Mom thinks I have a drug problem. Is this wrong?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,243

11 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm

I have just started taking 5-HTP to give me vivid dreams. I'm not sure if it works yet because I just got it yesterday but my mom found it in my purse that same day.

She doesn't even care to stop me from making bad decisions anymore because I have been doing self-destructive things unrelated to drugs and she's trying to trust me to do the right thing.

She thinks this is a bad idea but it doesn't seem like one to me. Yes it's a drug usually used as a sleep aid and I'm using it for something other than it's intended purpose but I'm not getting high off of it. It just affects my sleep and will hopefully give me very vivid dreams.

I realize with everything else I've done this just looks like another self-destructive act but is there a way I could be harmed by this?


It seems very gray to me. If I was taking stimulants like cocaine or unprescribed Adderall, hallucinogenic drugs, narcotics, or breaking the law in any way I would have no question about it.


I'm still using a medication for a purpose other than what it was intended for and I would consider that abuse but is it dangerous? Is there a problem here? I mean is there any more of a problem than the social issue resulting from how other people perceive it?


There's clearly a social problem with the way it looks and how that affects my relationship with my parents. I still don't see anything else wrong with it.


Most people would probably say this is a bad idea out of instinct but what do you think?



redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Apr 2012
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,009
Location: Seattle, WA

11 Jan 2013, 11:06 pm

I'd never heard of 5-HTP till now so I had to look it up. It seems it's used for three things: as a mood stabilizer/anti-depressant, appetite suppresser and sleep aid. They're actually thee problems I have. Boy, if they added 'lowers blood pressure' as an additional effect I'd buy some right away. Still, it's sold OTC so it's pretty harmless.



Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,725

11 Jan 2013, 11:25 pm

I've been taking it for a year for mood. I believe it helps, problem is I forget to take it. Don't expect any cures with this, the effect is pretty subtle.



cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,309
Location: northeast US

11 Jan 2013, 11:32 pm

according to the national library of medicine www.nlm.nih.gov 5-htp is associated with the development of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome, a painful illness. it has other side effects. check it out. click medline plus at the web address and search for 5-htp.



Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Oct 2010
Age: 177
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,851

11 Jan 2013, 11:40 pm

What it is supposed to do is boost serotonin production for people who have unhealthy low levels of serotonin. It will not get you high. You should not take it with certain medication, as it can be very dangerous. There were some contaminated shipments that skewed many people's view of 5-HTP because it made them ill, but from what I have read contamination no longer happens. There are some side effects though. I never experienced any negatives myself.

It has given me some life changing lucid and vivid dreams. I began using it for mood, and the effects were barely noticeable, but I found it helped me get to sleep similar to how melatonin does, and I also had some really nice dreams on occasion. I used it for those reasons afterwards. I've since stopped using it since I ran out, plus it is getting more expensive, and I have better supplements to spend my money on. I don't have as much lucid and vivid dreams anymore.


_________________
Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face


Last edited by Pondering on 11 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 864

11 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm

Your mom is smart. If you need drugs for entertainment you're doing something wrong.


_________________
Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.


Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

12 Jan 2013, 1:39 am

As long as titration is safe and use is not continuous, positive mood adjustment is likely.
Be wary with hormones.
I recently took a synthetic melatonin for sleep and found the side effects and toxicity not worth it



trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,919

12 Jan 2013, 7:12 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Your mom is smart. If you need drugs for entertainment you're doing something wrong.


Most people aren't teetotalers.



rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 864

12 Jan 2013, 12:15 pm

trollcatman wrote:
rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
Your mom is smart. If you need drugs for entertainment you're doing something wrong.


Most people aren't teetotalers.
Then most people are irresponsible. If you want to be successful, you can't be a slave to drugs. If you want entertainment, then do something constructive. Play an instrument, exercise, read, volunteer... My point is that if you have to depend on drugs for happiness then you have some serious issues to work out.


_________________
Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.


BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 414
Location: California, USA

12 Jan 2013, 1:04 pm

I had to look up what that is. I am interested in whether it could help with my fibromyalgia, though I'm leery of anything that plays with my serotonin levels. BUT I don't recommend taking any drug or even supplement that you don't see a clear health need for and have also weighed the possible negative side effects.

Still, I like a beer or wine now and then, so who am I to talk?

Has your mother researched it at all, and more importantly, have you? I would do as much reading as you can - pros and cons - and decide from there. An informed decision is always best.

ETA: Why is it so important to you to have more vivid dreams? I've tracked my dreams for years and am interested in Jungian dream analysis, and I go sometimes for days without dreaming. I see nothing wrong with that. If I were to do something that affected my dreams I would consider that an artificial enhancement of a natural psychic process. I would consider that, in a sense, interfering. Many of my dreams are plenty vivid enough, and complex enough that they can be difficult to understand. So why would you feel a need to make them more vivid?

ETAA: OTC does not necessarily mean safe. There are always precautions to consider. I don't take aspirin or Tylenol without a good reason, as both can be harmful. I do sometimes take regular tryptophan to help me sleep.


_________________
Female
INFP


Last edited by BlueAbyss on 12 Jan 2013, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

12 Jan 2013, 1:14 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Still, it's sold OTC so it's pretty harmless.


Same opinion and I've also experienced with OTC.
It actually helped me to understand very well were my probs are and what helps.


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Last edited by Raziel on 13 Jan 2013, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,725

12 Jan 2013, 2:26 pm

BlueAbyss wrote:
I had to look up what that is. I am interested in whether it could help with my fibromyalgia, though I'm leery of anything that plays with my serotonin levels. BUT I don't recommend taking any drug or even supplement that you don't see a clear health need for and have also weighed the possible negative side effects.

Still, I like a beer or wine now and then, so who am I to talk?

Has your mother researched it at all, and more importantly, have you? I would do as much reading as you can - pros and cons - and decide from there. An informed decision is always best.

ETA: Why is it so important to you to have more vivid dreams? I've tracked my dreams for years and am interested in Jungian dream analysis, and I go sometimes for days without dreaming. I see nothing wrong with that. If I were to do something that affected my dreams I would consider that an artificial enhancement of a natural psychic process. I would consider that, in a sense, interfering. Many of my dreams are plenty vivid enough, and complex enough that they can be difficult to understand. So why would you feel a need to make them more vivid?

ETAA: OTC does not necessarily mean safe. There are always precautions to consider. I don't take aspirin or Tylenol without a good reason, as both can be harmful.


If you have fibromyalgia I would highly recommend you at least try cannabis. Especially being that you are in CA you have access to high CBD cannabis which treats pain but has minimal psychoactive effect. You can also get extracts that are high in CBD and have ZERO psychoactive effect. Many people with fibromyalgia swear by CBD rich meds.



BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 414
Location: California, USA

12 Jan 2013, 2:36 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
BlueAbyss wrote:
I had to look up what that is. I am interested in whether it could help with my fibromyalgia, though I'm leery of anything that plays with my serotonin levels. BUT I don't recommend taking any drug or even supplement that you don't see a clear health need for and have also weighed the possible negative side effects.

Still, I like a beer or wine now and then, so who am I to talk?

Has your mother researched it at all, and more importantly, have you? I would do as much reading as you can - pros and cons - and decide from there. An informed decision is always best.

ETA: Why is it so important to you to have more vivid dreams? I've tracked my dreams for years and am interested in Jungian dream analysis, and I go sometimes for days without dreaming. I see nothing wrong with that. If I were to do something that affected my dreams I would consider that an artificial enhancement of a natural psychic process. I would consider that, in a sense, interfering. Many of my dreams are plenty vivid enough, and complex enough that they can be difficult to understand. So why would you feel a need to make them more vivid?

ETAA: OTC does not necessarily mean safe. There are always precautions to consider. I don't take aspirin or Tylenol without a good reason, as both can be harmful.


If you have fibromyalgia I would highly recommend you at least try cannabis. Especially being that you are in CA you have access to high CBD cannabis which treats pain but has minimal psychoactive effect. You can also get extracts that are high in CBD and have ZERO psychoactive effect. Many people with fibromyalgia swear by CBD rich meds.

You would think, living in CA where it's supposedly legal for medical use, that I would have easy access, wouldn't you? Unfortunately that's not the case, at least in my county, which is conservative and has cracked down so hard that it's nearly impossible for a dispensary to stay open, and the doctors who will provide the recommendation have sort of disappeared. Apparently what the voters want doesn't matter. So, even though it's a misdemeanor here for recreational use, it's still against the law. But thanks for the tip. :)

I am in favor of herbal and natural remedies,which is why I take ground celery seed for my blood pressure.


_________________
Female
INFP


Last edited by BlueAbyss on 12 Jan 2013, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 5 Dec 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 299
Location: Eugene, OR

12 Jan 2013, 2:37 pm

Why do you feel the need to have vivid dreams? I'm only asking out of curiousity and I'm not trying to be judgemental.

I got put on an SSRI for anxiety issues and it's the only thing that's keeping me from having major panic attacks.



Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2010
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,938
Location: Homeward bound

12 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

its not the only thing at all
just the one quacks will prescribe
nowadays

yesteryear was different
with much less anxiety too



BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 414
Location: California, USA

12 Jan 2013, 3:51 pm

Surfman wrote:
As long as titration is safe and use is not continuous, positive mood adjustment is likely.
Be wary with hormones.
I recently took a synthetic melatonin for sleep and found the side effects and toxicity not worth it
I had a problem with melatonin - it gave me the worst headaches of my entire life the two times I tried it. It just doesn't work for me!


_________________
Female
INFP