Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 7:44 pm

So right now I'm sitting here knowing I'm hungry because I'm weak and trembly and I had my last food about eight hours ago, and it was only a bowl of corn. I should have eaten some time ago, because I've been hungry for a while, but I've also been preoccupied and not able to really figure out what steps are needed to get food from somewhere in my cupboard to my stomach.

I don't know why this happens. I can solve complex calculus problems. Why not the problem of how to get food?

Of course, sooner or later I'll get hungry enough that I'll be able to get up, find something edible, and eat it. Probably sooner rather than later.

I ignore hunger all the time. Only once I'm actually starting to get weak (low blood sugar, I guess) do I get enough impetus to transition from not-eating to eating. And then once I start eating, I often take a little while to stop, just long enough that I tend to get just a little more than I need. As a result, I weigh quite a bit more than I should.

This frustrates me. Why, if I can play around with astrophysics equations for fun, can't I solve the problem of eating just early enough, but not too early, and just enough, but not too much?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

For me, it is because eating is too boring.

My father and I both want food pills, so we can stop worrying about eating and what to eat and making of eatings.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:01 pm

I dream of a future where they can just grow / 3d print every food into cubes...apples, carrots, chicken, beef....all nicely cubed and then you can just eat them all in a bowl with flavourings and sauce as you wish...and the process would ensure that they are molecularly accurate and free of adulterants.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

Food cubes are a good idear. I have often asked my mother to make all my food into bite-size spheres, but she refuses to do so. I need a robot servant.

rixxar12
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

What did i just read?

Phenom
Raven
Raven

23 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

Your not alone, I'm the same way. I too am so preoccupied with what I'm doing usually I don't eat until the physical symptoms show up (besides the stomach rumbling). I think having to eat All the time is such a hassle. I feel like I'm in hell having to eat, and sleep, and use the restroom, and all that good stuff all the time. Such a waste of time, when I could be involved in what I love to do.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Jan 2013, 8:23 pm

I have had similar problems with eating and hunger, and the only way I've been able to resolve it was to simply make meals a strict part of my routine.

It helps that I have other people to prompt me at meal time, at least when other people are cooking.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm

I do not have this problem often, but I am a snacker, and thus I do not actually cook a full meal that often. It is not hard for me to choose what to eat, because my diet is not very varied. I eat about the same stuff, depending of where I am and what I got.

Today I actually made dinner (noodles with spagetti sauce, go figure) and made enough to eat today and tomorrow. That way I can just heat it up and eat it.

I have been going out all day every day to walk (excercise) and take care of some responsabilities. The first two days I took nothing more than a sandwhich with me and almost fainted repeatedly. I learned to pack a round of snacks like cheese sticks, chips and yogurt.

Not hard to select, because I do not vary my food very much.

Maybe you need to pre-prepare stuff, so you can just grab it and eat it later.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:53 pm

I have terrible food cravings

I envy people who don't see food as that important

It's the main thing I use to cheer myself up

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 9:34 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I have terrible food cravings

I envy people who don't see food as that important

It's the main thing I use to cheer myself up
Food can be a stim for me.... Sunflower seeds, for example. Jalapeno peppers. Coffee. Pickles. Unfortunately, eating for entertainment is not good for one's waistline.

I would LOVE food pills. But they'll never become a reality; the nutrients we need are just too bulky to put into pills. I'd give up the taste stims any day if I could just forget about food. And cutting things into cubes would be too time-intensive for anybody to do.

Still haven't eaten. There are apples in the fridge, though. They don't seem too complicated. *ponders apples*

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm

I used to be the same way, OP. Food was never important to me...I remember repeatedly going 36 hours in high school, without eating anything beyond a handful of skittles or a vending machine snack. I felt faint and weak, but eating was such a laborious chore that I often waited until I couldn't stand it before putting in the effort required. This makes most family gatherings, wherein everyone's excited to get together for 'good food' totally unappealing to me. I don't care for chocolate, most candy (the only motivation I felt during Halloween was purely statistical...how many pieces of candy could I net, haha), desserts or any other things people indulge in. For the past year, though, I've completely turned this mentality around as I've made my diet and nutrition an obsession to compliment my bodybuilding endeavors. Now, I eat specific amounts of specific food every three hours or so. I'm not going to lie, it's very difficult to keep on top of, even without the remotest temptation to eat something unhealthy...it's just the pre-planning that's required, every single day. I do feel healthier and happier on a more balanced diet, though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 2:49 am

I don't like stopping what I am doing just to eat and if I don't know what to eat, I go hungry. I prefer sweets and that is what I will eat if I am hungry or feel like eating. No sweets, I end up not eating. Today, if it weren't for my dad saying something about pasta in the fridge, I would have gone upstairs without dinner. I would have had juice only probably. I don't do anything about hunger until I am starving. I often go to work starving because I often forgot to eat. Plus I never eat much because I eat one thing for each meal and I don't cook except for pasta. I sometimes make eggs but I don't like to cook.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 3:01 am

Eating is one thing I generally don't put off, but I come close to fainting more than I'd like because sometimes that's the only signal I'll get that I need to eat something.

What causes me grief is when I don't have ready access to snacks or easily prepared food. I run into problems when we're out of sandwich-making material and/or breakfast cereal and I have to actually prepare something. I've thrown tantrums over it before, in fact.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 3:25 am

To me actually preparing food is often too complex and not worth the trouble. I prefer to just eat something that doesn't require cooking or other preparation. When I do cook it's something simple like heating up a can of soup or ramen noodles.

To make things even worse I now have a cat that bothers me constantly any time I cook or eat. If I shut him in a room or hide in my room to eat he yowls like he is getting murdered.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 5:38 am

i experience something simular, i dont know the difference between hunger, thirst, cravings or wanting to eat for a stim.
i have made it a routine to eat as soon as i get out of bed, and where i live, dinner is served at around 6, so i eat at that time too, in between however, i either eat too much, nothing at all, or snack attack...

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2013, 5:56 am

I also had prob with too low weight. Additionialy i did not eat health, because first i forgot to eat all day and when I checked that I am hungry, I had great appetite.

I added "eating" to my daily routines, so if I dont feel sick or anything, I usually eat around the same time and when I turn to preparing the meal normally I also can feel my hunger. I also dont get that hunger-flashs anymore because it does not happen to me anymore, that I forget to eat the whole day long. :)