do you get tired from being around people?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:33 pm

did you ever want to be around people you liked and at the same time wanted to run away?
do you get tired and depressed from too much company? can you only handle people at very small amounts at a time and need a break in between?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:36 pm

Yes to all. Just recently I was really enjoying myself in the company of old friends (none of whom I see much any longer) and by the end of our meeting everybody kept asking me if I were all right, because I looked gloomy and depressed.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm

Constantly. I prefer it if the people around me aren't giving me attention, I much prefer to be an observer. Even then, I can only take so much before I need solitude and quiet.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 12:54 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
Constantly. I prefer it if the people around me aren't giving me attention, I much prefer to be an observer. Even then, I can only take so much before I need solitude and quiet.

i also prefer to be an observer. i prefer that if i'm around peope then we have something to do like walk together or cook, and this way i dont feel like i have to talk. can talk from time to time but not all the time. it can be exhausting.

undercaffeinated
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2013, 1:05 pm

Yes for all of it. I also get overwhelmed by the sounds of voices even when I'm not actually interacting with people, including voices on TV or the radio -- especially if I'm actually trying to pay attention to something. It's not just the amount of noise, it's also that I sometimes can't seem to follow what's being said but can't seem to ignore the sound either.

TheAvatar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2013, 1:06 pm

It happens, but the time I can spend with them varies on my pre-existing mood and the situation. Sometimes I'd rather not engage at all; sometimes it doesn't bother me for the longest time. I'll agree that "observer" is a great word; I'm much more comfortable and last longer as a listener, as passive.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
did you ever want to be around people you liked and at the same time wanted to run away?

No. I want to go away only when I'm with people I don't like, or with people I care nothing about, because they're so boring. I've never wanted to go away from people I like. That sounds more like shyness, and I'm not shy.
felinesaresuperior wrote:
do you get tired and depressed from too much company?

Not tired or depressed. Just completely bored, unless I'm with someone I like.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

I get exhaustion from face-to-face social interaction. Texting / emailing / forum visiting are ok.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

I was an observer all my life, I think that is how I learned so much from people on how not to act. The most bizarre and surreal has always been watching people in conflict or heated dialogue.

blue1skies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2013, 2:54 pm

Yes to all... School was torture to me. I couldn't stand being forced to interact with other people. Usually I liked to sit nat the back of the class and just ignore everything else. Even a group of three is too much for me to handle at times.

charlottez
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2013, 2:55 pm

YES!

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

Yes.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 2:58 pm

Absolutely. That's my answer to all those questions.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 4:13 pm

YES, definitely. I always think that, while I like some people, i'd rather not have to spend time with them, as it just leaves me so depleted. That sounds bad, I know...

jamgrrl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm

Yes. I used to think it was because I'm an introvert (INTP), especially after reading "The Introvert Advantage". That's a good book BTW. Goes into the science of the brain differences between introverts and extroverts, which I'm not sure if it applies to ASD? Anyway, it also talks about coping strategies for dealing with parties, extroverts, relationships, etc.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2013, 4:28 pm

Definitely.

I need a lot of time away from people to make up for the time I spend with them, because they are so tiring for me, and I have to work so
hard to stop blurting, to make myself concentrate, to work out what on earth they are saying, and to generally deal with the sensory overload that goes with people.

But I do miss them when I am away from them for too long - I'd make a rubbish hermit... !