Do you think I could be a potential psychopath or...

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 238

13 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

Is this my autism?

I am not fazed by death, I'm not afraid of it. When my mother died, I did not cry. At sad movies, I do not cry. I don't really sympathise with people either, I either tell them to grow up or it's their fault. I like taking pictures of dead cats, I think they look cool. I once watched videos of people committing suicide and I wasn't horrified by it at all. My Auntie told me she nearly died and it didn't affect me, same with my granddad dying.

I remember once when I was young my sister left me to play on my own to visit my stepmother at the hospital. I got angry, so I got some scissors and slit her cuddly toys throat? I sometimes have thoughts of blood and gore, which is really weird.

I'm not sure if I'm manipulative.

Yeah.



Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,897
Location: Lancashire, UK

13 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

NateRiver wrote:
Is this my autism?

I am not fazed by death, I'm not afraid of it. When my mother died, I did not cry. At sad movies, I do not cry. I don't really sympathise with people either, I either tell them to grow up or it's their fault. I like taking pictures of dead cats, I think they look cool. I once watched videos of people committing suicide and I wasn't horrified by it at all. My Auntie told me she nearly died and it didn't affect me, same with my granddad dying.

I remember once when I was young my sister left me to play on my own to visit my stepmother at the hospital. I got angry, so I got some scissors and slit her cuddly toys throat? I sometimes have thoughts of blood and gore, which is really weird.

I'm not sure if I'm manipulative.

Yeah.


I understand the idea behind not being fazed by or afraid of death, but the comments you make about telling people to grow up or that it's their fault betray a lack of sympathy on empathy on your part.

You're not alone in being interested in blood and gore - I was the same when I was a teenager, and I especially loved watching very gory horror films. I've sort of grown out of that though.

That comment about you liking to take photos of dead cats does peturb and worry me a bit though.



Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2012
Age: 90
Gender: Male
Posts: 762

13 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

Your bias on death means that those comments should pretty much be disgarded.

You need to look at other signs, like when do you feel guilty, for the little things to, like when take someone seat on the bus etc etc.



aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,181
Location: Canada

13 Jan 2013, 3:20 pm

Taking pictures of dead animals... well as long as you don't kill them yourself. The thought of taking such pictures makes me feel disturbed.



Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

13 Jan 2013, 3:24 pm

It's possible that you have some callous unemational traits and thinking patterns.
I wouldn't go that far and call them "psychopathic" as long as you don't hurt, manipulate etc. anybody.


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Aug 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 887
Location: Canada

13 Jan 2013, 3:59 pm

Now, I am no expert, and you will need to look it up, this is just an idea - but a fascination with gore apparently also can travel with bipolar - mood disorder can travel with AS ... . Or, it could just be the way your emotions "come out." You might not recognize that they are emotions. I'm like that - I need "something" in their stead. My doctor points them out to me. I have had people tell me to calm down and act like I am wound up, and yet I think I feel fine. I don't know.

I grew up in the bush and was raised on wild meat. My curiousity took me into some play that many would find disturbing (not so much in a country setting where most lived in this manner) - but, I was just looking and exploring. I like to know how everything works.

Do you know Stephen Wright's "Here Kitty" song?


_________________
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds - Albert Einstein.


Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,725

13 Jan 2013, 4:03 pm

You are definitely not a psychopath.



Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 710

13 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

You probably have Narcissistic Personality Disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder



SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,396
Location: UK

13 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

I don't think psychopaths ever ask 'Am I a psychopath?'. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I doubt very much that you are a psychopath.



Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,592
Location: Europe

13 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

SilkySifaka wrote:
I don't think psychopaths ever ask 'Am I a psychopath?'. I'm not a psychiatrist, but I doubt very much that you are a psychopath.


I read the same a lot of times about autistics and still many autistics do ask.

I believe that's just clichée.
But anyway, I would refer to such traits as callous unemotional traits. Psychopathy is much more severe.


_________________
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown." - Woody Allen


Last edited by Raziel on 14 Jan 2013, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 525
Location: Newcastle, UK

13 Jan 2013, 5:33 pm

I am not qualified to give you an answer but I can give you my opinion. If you want this answered you should speak to a pro I think.

That said, I have been in a similar boat in that a few years ago (long before understanding AS) I was trying to make sense of a few things like how I didn't feel like I really connected with other people, how my emotions seem detached and different to most people and also the way I felt I had to constantly put on an act of being 'normal' when interacting instead of it just coming naturally. I logically narrowed the cause down to being either a sociopath, phycopath or possibly schizophrenic. I was convinced as it seemed to make sense but also shocked and afraid.

If you are indeed going through something similar then I know how that feels. I have also heard that in general, actually psychopaths would likely have no fear of the label and might even be proud of the condition since they would look down on everyone else. I don't really get affected so much by things like death and you might want to read up on alexithymia as it can maybe explain some of that. Also, killing animals is an indicator but it does not sound like that interests you.

End of the day, we don't know you enough to answer so seek a pro's advice and I expect they will be able to reassure you.


_________________
AQ46, EQ9, FQ20, SQ50
RAADS-R: 181 (Language: 9, Social: 97, Sensory/Motor: 37, Interests: 36)
Aspie Quiz: AS129, NT80
Alexithymia: 137


Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Mar 2009
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 845

14 Jan 2013, 7:49 am

NateRiver wrote:
Is this my autism?

I am not fazed by death, I'm not afraid of it. When my mother died, I did not cry. At sad movies, I do not cry. I don't really sympathise with people either, I either tell them to grow up or it's their fault. I like taking pictures of dead cats, I think they look cool. I once watched videos of people committing suicide and I wasn't horrified by it at all. My Auntie told me she nearly died and it didn't affect me, same with my granddad dying.

I remember once when I was young my sister left me to play on my own to visit my stepmother at the hospital. I got angry, so I got some scissors and slit her cuddly toys throat? I sometimes have thoughts of blood and gore, which is really weird.

I'm not sure if I'm manipulative.

Yeah.


You kill those cats yourself? Your sure sound like a sociopath, however possibly thats how you want to appear and sound.
Do you want others to think your a sociopath for shock value or something?

Do you have a shrink or go to a local out patient/therapy now? If not, you should. Or you'll turn out a serial killer likely. Especially if you hurt and kill animals.

You come off like a child seeking attention. Go get PSYCHIATRIC help ASP before you kill someone.
This is the type of attention you seek? If you just wanted regular you'd do some drama crap.

What do you love so much about death? I'm sure you scored off the charts on the Hare checklist.

You don't necessarily need to be manipulative and when you mention these traits of yours, you certainly don't sound like your on any Autism Spectrum.



Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Mar 2009
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 845

14 Jan 2013, 7:53 am

Mike1 wrote:
You probably have Narcissistic Personality Disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder



ooh, this is an accurate possibility



NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 238

14 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
NateRiver wrote:
Is this my autism?

I am not fazed by death, I'm not afraid of it. When my mother died, I did not cry. At sad movies, I do not cry. I don't really sympathise with people either, I either tell them to grow up or it's their fault. I like taking pictures of dead cats, I think they look cool. I once watched videos of people committing suicide and I wasn't horrified by it at all. My Auntie told me she nearly died and it didn't affect me, same with my granddad dying.

I remember once when I was young my sister left me to play on my own to visit my stepmother at the hospital. I got angry, so I got some scissors and slit her cuddly toys throat? I sometimes have thoughts of blood and gore, which is really weird.

I'm not sure if I'm manipulative.

Yeah.


You kill those cats yourself? Your sure sound like a sociopath, however possibly thats how you want to appear and sound.
Do you want others to think your a sociopath for shock value or something?

Do you have a shrink or go to a local out patient/therapy now? If not, you should. Or you'll turn out a serial killer likely. Especially if you hurt and kill animals.

You come off like a child seeking attention. Go get PSYCHIATRIC help ASP before you kill someone.
This is the type of attention you seek? If you just wanted regular you'd do some drama crap.

What do you love so much about death? I'm sure you scored off the charts on the Hare checklist.

You don't necessarily need to be manipulative and when you mention these traits of yours, you certainly don't sound like your on any Autism Spectrum.



Firstly, I am on the autistic spectrum because a DOCTOR diagnosed me in 2004. Your comments are rude and ignorant. I do not care for them, but simply ask to keep your manners in check.



NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 8 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 238

14 Jan 2013, 4:36 pm

Si_82 wrote:
I am not qualified to give you an answer but I can give you my opinion. If you want this answered you should speak to a pro I think.

That said, I have been in a similar boat in that a few years ago (long before understanding AS) I was trying to make sense of a few things like how I didn't feel like I really connected with other people, how my emotions seem detached and different to most people and also the way I felt I had to constantly put on an act of being 'normal' when interacting instead of it just coming naturally. I logically narrowed the cause down to being either a sociopath, phycopath or possibly schizophrenic. I was convinced as it seemed to make sense but also shocked and afraid.

If you are indeed going through something similar then I know how that feels. I have also heard that in general, actually psychopaths would likely have no fear of the label and might even be proud of the condition since they would look down on everyone else. I don't really get affected so much by things like death and you might want to read up on alexithymia as it can maybe explain some of that. Also, killing animals is an indicator but it does not sound like that interests you.

End of the day, we don't know you enough to answer so seek a pro's advice and I expect they will be able to reassure you.


I see. I just thought this gore liking of mine was a bit weird.



compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 224

14 Jan 2013, 5:51 pm

Have you.....

1). Consistently wet the bed after the age of 5?
2). After the age of 7 consistently set fires, destroyed property?
3). After the age of 7 been cruel to animals, harming, or killing them in the process?
4). Are you extremely egotistical and/or Socially dependent?
5). Do you like or enjoy the control and manipulation of others?
6). Have you experienced a Psychotic break or a break from reality as the result of Trauma or some other experience?
7). Do you consider yourself Chaotic Neutral in Alignment?
8). Do you exhibit a chaotic stance regarding life? You are out for yourself, and no one else. You shed no tears for those you harm or malign, whether for sport or your own obvious gain. You have no love for structure, nor to obey laws, traditions, or codes would make you seem normal from a societal standard.


_________________
An Old NetSec Engineer. Diag 11/29.
A1: AS 299.80 A2: SPD features 301.20
GAF: 50 - 60 range.
PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.