Is it possible to have ASD with just sensory issues?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

16 Mar 2013, 12:38 am

I wonder if this is me. It seems like a lot of things about ASD don't really fit. But I've definitely got some sensory issues that interfere with multiple areas of my life, including socially, but this is by no means even the worst area. It's basically something where loud noise, chaos, and movement are difficult to process and make me anxious. I also have problems orienting myself in space, so when people are moving past me, or worse, trying to get past me and wanting me to move, I get f*****g irritated and sometimes go off.

I wonder if it's possible to have ASD that is exclusively related to sensory processing and really not the other aspects of ASD. If you look at my Aspie Quiz score, I think this would be borne out. I score low/average the "special talents" area (basically NT), somewhat high in the social understanding areas (just an alienated NT), and quite high in the aspie-style sensory areas (so I have sensory issues like people with ASD).

I also meet the criteria for AVPD and possibly BPD as well. But I think it's very reasonable that sensory issues could cause these almost directly, especially AVPD. A separate personality disorder, or two, would explain some of my social difficulties alone without any reference to ASD.

If the DSM had something just called "Sensory Processing Disorder," I would likely have gotten that diagnosis and not ASD at all. So why isn't this in the DSM?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Mar 2013, 1:00 am

I think they call that sensory processing disorder.

Or maybe the intense world theory of autism.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:00 am

The SPD Foundation just heard that one DSM-5 committee voted “No,” meaning that SPD should not be included in the DSM-5 as a “Novel Diagnosis in need of further research.”

Before the age of 6, Adam Lanza had been diagnosed with a controversial condition, "sensory integration disorder" -- now known as sensory processing disorder, according to the report.
Those with sensory processing disorder or SPD may over-respond to stimuli and find clothing, physical contact, light, sound or food unbearable. They may also under-respond and feel little or no reaction to pain or extreme hot and cold. A third form involves sensory motor problems that can cause weakness and clumsiness or delay in developing motor skills.

Is SPD a REAL diagnosis? In a word... YES!
One of the most frustrating things about Sensory Processing Disorders (Sensory Integration Dysfunction) is that there has not YET been enough significant, massive, SPD research through controlled studies to quantify, prove, or predict the symptoms and life course of this disorder (in the eyes of the medical community).

Education Consultant Kathryn Lundy revealed that Dallas child Walker likely suffered from Sensory Integration Disorder (also known as Sensory Integration Dysfunction or SID and Sensory Processing Disorder or SPD). Additional testing at the Integrated Pediatric Therapy clinic in Dallas confirmed his condition.

One would think that, with irrefutable evidence like this, DSM would've included it in their list of personality disorders.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Mar 2013, 1:03 am

Sensory processing disorder is a personality disorder? Huh?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:05 am

It isn't? My mistake. I'll just refer to it as a hypothesized neurological disorder as Wikipedia calls it.

Last edited by redrobin62 on 16 Mar 2013, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:10 am

Verdandi wrote:
I think they call that sensory processing disorder.
Agreed. Sensory-only would not be autism, though I'd say it is a related condition.

It is possible to have autism with sensory issues being primary, with other traits present but not as intense.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:10 am

redrobin62 wrote:
It isn't? My mistake.

Personality disorders are about personality traits taken to pathological extremes. Sensory sensitivities aren't a personality trait.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:13 am

Thank you. I corrected my faux pas.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:20 am

Far from a faux pas. :)

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2013, 6:51 am

Is it possible that you are referring to Dyspraxia?
Dyspraxia is the cause of many sensory issues in Autistics, and is viewed as part of the Autism, but it can be experienced as a condition on it's own.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:10 am

Tyri0n wrote:
I wonder if this is me. It seems like a lot of things about ASD don't really fit. But I've definitely got some sensory issues that interfere with multiple areas of my life, including socially, but this is by no means even the worst area. It's basically something where loud noise, chaos, and movement are difficult to process and make me anxious. I also have problems orienting myself in space, so when people are moving past me, or worse, trying to get past me and wanting me to move, I get f***ing irritated and sometimes go off.

I wonder if it's possible to have ASD that is exclusively related to sensory processing and really not the other aspects of ASD. If you look at my Aspie Quiz score, I think this would be borne out. I score low/average the "special talents" area (basically NT), somewhat high in the social understanding areas (just an alienated NT), and quite high in the aspie-style sensory areas (so I have sensory issues like people with ASD).

I also meet the criteria for AVPD and possibly BPD as well. But I think it's very reasonable that sensory issues could cause these almost directly, especially AVPD. A separate personality disorder, or two, would explain some of my social difficulties alone without any reference to ASD.

If the DSM had something just called "Sensory Processing Disorder," I would likely have gotten that diagnosis and not ASD at all. So why isn't this in the DSM?

It sounds as if you have proprioception problems as well though, which I don't know would be part of SPD but are part of ASC.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

16 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

crookedfingers wrote:
Is it possible that you are referring to Dyspraxia?
Dyspraxia is the cause of many sensory issues in Autistics, and is viewed as part of the Autism, but it can be experienced as a condition on it's own.

Yes, a little bit, but dyspraxia is not primary.

Quote:
whirlingmind wrote:

It sounds as if you have proprioception problems as well though, which I don't know would be part of SPD but are part of ASC.

Maybe. Though some would disagree: http://www.spdlife.org/aboutspd/senses/ ... tion.shtml

I have little doubt that, given my NVLD and other issues, that if SPD WERE in the DSM, this would be a more fitting diagnosis than ASD. As it is, it seems like severe cases of SPD are rolled up into the autism spectrum -- even though I think it's a distinct disorder.

My SPD is such that, over the phone and even sitting down in an interview setting, you would have no idea there is much "off" about me--i'd essentially be NT in just about every way-- but if I have to move around and walk with friends, or enter a crowded room, etc, or experience loud noises like in a club, etc., you'd just think I looked highly uncomfortable--maybe have a dorky look on my face-- and don't say much and that my brain and emotional expression just shut down, so even when I do say something, it sounds forced and stilted.

Ok, here's my question: Is there a proven, effective treatment to cure or reduce SPD even if there is no such thing for autism? Someone suggested that Occupational Therapy could work.

In some other support for a misdiagnosis, it's fascinating that racetam cognitive enhancers have helped me with some of my issues while oxytocin -- which supposedly helps autistic people with social skills -- has virtually no effect. Oxytocin deals with the social / emotional part of the brain often impaired in autistic people while it simply makes sense that cognitive enhancers would help with SPD. It's helped in the sense that I can now move my arms naturally when I walk, and I make more natural facial expressions, in a wider range, rather than the painful (literally) twisted dorky smile I used to have when I was in a crowded place. I think this is because noopept increases cognitive resources, so there is less overload. I'd be interested to find a clinically prescribed drug and treatment combo that could do this more scientifically and effectively.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 12:11 am

Quote:

Actually, proprioception issues are sometimes considered more classic for SPD than things light light and sound sensitivity.

Some of the early descriptions of SPD focused primarily on proprioception and tactile responses, and then further study showed other senses being affected as well. There is currently debate about whether proprioceptive and/or tactile issues need to be present in SPD, or if people with, say, hearing and sound sensitivity only would count as SPD.

So, yes, proprioception is part of SPD. :)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:32 am

Tyri0n wrote:
Ok, here's my question: Is there a proven, effective treatment to cure or reduce SPD even if there is no such thing for autism? Someone suggested that Occupational Therapy could work.

Occupational Therapy is the treatment you use for SPD. What senses do you have issues with? What types of issues do you have?

There's a wide variety of things that are done at OT, but it includes both life style changes, coping skills, and things that actually change how your body processes things. I'm currently doing Therapeutic Listening. I did the Wilbarger Brushing Protocol earlier this year. Work on swings has been done for my vestibular sense. Yoga has been done for my propioception (as well as the therapeutic listening doing more than everything else I've tried in my life for my propioception).

So yes, its worth looking into OT if you're thinking you have SPD. And yes, its possible to have just SPD and not an ASD. It's just not in a diagnostics manual yet.