Anyone who has asd and has had extreme stress ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

greentigress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2013, 6:30 am

Specifically a seriously mentally I'll spouse?

I have autism and schizophrenia
My husband is autistic and works full time

I have been about as seriously mentally I'll as you can get prior to meeting him but not since and we met 6 years ago

Not wanting to sound pessimistic but I'm overdue a stay in hospital

My question is how will he deal with stress of me having a relapse?
I have read that after extreme stress aspies can have a total breakdown
I don't know what to say to him to prepare him

Please tell me if you have any similar experience or advice?

MELODY-S
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2013, 10:11 am

I was a caregiver to my late husband through a 10 year illness until his death. as you can imagine it was an exceedingly stressful decade. I also worked and raised children during that time.

My lifeline was an organization called Well Spouse. They have an online forum where I could talk, receive and give support in a way that did not challenge my AS. It is easy to find the site on a search engine. The majority of people have a spouse with a physical illness, but there are some with mental illness as well.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or counselor?

I took my NT husband to my psychiatry appointments. The doctor was better able to speak to him than I could, but I was still there to add my two-cents.

MELODY-S
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2013, 11:22 am

Regarding coping advice for your husband. He should keep to his normal routine as much as possible. Since he works now, probably continue working through your hospitalization but take a couple hours of day of sick time for a visit. Spending time on self-care is important. Continue to indulge in hobbies, take long pleasant walks, exercise and eat healthy. Plan ahead for meals by getting friends or family to help bring over a meal or two and have easy to prepare food on hand.

I have no idea how another person would react. I do know that it is possible to manage.

The most important thing is for your husband to take good care of himself. Even if one spouse is ill, both are important, and both are worthy of care and attention. All too often, the well spouse's needs get overshadowed and forgotten in the face of the more obvious needs of the ill spouse.