A sincere yet admittedly wierd question

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JAC92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 8:39 pm

I was raised in an environment where Aspergers was considered a social stigma. The biggest contradiction is that it was supposedly in a school specializing in dealing with Autustic Behavioral deficits but it was combined with kids who werent on the spectrum and came to this school because of deliquency issues. Those kids who were juvenile deliquents always seemed favored and it was at many Aspergers kids expense. I guess their was bias for deliquents because they were better at conforming to what the school expected, but they were very antagonistic, malevolent, and tended to exhibit prejudice to Autistic behavior. If a school like that that identifies itself as helping Aspies, but can't comprehend the wonders of Aspergers than I cant fathom most of society opening up to it. My biggest gripe of all and my main point in this thread is that with the majority of the creative and scenitific community, not the minority but the majority are supposed or even admitted Aspies than why is the disability frowned upon and why was I the class clown and parriah. Additonally because of this vast potential why are we subjected to being treated in the most visceral and discriminatory way possible. Especially considering that the people frowning and condescending to us could never equal or even dream of achieving the success of some of these Aspies did. This gets me livid because I've been in a school environment where people have anticipated and projected the worst things to happen to me, even though contrary to their projections I have a 3.4 GPA in my college and have an established social network. My teacher at the time could've never fathomed that I'd do this and this teacher at this said school, even lied on my reports that I masterbated in hopes to sabotage my reputation and prevent me from getting into a better school. I found myself in more compromising situations because of his lies. It haunted me for the rest of my school career because I couldnt get back into Public Ed. It haunted the rest of my school a career and future schools used the documents as a way to judge me instead of knowing me on my own merits. This teacher who wrote the masturbation allegation had no justification for doing this, he willingly allowed the students to write comic strips and short stories lampooning me, but also happened to allow one of the teachers aids to attempt to assault me while this aid was controlled and didn't wind up laying a hand he wasnt fired and was given the next day off to let of some steam. I'm incredulous that this class I was in would do this considering that Aspies have proven to be a valuable asset to the Academic community, and its a testament to these teacher's asinine way of thinking because Aspies are more likely to impact the world more than most of the populace. It was evident that I was among the people who could make such an impact but they overlooked my merits and I was subject to discrimination. It just gets me jealous and envious and for all those successful Aspies in the world I pop the question Would these Famous affluent Aspies be in the privileged position their in today if their Academic upbringing was as nasty as mine . I pictured myself being like them if not for such circumstances

I've just wondered that because our community has so much vast and unparalled potential why are their some teacher's that are determined to hinder our chances of succeeding like that. Though I'm also upset because I feel really abused and that if I was somehow not neglected so much I could've achieved the success many of those famous Aspies did. Like I have this mindset that if it wasnt for that prick I would be excelling to the degree of some of these prestigious names, and I'm kind off jealous of them because as I said I don't think some of those Aspie celebrities would be excelling if they were where I was. I get livid about how they had many of the same social deficits and quirks but were able to get as far as they did, I always have this mindset "Oh if they were in the same position they would be unemployed, depressed, and vengeful and not making their mark on the world because of those traumas". So a lot of this purpose of this thread is to say I kind of wish that so many celebrities weren't supposed Aspies, it seems that not just some but most Creative and Scientific types are apart of the community and it would just relieve me to know that some of them dont have Aspies, because if they are Aspies it gives a glimpse of what my life could've potentially been had it not gone awry.

So the main point is right here so please read whats above but this is equally important

I hope I hope I hope that most celebrities in the creative and scientific world aren't Aspies, because theres this stereotype going around that most of them are as Hollywood and Science attracts people with notable quirks. The reason for hoping for this is becuase seeing them makes me envious of what my life could've been if not for certain people. Though it also gets me livid to know that if they were in a less privileged Academic situation they'd be in as much pain as me. I seriously think that the difference between me floundering and their success is largely determined by our environmental upbringing which they had the advantage with.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:22 pm

Only got as far your first couple paragraphs. But it was enough to get me outraged at your county's school system for setting up a school that way.

Your school system should be sued for crimnal negligence and nonfeasence if they had a school that combined autistic children with juvinile deliquents. Deliquents would just be even more abusive toward the autistics than even run of the mill NT kids would.

Imagine Bill Gates being forced to join the Hells Angels.
He wouldve been beaten to a pulp in the first five minutes. Microsoft would never have been born. And even the Hells Angels would not gotten the benifit of Gates'ss talents.

JAC92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2013, 9:39 pm

Problem is I left in 2006. Though seriously thanks for reinforcing my point, I cant imagine Akroyd, Gates, or Burton being the multi-million dollar brand names that they were if they were put under my circumstances it makes me envious but wonder if they actually have gratitude for how lucky they are. People with the sense of privielge that they have lose sight of how many support systems and luck their personal upbringing had.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 9:54 pm

JAC92 wrote:
Problem is I left in 2006. Though seriously thanks for reinforcing my point, I cant imagine Akroyd, Gates, or Burton being the multi-million dollar brand names that they were if they were put under my circumstances it makes me envious but wonder if they actually have gratitude for how lucky they are. People with the sense of privielge that they have lose sight of how many support systems and luck their personal upbringing had.

Gates has given $28 billion to charity.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 10:44 pm

Anyone can be a bad person, even people running a Sp. needs school. Funny they would throw the deliquents in the autism school, those were the people I was always trying to avoid and were hurting my education, but the system won't see that. I've had teachers and principals that fit the bill you wrote, bad people will be bad people no matter what sign is hung on the door.

I think/know meny people view autism is simply bad beheaver that can be snaped out of those affected, a false idea meny in the professional school/corrections industry tend to subscribe to in ignorance or false hope?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 11:37 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
JAC92 wrote:

Gates has given $28 billion to charity.

his WIFE persuaded him.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 10:34 am

JAC92 wrote:
Would these Famous affluent Aspies be in the privileged position their in today if their Academic upbringing was as nasty as mine . I pictured myself being like them if not for such circumstances

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174745 wrote:
Trippers and askers surround me,
People I meet, the effect upon me of my early life or the ward and city I live in, or the nation,
The latest dates, discoveries, inventions, societies, authors old and new,
My dinner, dress, associates, looks, compliments, dues,
The real or fancied indifference of some man or woman I love,
The sickness of one of my folks or of myself, or ill-doing or loss or lack of money, or depressions or exaltations,
Battles, the horrors of fratricidal war, the fever of doubtful news, the fitful events;
These come to me days and nights and go from me again,
But they are not the Me myself.

Apart from the pulling and hauling stands what I am,
Stands amused, complacent, compassionating, idle, unitary,
Looks down, is erect, or bends an arm on an impalpable certain rest,
Looking with side-curved head curious what will come next,
Both in and out of the game and watching and wondering at it.

Backward I see in my own days where I sweated through fog with linguists and contenders,
I have no mockings or arguments, I witness and wait.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 10:59 am

Such behavior from an education system appears to be quite common from the stories on WP. The OP's case is unusual even by those standards, in that a school that puported to teach Aspies instead was chasing students who had been forced out of "mainstream" classes due to legal issues.

Without knowing more details, I don't think anyone can explain why an institution would do that, through money is usually a reason.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:08 am

rapidroy wrote:
Anyone can be a bad person, even people running a Sp. needs school. Funny they would throw the deliquents in the autism school, those were the people I was always trying to avoid and were hurting my education, but the system won't see that. I've had teachers and principals that fit the bill you wrote, bad people will be bad people no matter what sign is hung on the door.

I think/know meny people view autism is simply bad beheaver that can be snaped out of those affected, a false idea meny in the professional school/corrections industry tend to subscribe to in ignorance or false hope?

Its more common than we think (or at least used to be) the last time they still did this to my knowledge was a few years back. Up north they had a school called Birchwood and it was for Deliquents and also kids with mental disorders and Autism. I knew a few folks who went there.
One of my exes had mental issues and went there and she was made fun of my deliquents.
So it still happens. This school was for HS age students.

Now they are making specialized schools for Autism i believe or have some already.

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:09 am

I think there are a lot of wild claims going around these days regarding which famous figures. both living or dead, might be Aspies. Occasionally rocking when giving your answer or being more interested in software engineering than fashion does not classify you as an aspie. Being obsessive does not classify you as an aspie. being introverted and often perceived as rude does not make you an aspie. These are all just traits and having one or two does not a diagnosis make. I seriously doubt that there are anywhere near as many famous/celebrity aspies as is often made out. I believe that, once you start looking for evidence of traits without the burden of having to perform an actual clinical diagnosis, finding potential candidates becomes a little too easy.

I should admit that I myself am still waiting to be diagnosed but, from my own understanding of the condition I strongly identify with, the biggest clues have been internal personal things that people looking from the outside never see. I could be wrong but I suspect that AS is a difficult thing to understand and write about from an NT perspective so being able to put an easy positive spin on things saves writers having to spend more time explaining a completely different mindset. Sure some well known figures are aspies but not even half of those who are claimed.

Alexithymia: 137

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

Si_82 wrote:
I think there are a lot of wild claims going around these days regarding which famous figures. both living or dead, might be Aspies. Occasionally rocking when giving your answer or being more interested in software engineering than fashion does not classify you as an aspie. Being obsessive does not classify you as an aspie. being introverted and often perceived as rude does not make you an aspie. These are all just traits and having one or two does not a diagnosis make. I seriously doubt that there are anywhere near as many famous/celebrity aspies as is often made out. I believe that, once you start looking for evidence of traits without the burden of having to perform an actual clinical diagnosis, finding potential candidates becomes a little too easy.

Yes, the number is nowhere near what people think it is, it's higher than people think it is.

Dead people can't be formally DXed, but there have been enough people in history who sound an awful lot like Aspies to me. In one well-educated English Speaking nation, was there not at least one major leader who had serious disipline issues at school, trouble interacting with his age peers, showed (early) rigid speech patterns, a pattern of hand movements, and special interests in history and/or writing? I think some might qualify under ICD-10 today just from historical reports, if not for the requirement for an interview (which is obviously not going to happen).

There's an even easier case for a major mathmatician in the mid-20th century, and a huge paper trail from his security checks. I'm not talking about Einstein.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:31 am

JAC92 wrote:
My teacher at the time could've never fathomed that I'd do this and this teacher at this said school, even lied on my reports that I masterbated in hopes to sabotage my reputation and prevent me from getting into a better school. I found myself in more compromising situations because of his lies. It haunted me for the rest of my school career because I couldnt get back into Public Ed. It haunted the rest of my school a career and future schools used the documents as a way to judge me instead of knowing me on my own merits. This teacher who wrote the masturbation allegation had no justification for doing this, he willingly allowed the students to write comic strips and short stories lampooning me, but also happened to allow one of the teachers aids to attempt to assault me while this aid was controlled and didn't wind up laying a hand he wasnt fired and was given the next day off to let of some steam.
[/b]

Whoa. If a teacher accused you of masterbating, why didn't your parents sue or take it to the school board? If it truly didn't happen, i would have went through all the courts for that. Being accused of something you didn't do. That's pretty serious. Did an event get misconstrued and someone think you were masterbating when you were just changing in gym or something?

I can't believe your parents not doing anything about those accusations and taking it to higher levels or courts in order to right that if its truly a wrong.

A teacher deliberately lying is practically a crime, i can't understand why that would just go to pass and nothing be done about it.
If it really does affect your future with jobs or colleges and they want to see that teachers recommendation and not just your diploma, then your family should have taken action.

Don't expect others to assume just since someone is Aspergers, they must be a genius. This is not always the case. There are people who have Aspergers who aren't a genius or some type of prodigy. It is so stereotypical to think that way and act that way unless thats your true self.

JAC92 wrote:
"Creative and Scientific types are apart of the community and it would just relieve me to know that some of them dont have Aspies, because if they are Aspies it gives a glimpse of what my life could've potentially been had it not gone awry. "[/b]

You are only 20 years old, you put too much blame on others as to how your life went awry. However at only 20 years, your life has barely begun. There is still so much to do. If you want to make something of yourself, you have to want to do it, love what you do, etc.
You seem to be narcissistic... and have a lot of anger directed at the school. The school is no longer part of your life.

They told Lucille Ball (famous actress) she wouldn't make it. Yet she did and she became very famous.

It just seems so stereotypical to assume that the majority of creative and scientific types are Aspies. Maybe some are, and some aren't. Many just have quirks. Einstein and the "mad scientist" image have instigated these stereotypes. Or maybe its just those who are creative or scientific types tend to be less judgemental than other types?

Not all Aspergers are geniuses. I know some who are far from it. This is a stereotypical perception that seems to be amplified by this forum in general where a lot of people seem to have high intelligence. However out there, there are folks with Aspergers who won't make it to Menza not even with lowering the requirements by 50.

You claim your envious of other people who have success, yet you blame the teacher for you own non-success.
You are still young. If it is your goal to succeed, then you are truly responsible for your own success. Don't expect someone to find or chose you since you have Aspergers. The science world can be competitive and extremely hard. I admire those who pursue their goals in it.

As for upbringings, even the poorest of folk have been known to overcome and still rise up to become doctors. It is amount of pure determination, will, and endurance to reach your goal.

My cousin grew up poor; father never paid a cent of child support, mother didn't have money. She went on to become a doctor and made it through med school and is now married with kids.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:38 am

Chloe33 wrote:
Whoa. If a teacher accused you of masterbating, why didn't your parents sue or take it to the school board? If it truly didn't happen, i would have went through all the courts for that. Being accused of something you didn't do. That's pretty serious. Did an event get misconstrued and someone think you were masterbating when you were just changing in gym or something?

I can't believe your parents not doing anything about those accusations and taking it to higher levels or courts in order to right that if its truly a wrong.

In defense of the OP, his family might not have been aware of such an entry in a file until later. If no formal disiplinary action or charges were brought, they might not have had a good case to go to trial. The courts are unlikely to award attorney fees to change a single entry in a student's record.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 12:13 pm

Hollywood and science? I can't believe those are together in the same sentence. One deserves way more recognition and mainstream appeal then the other but the superficial majority doesn't see it that way. Celebrities with Asperger's? uhg.

Anyways, I don't understand your...well I just don't understand

Quote:
I masturbated in hopes to sabotage my reputation

And how does one do that? what the? I don't even...

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 2:32 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Chloe33 wrote:

In defense of the OP, his family might not have been aware of such an entry in a file until later. If no formal disiplinary action or charges were brought, they might not have had a good case to go to trial. The courts are unlikely to award attorney fees to change a single entry in a student's record.

The way the OP made a fuss about it and not to mention the potential of it ruining his future records with college, i would think his parents would be well aware and would have pursued a lawsuit.
Unless of course it indeed did happen.

These schools cater to a variety of people, including those with mental, emotional and behavioral problems.

I could see no formal charges necessary if the event of masterbation actually did happen. So then he has no one to blame but himself, yet we see him pointing the fingers at others.

Take some responsibility. For the OP if you work that hard at school in college, your academics will pay off provided you don't masterbate in public again.

To compare yourself to famous Aspies is ridiculous IMO. They are just normal folks who either got a lucky break into show biz or were born in. Or scientists who actually made it through all the schooling and training and experiments, hard work is what made them where they are today. Never giving up in what they believe in. Constant persistence on many many experiments.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 5:51 pm

Chloe33 wrote:

The way the OP made a fuss about it and not to mention the potential of it ruining his future records with college, i would think his parents would be well aware and would have pursued a lawsuit.
Unless of course it indeed did happen.

I could see no formal charges necessary if the event of masterbation actually did happen. So then he has no one to blame but himself, yet we see him pointing the fingers at others.

Take some responsibility. For the OP if you work that hard at school in college, your academics will pay off provided you don't masterbate in public again.

To compare yourself to famous Aspies is ridiculous IMO. They are just normal folks who either got a lucky break into show biz or were born in. Or scientists who actually made it through all the schooling and training and experiments, hard work is what made them where they are today. Never giving up in what they believe in. Constant persistence on many many experiments.

THIS. People need to learn how to be responsible for their own behavior and take corrective action in the event that someone fabricated an account to portray someone in a negative light. If the act of "self-service" did not occur, there must have been reason enough for someone to assume it did. Somehow, I find that to be a difficult thing for a teacher to randomly make a false claim about.