Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:49 am

I realise that butter is part of diary obviously. Still for consistency it is bit annoying that every place I look for GF/CF diet mentions milk and cheese but not butter for some reason. Butter and yogurt are the only things diary that I consume in significant quantities. I'm not a fan of milk and I've never really like the taste of margarine (plus it is not good to cook from it as it is already pre-saturated oil).

I doe a little investigation, which is still ongoing. I think 'ghee' or well clarified butter should be GF/CF. In fact some ghee products even carry the label of casein and lactose free it seems. Apparently studies have showed the ghee is around 98% saturated fat than the rest is water. I wonder if the smallish likelihood of trace amounts of casein may make a difference. I mean there would likely be more from cross contamination of oats surely?

Anyone tried ghee while on the gf/cf diet? What was you experience?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Feb 2008, 10:17 am

i used to eat gluten free bread and i can remember it was really crumbly. it also had no taste, my mouth was not happy with that one and now i eat regular bread :(

i look at it as gluten and almost all this unhealthy stuff is in almost everything you eat and your body is so used to eating it that it would be next to impossible to quit or change to something else. i hardly eat butter so my body thanks me, :)

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2015, 2:36 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Anyone tried ghee while on the gf/cf diet? What was you experience?

Very old thread, but just to answer this question in case others are wondering:

I react badly to casein. I tried one spoonful of ghee that claimed to be "casein-free" and got sick. I emailed the company and did not hear back, then looked at their FAQ. They did not test their product for casein and apparently...did some sort of incantation in the moonlight to make sure it was pure. I wish I was kidding.

So if anyone has a problem with trace amounts of casein, please be careful with ghee.