When not showing enough symptoms during childhood.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vortex
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 3:52 pm

I have a question (sorry if it's a stupid one). Let's say someone's got all the "classic traits" of Asperger's Syndrome except there aren't enough symptoms (or whatever you want to call it) of the syndrome in that persons' childhood. What then could cause all the traits that person is now experiencing? Symptoms/traits such as:

- Social issues
- Repetitive behaviour
- Obsessions
- Sensitivity to noise
- Difficulties doing/experiencing several things at once
- Adherence to routines
- Anxiety
- Low mood
- Introversion
- Withdrawal from other people
- Difficulties focusing
- Difficulties getting started
- Resistance to change
- Poor communication (bad at showing appreciation, not talking about things and so on)
- Poor eye contact
- Compulsions/fixed ideas about how things should be (wanting things done in a certain order, certain angle etc)
- Ok with some social interaction but socially incompetent in other situations

Etc.

Not saying all people with AS experience these things and some people with AS probably experience other things as well. Anyway, what do you think?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 4:05 pm

vortex wrote:
I have a question (sorry if it's a stupid one). Let's say someone's got all the "classic traits" of Asperger's Syndrome except there aren't enough symptoms (or whatever you want to call it) of the syndrome in that persons' childhood.

PDD-NOS or BAP (broad autism phenotype)

vortex
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

Raziel wrote:
PDD-NOS or BAP (broad autism phenotype)

PDD-NOS is a form of Autism, right? But BAP isn't? So let's say the person would be "diagnosed with" (not sure you can get diagnosed with it) BAP, then there's pretty much no help to get? Even if that person experiences a lot of problems which causes chaos in his or her life?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 4:16 pm

Check out this thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt221201.html

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vortex
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 4:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Thanks! :) However, that thread only covers social issues. I'm interested in the combination of the symptoms I've listed. Any ideas?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 4:32 pm

vortex wrote:
PDD-NOS is a form of Autism, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDD-NOS :wink:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jan 2013, 4:37 pm

It only takes three symptoms to show all the symptoms necessary for diagnosis. Did you really only have 1 or 2 as a child?

vortex
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 4:51 pm

Verdandi wrote:
It only takes three symptoms to show all the symptoms necessary for diagnosis. Did you really only have 1 or 2 as a child?

I'm not sure. Things I know/remember (I hope my memories are correct) about my childhood are:

- I could read when I was 3,5 years old
- I didn't like to play outdoors and not with kids I didn't know
- I was very "old for my age"
- I was observant
- I followed rules
- I liked sorting things
- I liked building with Lego, read and draw but I played with other kids as well
- Others said I was "scared of people"
- I was very quiet in school

That and a few other things. I've read about children with AS having a lot of tantrums, not wanting to be hugged, lacking eye contact (I think I "developed" that when I was around 12), failing to use gestures and point to things etc. I don't think I had any of those things until later in life.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jan 2013, 4:54 pm

I meant from the DSM-IV criteria, which is much more specific than the list you posted.

vortex
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 5:04 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I meant from the DSM-IV criteria, which is much more specific than the list you posted.

Oh. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how to interpret the criteria either. Does for example "failure to develop peer relationships" mean complete failure to do so?

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:05 pm

vortex wrote:
I could read when I was 3,5 years old

Hyperlexia

You could also take the AQ:
http://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

vortex
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2013, 5:08 pm

Raziel wrote:
vortex wrote:
I could read when I was 3,5 years old

Hyperlexia

You could also take the AQ:
http://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/

I've taken both that one and the rdos one. Took the AQ test online once and at the psychologist once (I'm referred to get assessed for AS by the way). Online (long time ago) I got 38 and at the psychologist I got 42.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

vortex wrote:
(I'm referred to get assessed for AS by the way). Online (long time ago) I got 38 and at the psychologist I got 42.

Just wait what the psychologist will say. :)
But there is a very high chance that you are on the autism spectrum, but in how far or if you have comorbidities or not and so on, the psychologist will tell you after some testings.

About the AQ, if you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_Spectrum_Quotient

Last edited by Raziel on 17 Jan 2013, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 12:30 am

vortex wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Oh. I'm not sure. I'm not sure how to interpret the criteria either. Does for example "failure to develop peer relationships" mean complete failure to do so?

It means that your ability to do so is impaired compared to others your age.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 12:41 am

Verdandi wrote:

Oh lol. When you said three symptoms, I thought you meant three symptoms, not three things from the criteria. I was told you needed seven but I see what you mean. Two from A and one from B when my mother meant two from A and one from B and then C D E and F. Seven total.

I have seen people say they have all the symptoms, now I know they probably mean the criteria.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:19 am

I remember I showed more symptoms during childhood, and they were even worst ones, because my traits were more close to schizofrenia that to AS.