Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

i too have sensory issues,
the smallest thing like an cricket chirping can set me off.
i am also known to jump like someone is scared when someone touches me when i am not expecting it

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

Sound- This is my biggest problem - small sounds like people chewing and swallowing or cracking their knuckles or the creak when people sit down on certain types of chairs disturb/distract me, I hate the screechy sound the buses and subway trains make when they come to a stop or any kind of screechy or squeaky sound, like a non-electric tea kettle whistling, and also any kind of loud sudden noise.

Touch- not much-certain textures I don't like, like wet clay, when I had to do pottery one day in day camp as a kid and certain textures I really like and I'll stim by feeling them constantly - I get itchy easily and can't wear nylons (stockings) or wool or anything ichifying :lol:

smell- can't stand the smell of canned tuna and salmon and lunch meats (cold cuts), certain cleansers and perfumes, combinations of smells that don't work well -like lunch meat and a perfume, and artificial coconut

taste- can;t stand the taste/texture of canned tuna and salmon or lunch meats, dried fruits (like raisins) or peanut butter, or shredded (artificial) coconut.

sight-not much-just flickering lights make me nauseous.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:59 pm

seaweasel wrote:
i too have sensory issues,
the smallest thing like an cricket chirping can set me off.
i am also known to jump like someone is scared when someone touches me when i am not expecting it

oh yeah, that too I jump away from unexpected touch and get startled easily.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 10:59 am

+ Visual: Light. My eyes are quite flat, which causes light to be scattered over the surface of my eyes, causing an uncomfortable whiteout.
+ Proprioceptive: If I sit in stadium seating, I feel as if I am falling forward. I also tend to run into walls on a daily basis.
+ Vestibular: When my car is at a red light, the surrounding environment still appears to be moving. It slightly nauseates me.
+ A combination of the aforementioned: When walking through a building, if it has exposed levels, I feel like I'm falling through the levels if I look while walking up stairs or anywhere where I can see the levels. I cannot explain this phenomenon too well.
Places like this: [img][800:533]http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/09/06/02_mall_of_america-1-_wide-01e34c3930b2ab81b6aae3e3ed875a9c91de04a9-s6-c10.jpg[/img] make me nauseous.
+ Gustatory: Mushrooms, olives, Maraschino cherries, blueberries and anything else with a horrifically mushy texture makes me gag.
+ Tactile: surfaces with adhesive properties (tape, lint rollers, microfiber, Velcro), wet paper, wet wood, unvarnished wood (it catches on the skin), mesh netting on clothing (think of swimming trunks), other people's skin touching mine/being touched by people and slimy textures freak me out.
+ Auditory: I cannot tolerate the sound of noodles squishing (I have to listen to music to drown it out), flatware scraping against dishes (or each other), lip smacking noises, that tongue click noise people make prior to sighing, dogs barking, loud chewing, yelling, high-pitched voices, and too many others to list.
+ Olfactory: fishy smells (halibut is utterly atrocious), puffballs, that "new car" smell, chocolate (I'm allergic to chocolate, and the smell is equally offensive), people's body odor, sulfur, propane, burning plastic, gasoline and car exhaust among others.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

taste,, under developed, want spicey and strong flavors

Pain, under developed,, pain tolerent, rarely use more then a couple of advil even after dental work

Touch/tactile.. sensitive to textures on skin,, prefer soft cotten, rough or cloths that dont breathe such as nylon drives me craxy, heat such as tight fitting clothes.. or aperson or being out in the sun,

Hearing,, sensitive but processing messed up. dont process auditory voices well but music i am very sensitive to but shrill ptiches give me headaches

vision/ sensitive to bright lights, sun,, bright computer moniters, certain types of lighting will make me dizzy

Vestibular/ cant ride rides. watch movies like imax of rides or plane rides, very sensitive to motion sickness,, crappy balance,,

Minty33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

I can't even be bothered to begin listing mine..

I will put this one out there though. Soap shops. Like the ones you walk past and it absolutely pollutes the whole area. I have nearly been brought to my knees when they are around. It's just so over-powering, like it goes straight to my head. Anyone else get that?

I'm tempted to carry on..but I'll resist..for now.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

My sensitivities in order

Sounds
Low frequencies and bassy music. I can feel my eardrums move when some idiot in a parked car is playing his music and it doesn't have to be that loud either. I also feel the music so it doesn't do any good to wear earplugs. Even certain frequencies on my TV bothers me at times. I've had these issues almost all my life and is rare that I listen to my own music. And when I do it is as treble as I can get it and very low. I did have a 3 CD changer and it didn't take me very long to sell the thing because it was so bassy that I only needed it barely audible to upset my system.

Smell
I hate the smell of filthy cigarette smoke and when someone smells like a filthy stale ashtray. I also hate the smell of perfumes

Touch
I hate others to touch or hug me. I do hate certain fabrics, especially the synthetic cold and clamy stuff. I hate regular bedsheets and that is why it is flannel winter and summer. I hate to touch anything that someone else has touched such as door knobs and grocery basket handles.

Sight
Mostly flourescent lights, especailly the cool white ones.

Taste
I hate margerine because it is so greasy and isn't good since it is one molecule short of plastic (hydrogenated oil), Corn and vegetable oil, Cilantro, Asparagus, goats milk and Greek Yogurt (Yuck!)

Konstans
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2013, 4:00 pm

Here is mine;
Sounds: Any sudden noice, if someone drops cutleries to a hardwood floor. Doors that slams shut. Loud machines makes me afraid, even though I have worked with such for many years. I get angry when these things happens, because I get so freaking scared. Also bacground noices and babies/children screaming and naging is deeply frustrating.
I started to sleep with earplugs in my ears a couple of years ago and have never looked back since.

Smell; Not very affected. After I got addicted to nose spray acouple of years ago, my nose is always "ineffective". Before, I was reacting to plastic smell, especially new plastic smell. And that car smell from the cars in the 70's and 80's. I also react very much to the smell of vomit, much more than others. I run away when my kids starts to get sick.

Touch: I hate it when people touch me, unless it is a pretty girl or my wife (who is a pretty girl) (At least I am prepared to be touched) I can't bear to go to the beach. The sun hurt and the water feels like thousand explosions on my skin. I am no sissy, and easily do work that rips up my skin or tear off big parts of my nails. (Built a 100 sqm terrace last summer)

Sight: Very sensitive to light, wear sunglasses even on rainy days. I also dim down the computer screen so dark that my wife can't read anything when she uses it. It is sometimes hurtful to watch tv and have normal light on in my living room.

Taste: Before I was in the airforce, I ate only certain food in a certain way. During my time as a recruit, I often became so hungry, I ate everyting in any way possible. When I was finished in the airforce, I ate almost everything a normal person would do, with one exeption: I always eat bread with nutella. Nothing else. Another thing: I eat at a terrific speed. I am finished way before the others. I have tried to eat slower, but I can't. So I am no restaurant guy. A three course dinner will take 15 minutes maximum with most of those minutes being wasted on the waiter, bill and food.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2013, 4:18 pm

I doubt anyone will read this because I couldn't even get through reading everyone else but here goes:

Sound: Anything loud or high-pitched - I can't be in the same room as someone doing dishes, I'm a musician but hate playing loud and while I was briefly in a music band that enjoyed rehearsing excessively loudly, the volume of the music was such that I actually couldn't function properly, like, once it hit a certain level, I could no longer remember anything about my guitar part nor could I perform it properly. Coughing and babies crying (o' course :D) drives me insane and so much more.

Smell: I feel like I have an exceptionally sensitive nose and smell-related memory. If I smell something that I've smelled in the past, it's like everything I'm looking at in reality disappears and is replaced by exactly what I saw and experienced the last time I smelled it, even if it's something I hadn't made any effort to remember in the first place. It's kind of like a visual camcorder that I can access. Sometimes I'll smell a certain perfume in passing at the mall and remember, immediately, the last time I smelled that was in my Kindergarten class, on my teacher and I'll see the classroom even as I hadn't known I could remember it. I also tend to smell things that aren't there after I've been subjected to a strong smell...once we made very spicy tacos and for about a week after that, despite clean clothes, Febreze in the house and many showers, I still smelled it everywhere. No one else smelled it after the first night.

Touch: Same as everyone. I hate surprise touches and cringe when even a close family members hand brushes mine. Like Konstans said, I refuse to go to pools or the beach because I can't stand the sun shining on me and the temperature changes involved in swimming and then freezing until you warm up after you've gotten out, are too much to bear. I absolutely abhor soft materials. I can't stand touching stuffed animals, soft sheets, soft clothes, paper, glass, or anything at all if my hands are dry. I use the roughest sheets available on my bed and prefer rough-textured clothes. I'd rather wear a burlap shirt than a cotton one, if it were reasonable :). For example, touching toilet paper with dry hands makes me want to smash my head through a wall.

Taste: I've been a picky eater since day one. I hate the texture of unprocessed meat (I.E. not ground or sliced), many vegetables, cream of corn, mashed potatoes and everything else like that. When I was growing up, my family jokingly referred to me as breadboy because that was often all I'd eat. Now that I'm into bodybuilding, I've worked tremendously to overcome this but I still have a very limited appetite and this is the primary factor holding my progress back :/. I bet you've all heard this but as a kid, my family and relatives always told me I'd grow out of my picky eating habits but here I am, 25 and nearly as picky as ever.

Sight: I keep blinds closed and lights off in most situations. I went several weeks in college without turning my apartment light on once and I kept my blinds closed almost the entire year. I can't stand highly bright rooms or the way things become washed out in direct sunlight. I've been told I tend to squint in sunlight that doesn't seem excessive to anyone else but I've managed to avoid donning sunglasses or a hat because both of those feel irritating when I wear them.

Great to read some of your guys' posts. Very insightful.

CocoNuts
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
Sound- This is my biggest problem - small sounds like people chewing and swallowing or cracking their knuckles

This is my biggest problem too. It causes me to bite and punch myself (misophonia).
Other than loud noises and "complicated" noises like crouds make me dizzy and stressed, high pitched noises hurt.
I don't like bright lights especially when direct or reflected. I don't mind fluorescent lights unless they're somehow directly into my field of view. I have visual snow and that's also why I don't like looking at bright lights (they make it worse). I also get headaches from sunlight and other kinds of light, like looking at car lights at night.
I don't like to be touched unexpectedly, and I don't like to be touched by strangers. This is worse when I'm tired, emotionally upset or in pain.
I can't stand the smell of some deodorants and perfumes: after P.E. I have to run away because of all the deodorant in the locker room.
The worst is sound though, especially because of misophonia.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
... And when I do it is as treble as I can get it...

I tend to do this when listening to industrial, so as to not lose some of the intricate sounds the bass likes to obscure. It drives others nuts. :lol:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 9:04 pm

CyborgUprising wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
... And when I do it is as treble as I can get it...

I tend to do this when listening to industrial, so as to not lose some of the intricate sounds the bass likes to obscure. It drives others nuts. :lol:

huh.......my mom and I also don't like too much bass......we call it "bangy music" and I turn the bass down almost completely on the comp when listening to certain kinds of music.

Murderface
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2013, 11:44 pm

Pip wrote:
I experience an increased sensitivity to touch, sound, and light.

Touch - I am particularly sensitive to light contact and I can't wear certain fabrics or items of clothing. (when I was young I couldn't wear sneakers) I am extremely ticklish, and hate experiencing physical contact with other people unless I invite it (even grazing shoulders with someone in the hallway can set me off).
Sound - I can hear very well, even at pitches that others can't seem to, yet I become overwhelmed by loud sounds and can't filter out background noise.
Light - I have to wear sunglasses constantly, even on overcast days or sometimes indoors.

What sensory problems do you deal with?

Physical contact I can't stand. Can deal with loud sounds.I can make my way through the forest by the glow of the Milkyway. At night planes flying overhead make the entire landscape strobe. Light overcast days make my eyes feel like they are going to explode.

You are very likely an Aspie

Sean_91
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2013, 1:05 am

Visual - I am sensitive to certain shades of blue. I used to be sensitive to camera flashes as a kid to the point that I hid and/or covered my eyes whenever somebody would take a picture of me.
Auditory - I am sensitive to babies crying, fire alarms, sirens, certain motorcycle engines, whistles, scoreboard buzzers, and loud air horns (such as those found on fire engines, semi-trucks and trains).
Tactile - I jump whenever someone touches me unexpectedly, even if the touch is from a girlfriend. In my junior year of high school, a girl I liked tried to rub the underside of my arm, but I jumped and withdrew my arm. If she gave me some warning, I probably would have never withdrew my arm. :D My fingertips are highly sensitive, which when combined with poor fine motor skills, makes it difficult to do things like lighting matches and opening bus windows without pain. I can still do the latter if I am at eye-level with the window latch, but the former is way too risky. It would be plain stupid to light a candle and all of a sudden, the house burns to the ground lol.
Olfactory - This sense is hyposensitive. Even strong smells like diesel fumes and skunks I have trouble smelling. I can smell alcohol when it is directly under my nose, not a pleasant smell at all. Most perfumes and flowers I can't smell at all.
Taste - I have a quick gag reflex when foreign objects are placed in my mouth, such as an unfamiliar toothbrush or a thermometer. I have to distract myself in order to use a mouth thermometer without triggering my gag reflex.