Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:02 pm

I was just curious if anyone here on WP who's on the spectrum (can be diagnosed or undiagnosed) has tried either the GAPS diet, Paleo (Hunter-Gatherers diet) and/or Low Carb diet? If so, did it have any kind of effect? Let me know your experiences- I'm curious!

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:22 pm

So if someone eats healthier they feel better?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:25 pm

I like the low carb diet, but it's hard to stick with it because I'm living with my parents and wind up eating dinners my mom cooks.

But in general, I feel better avoiding combinations of bread, pasta, or potatoes. Low-carb doesn't mean no carb though. I'll have tomatoes or peppers or other vegetables along with leafy greens. Or add salsa or pico de gallo to my food.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2013, 1:30 pm

Delphiki wrote:
So if someone eats healthier they feel better?
That's the idea. There are no diets that affect specifically autism, but plenty of them that help a person's general health; and a healthier autistic person can deal with autism better.

I notice this with myself. If I get healthier food, I feel better. Unfortunately I have some issues with taking care of myself, and with getting regular meals. So, sometimes, the problem is the other way around: You're not getting a healthy diet because you have autism. That is more of a problem for an occupational therapist or aide than for a nutritionist.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

I'm on a low-carb diet right now, but not because of autism. Just because none of my jeans fit anymore. I have lost 6 pounds in a week and a half and feel a lot better. After a week or so on the diet I don't crave carbs anymore and I have way more energy. But you have to be sure to drink enough water, because if you don't it could be dangerous.