Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Daniel_8964
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

I think I have depression, by the fact I feel bored, unmotivated and like I'm half asleep to move. I never really think I'm a depressed person as I'm generally cheerful and fun at my best.

I think the core of my depression is mostly a lack of proper sleep and some social anxiety (fear of judgement) I try my best, but I'm a worrisome person at times and I just care too much sometimes and get lost in thought.

As a diagnosed aspie, I think being a easy target, being misunderstood and being naive and struggling to understand the societal norms on a daily basis are the possible reasons that could build up my depression.

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2013, 4:19 pm

Daniel_8964 wrote:
I think I have depression, by the fact I feel bored, unmotivated and like I'm half asleep to move. I never really think I'm a depressed person as I'm generally cheerful and fun at my best.

I think the core of my depression is mostly a lack of proper sleep and some social anxiety (fear of judgement) I try my best, but I'm a worrisome person at times and I just care too much sometimes and get lost in thought.

Yep that sounds like depression. If you want, check out the book Feeling Good. It's the best cognitive behavioral therapy book out there. I only had to read the first half when I noticed it was already helping me so I stopped reading it. :) Anyway, it gives ways to stop worrying about things you can't control.

Daniel_8964
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2013, 4:22 pm

jamgrrl wrote:
Daniel_8964 wrote:

Yep that sounds like depression. If you want, check out the book Feeling Good. It's the best cognitive behavioral therapy book out there. I only had to read the first half when I noticed it was already helping me so I stopped reading it. :) Anyway, it gives ways to stop worrying about things you can't control.

Thanks for the tip, I shall give it a try and by reading what you said, does sound like a plan to me. :)

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2013, 4:38 pm

sam-hinch wrote:
Do many people with Aspergers suffer from depression too?

Hyup...
*Waves hand in air*
+1 here.

jamgrrl wrote:
I never got medicated, and managed to beat back most of the depression and some of the anxiety using cognitive behavioral therapy methods (CBT) that I got from the book "Feeling Good", and from therapy. The idea is you identify negative thoughts (like "No one likes me" or "I'm a failure"), and replace them with more truthful and positive thoughts, ("Some people like me", and "I can be successful").

Now that there is just silly... or at least the latter. Just replacing one problem with another. Positivity is generally LESS realistic than negativity, which leads to serious reality-relation problems.

Positivity and negativity are both unrealistic biases. I find it more productive to replace both negative and positive thoughts with rational deductions and action plans.... or if that doesn't work, I just remember what extreme physical pain feels like until those insubordinate little parts of my brain can't focus on anything else any more.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 4:44 pm

Daniel_8964 wrote:

This might interest you:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9r0MxNpoCc[/youtube]

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

Magnanimous wrote:
Positivity and negativity are both unrealistic biases. I find it more productive to replace both negative and positive thoughts with rational deductions and action plans.... or if that doesn't work, I just remember what extreme physical pain feels like until those insubordinate little parts of my brain can't focus on anything else any more.

Coming up with a plan and acting on it is my steps two and three. :) And yes, it absolutely works in most situations.

I don't relate at all to the physical pain thing. I think that's a superpower the rest of us don't have. :) I just tend to beat myself to death with anxiety, which motivates me until it crushes me.

Magnanimous
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

jamgrrl wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

Coming up with a plan and acting on it is my steps two and three. :) And yes, it absolutely works in most situations.

I don't relate at all to the physical pain thing. I think that's a superpower the rest of us don't have. :) I just tend to beat myself to death with anxiety, which motivates me until it crushes me.

I just remember that I... the Ego... am the master of this body.
Not the ID, not the Superego.
I am not what nature intended, and I am not what my mother nor human society intended either.
This is my chassis... my shell.... to do with as I please... and any aspect of it I CAN control... I WILL control... or die trying.

O'course, efforts to stop my heart just my willing it so are... thus far less than successful. I'll keep trying though.

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

Great video Raziel! Thanks for sharing that. :)

Daniel_8964
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2013, 5:40 pm

Raziel wrote:
Daniel_8964 wrote:

This might interest you:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9r0MxNpoCc[/youtube]

Thanks for your help, Raziel. :)

Daniel_8964
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2013, 5:47 pm

Magnanimous wrote:
jamgrrl wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

I just remember that I... the Ego... am the master of this body.
Not the ID, not the Superego.
I am not what nature intended, and I am not what my mother nor human society intended either.
This is my chassis... my shell.... to do with as I please... and any aspect of it I CAN control... I WILL control... or die trying.

O'course, efforts to stop my heart just my willing it so are... thus far less than successful. I'll keep trying though.

Agreed, Manganimous. I want to control my body over my own tamed thoughts, choices, my freedom and what I decide what is suitable for me. Everyone isn't born to be chosen what others choose them to be. It is all up to them to decide to live their life. However mastering things takes a darned long time than overnight and I will die trying by my own will.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2013, 2:39 am

Yeah I've gone through a lot of depression because of my difficulty in relating to other people, being taken advantage of and being bullied at school. I also try to be nice to everyone around me, and that adds extra load cause inevitably some people will piss over you, no matter how nice you are to them.

I think the thing is to try and give yourself more positive reinforcement and time to yourself (like spending an hour playing video games each day). For me, I usually like to watch a good movie every Friday night, talk to my girlfriend or go out and have dinner with friends as often as I can as a way to build my self esteem.