderation, by mentioning issues like political censorship, social problems and problems of autism unfriendliness, especially in the chat.

Please contact me on http://aspiefriends.net

Last edited by C0MPAQ on 06 Jan 2013, 6:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:14 pm

I would pick the option "Neither more, nor less". Is this what you mean by "Never"? If so I would vote that (I want to be sure before I do so though).

C0MPAQ
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

Yes, that's what I mean. In other words, that you don't have that perception in the first place.

I was banned 1 minute after creating a thread which criticized the moderation, by mentioning issues like political censorship, social problems and problems of autism unfriendliness, especially in the chat.

Please contact me on http://aspiefriends.net

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

I perceive myself as more autistic than some WP members and less autistic than other WP members. I only think this is relevant when someone starts saying "This is what it is like for me. Therefore, it must be like that for everyone." I admit I am guilty of such statements myself, but I try to modify my views when I realize it.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:19 pm

C0MPAQ wrote:
Yes, that's what I mean. In other words, that you don't have that perception in the first place.

Okay, then I think "never" fits the best. Voted. :)

Last edited by Sylvastor on 06 Jan 2013, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2013, 6:20 pm

I see myself being on the more autistic side, but certainly not on the very autistic side. If 100% = Most NT members. And 1% = the most autistic members, I'd see myself as a 40-30%.

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

I have no point of refference to base an opinion.

You are very likely an Aspie

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

I'd say I'm about average here.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:43 pm

I'm more XFilesGeek than other WP members.

In fact, I'm the most XFilesGeek-ish person on this site!!

As for "autistic," I dunno.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

As for "autistic," I dunno.

Heh heh.

I'm the most "emimeni" person I know. In fact, I don't fit entirely in any box!

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

I would say less autistic than a lot on here, or maybe more able to cope.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

06 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Do you have a citation for that? Any peer reviewed and validated studies? :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

I was diagnosed as Moderate Autism,
so I would say somewhere in the middle,
not more or less.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

I feel I am more autistic than some and less autistic than others.

I voted based off of numbers of people and where I fit into that - i.e. "average" would be "approximately 50% percentile". That's how my intuition works when it comes to this question. I can't actually get an intuition of what "average" would be, and where I'd compare to that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Jan 2013, 7:42 pm

I don't really pay attention to that kind of thing. The other WP members are hear for the same reason I am. (Well, most of them, anyway.)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

I guess it's possible to judge "how autistic" you are, if you consider the intensity of your autistic traits, but only if you filter out the benefits or drawbacks of your environment and the compensatory strategies you have learned. If you used simply the strength of autistic traits, I believe I am probably more autistic than the average WP member, since I have more traits and still struggle with some things that seem to be easier for most other autistics. But I also seem to experience less distress due to autism than many WP members do, and I have many advantages in my environment and my skill set which lets me compensate to the point that I may one day become independent (hopefully before I am old enough to retire!)

In the end I can't really say one way or the other. Depending on the criteria I used, I could say I was either more autistic, less, or just somewhat qualitatively different (i.e., having more uncommon traits and fewer common ones).

I don't think it matters all that much, though. I've learned a good deal from other autistics. Whether they have stronger traits, milder traits, more difficulty, or less, doesn't seem to matter when it comes to having things in common and being able to teach each other. Even people who aren't quite autistic--subclinical or having some related disorder--have a lot in common with autistic people. You can broaden it even further, and learn even more, by connecting with people who have disabilities, people who have unusual cognitive traits, and minorities in general.

Comparing ourselves to others tends to get pretty complicated, because there just isn't any sort of single axis along which everybody can be arranged. With that in mind, it seems like we're better off just creating a sort of database of all the different experiences we have--collect them, and not worry about putting them in any particular order.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com