Argument for Autism being a breakthrough in evolution

Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

wheresmyreality
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2013, 12:59 am

(I enjoy writing. Consider it fiction, an exaggeration, or whatever. It's my subjective perspective at the moment. I wanted a way to explain how I think to other people/friends so I just started typing. Not sure I'll use this, but it was fun writing it :lol: )

In order to understand autism you really have to try to understand a perspective that is unknown to you. Autism affects the brain. More precisely, it’s that autistic brains are different altogether. They perceive the world differently and also process information much differently.

To an outsider, you could only tell someone was autistic if they described to you the way in which they think. I’m going to tell you what it’s like for me specifically. Not everything may apply to all Autistics because it is a condition that has effects across a spectrum. But I believe many views would still be shared.

I view Neuro-Typical brains as viewing the world through a tunnel. In this tunnel you understand the world around you as it pertains to a specific context of time and perspective. Usually, the most common time-frame to view life from is your own personal lifetime and the perspective is obviously your own point of view. The thoughts that consume most of your time have to do with work, career, family, friends, social interaction, bills, vacation, and hobbies. This is what I consider “Neuro-Typical tunnel vision”.

An autistic mind recognizes the existence of this tunnel, but does not relate to it. I understand why it is important to you, but I don’t personally connect with this perspective. Nor do I relate to feeling confined to this particular tunnel. I view my environment from a much different point of view.

Because an autistic mind is naturally an “outside-of-the-box” thinker, it is not confined to the tunnel. It naturally wants to constantly expand it’s perspective and understanding.

Not to say a NT mind isn't also capable of this, but not nearly to the same extent. A NT will be able to expand their scope of perspective to reveal what I consider “enlightening subjects”. Math, Philosophy, Science, History, Politics, etc.. They may even become an expert in one, two, or several of these fields. But lack the ability to make connections b/w enlightening subjects, relate those connections with the tunnel, and/or fully grasp an understanding of the “bigger picture”. At some point, regardless of how smart you are, a NT brain views large volumes of information as overwhelming. It will naturally want to return to the tunnel vision. It is safe there. It is secure. Everything makes sense while your in the tunnel. Once you venture out of it, then things become less stable to your understanding of reality. It can be scary out there.

When an autistic brain expands its perspective to reveal the enlightening subjects, the way in which the information is processed is the key difference. A major indicator of autism is “intense preoccupation with a narrow subject”. What happens when I start exploring subjects and I find one that interests me is I grab that idea, create a tunnel around it, and put all my energy into understanding that subject inside and out. Nothing else matters when this happens. Friends, social interaction, hygiene, and even eating slips the mind.

Once I understand it, once I can relate it to other ideas, once I can put its concepts in a context of time that I can understand then, and only then, can I consider letting go and moving on. This is not always the case. Sometimes an autistic mind will become an expert in one of these fields and turn it into a career. Other times they will keep it as a reoccurring interest or hobby. My personal habit is to keep absorbing different subjects. Admittedly, sometimes I let go early, but they often reoccur later in my life and send me into another information binge.

What starts to happen when you keep doing this repeatedly with more and more subjects, is you begin to see you are constructing a new perspective in which to view the world around yourself with--A new level of context with which to interpret the world. Instead of now identifying with only your own personal life, you identify with all life. Instead of viewing the world through a time-frame of understanding as it relates only to your lifespan, you view the world as it relates to all of time. Instead of viewing the world as it relates to your own perspective, you can start considering all perspectives. When you are constantly operating from this point of view then the NT tunnel of reality becomes a joke.

You see it for what it is. It is a prison for the mind. The bars are not made out of steel. You are imprisoned with entertainment, distractions, and things you believe are important. And they are important. Because the tunnel of understanding from which you make that judgment from tells you it is important.

As long as the integrity and structure of the tunnel is maintained, you are willing to ignore things that should outrage you. Restrictions on constitutional rights, financial corruption at the highest level, NDAA, privacy, the TSA!, poverty, death camps. As long as these things don’t interfere with your tunnel, you are comfortable with turning a blind eye. As long as you can go party on the weekends, have a job, spend time with your friends, and have a bed to sleep in at night, then you are comfortable leaving the things that do matter in someone else's hands. Even if the people who you expect to fix these things are often the same exact people who cause these problems in the first place. If the very thought of that sounds illogical to you that’s because it is. The NT reality tunnel contradicts itself repeatedly.

I think a high-functioning autistic mind is capable of constructing a higher form of perspective, understanding, scope of expertise, and context for larger periods of time. I may be jumping to conclusions here, but I think an autistic brain is the next step in human evolution towards a higher form of intelligence. I’m not saying we are close to being there yet. And, I also don’t think the observable differences between the two brains are nearly as exaggerated as it could be one day.

I say this because an autistic mind thrives on access to information. The creation of the internet may have had a role in the identification of this trait, or the exaggeration of this trait. A genetic mutation that creates a brain capable of processing large amounts of information may not have been easily observable had there not existed an unlimited source of knowledge for that brain to explore to begin with.

This is why I believe we have yet to see what an autistic brain is capable of. The internet is still fairly new. The access we have to unlimited information is also still relatively new. Only two things would be necessary to see an even greater increase in the gap between NT brains and autistic brains. One, as medical professionals, as parents, as a society, the autistic tendency to enter tunnels of specialized information processing should be encouraged. Two, the delivery method for information, when perfected, will shorten the amount of time an autistic brain needs to stay in a specialized tunnel of interest.

Once we improve things such as search capabilities, quality of content, quality of sources, and accuracy of information, then I don’t need to spend months invested in a subject. I will need weeks, or days, or hours. You can see how this would quickly expand the scope of understanding for someone capable of processing information this way. Yes, this would also definitely expand a NT brain, but an autistic mind would take off exponentially and, well, leave everyone else behind in evolutionary history.

This is what human evolution is. It’s when a mutation encounters opportunity. Mutations happen all the time. Some good. Some bad. It’s when a mutation gives you a trait that is advantageous for your environment that we encounter some interesting results.

I have some other ideas about why emotional detachment is also advantageous. I like to create silly theories apparently. I also like to think I am super-human :D .

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 2:33 am

Defects aren't break through in evolution.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:05 am

My blog wrote:
A "scientific" theory I've heard bandied about in the autism community is that high-functioning autism (especially Asperger's) is actually the next step in human evolution--that since we have special abilities (which we often do), this must mean we are better than NTs... I disagree with this idea.

First of all, Asperger's does involve disability, even if some of the special skills/interests involved tend to cancel it out. Put any Aspie in a room with flourescent lights, a lot of people making small talk and wearing heavy perfume, and a droning air-conditioning system, and you will see the disability part of it!

Second, what about the rest of the Spectrum, as well as those whose special abilities do not cancel out their disabilities? Are they evolution's mistakes? And can we really afford to be so clannish as to say, "We're better than everybody else--but you people, who face the same trouble we do but don't have the same skills, are just mistakes"? Not nice. Also, it's just another way of trying to avoid the tag of "disabled", and thereby to make yourself look better... rather than working towards making "disabled" a neutral description of whether or not a person needs help to fit the society around him, which is what we all ought to be doing. I've said it a hundred times: Separating the Spectrum along some arbitrary high/low functioning line can only hurt autistics.

So... Asperger's: Special abilities. Definite advantages, but not the next step in evolution... so what is it? I propose that autism, Asperger's, ADHD, and many neurodiverse conditions which enhance abilities in one area at the expense of other areas, will increase as a function of specialization in the modern era... People no longer have to have general skills. Now that our society is so specialized that one tiny area of skill can be a person's entire profession, neurodiverse people who have those skills are more likely to meet, marry, and produce more neurodiverse children with similar skills--skills that society will, in turn, take advantage of.

I think the human race is slowly splitting up into neurological "races". Just as the different physical races developed when people lived in specific climates and developed certain body types to best take advantage of those climates, different brains are beginning to develop to take advantage of the niches in our specialized society.

All these specialized brains are considered "disabled" because they are not in the normal parameters, because in their areas of weakness they require help to live in typical society... We seem to focus only on the areas of weakness, and because we tend to define "disability" as something horrible, we think it's a bad thing to be specialized unless the other areas of skill are at least at normal levels.

My opinion--no, it isn't a bad thing. In the future, if the disability rights movement succeeds in granting the disabled the right to live and work based on their strengths rather than held back by their weaknesses--as it surely will, just as the civil rights movement did--we may actually have a society composed of people so specialized that the vast majority would, by today's terms, be called "disabled".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jan 2013, 3:14 am

I get a lot of what you say. The thing is, there is no need for anybody to be superior. I'm fine with ASD if NTs would stop making such a fuss about me being different. I think Society should get real with Being Different Is Okay. That would be a revolution in itself.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:29 am

I kind of agree.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 4:57 am

Nuts to all that.

You might have something if the Autistic were more capable to deal with society and life than those who are not Autistic, but that is simply not the case. Autism generally creates serious limitations on how its sufferers deal with life. All this baloney about how the Autistic are somehow better than everyone else is nothing more than mental masturbation.

I get the impression that you are trying to make yourself feel better by creating a fictional world in which you are on the top. The reality is that it is an upward fight every day for much of the world, Autistic and non-Autistic alike.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 5:03 am

By the way, evolution generally zeroes in on genes that confer some kind of reproductive advantage.

Autism as a breakthrough in genetics is not possible when there is no reproductive advantage to be gained by being Autistic.

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2013, 5:04 am

Interesting theory... but what would be the purpose?

I'm asking because evolutionary changes always happen for a purpose - they are ment to adapt an organism to its changing environment in order to ensure its survival.

Therefore, if Austism is an evolutionary step, it has to help us adapt to some major change in the environment. But what is that change?

Any ideas?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 5:13 am

Unseen wrote:
Interesting theory... but what would be the purpose?

I'm asking because evolutionary changes always happen for a purpose - they are ment to adapt an organism to its changing environment in order to ensure its survival.

Therefore, if Austism is an evolutionary step, it has to help us adapt to some major change in the environment. But what is that change?

Any ideas?

Survival only insofar as it leads to reproductive success.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 9:03 am

The concept of Autism as the Next Step in Evolution uses the tropes of Intelligent Design but in a non-religious way. Even so, it is really just Intelligent Design since it assumes that evolution is proactive and working towards a goal. At best it is a Lamarckian view of evolution. Evolution isn't goal opriented. It isn't a staircase or ladder with steps even though it can be framed to look like one retroactively.

What pushes evolution is reproduction. Survival is used as a proxy for reproduction but our species seems to be almost the single exception to that rule. We have managed to separate survival from reproduction to an extent that other species can't. Many survive without reproducing. Autism does seem to limit reproduction compared to NTs, although the Assortative Mating theory does propose that some NTs are actually carrying genes that confer AS traits that they may show up as BAP in the parents or other relatives if not actual autism. But BAP parents often reproduce little and late (Kanner noticed this, although he thought it was more neurosis than BAP). I am an example of this. So you couldn't actually call it a reproductive advantage. More like a way to not be bred out entirely by people who start having kids at 18 and have far more kids than BAP couples ever would.

So I don't think there is a strong argument that it is being favored evolutionarily. There is a good argument that many have made that it is helpful enough to be conserved in the population, rather than being bred out. Lots of traits get conserved even if they don't confer reproductive advantages to the individual. But that's not enough to make it a norm in the future.

I think a far more likely candidate for becoming a norm (common in the gene pool) in the future won't have anything to do with neurology at all. It will probably have something to do with our livers or any other organs that help with the detox function. We haven't yet hit a critical point but will in the future if we don't stop messing up the enviroment. If we continue messing up the enviroment, the reproductive advantage will go those humans (and every other species!) that can reproduce healthy offspring in the face of a large toxic load. I am extrapolating from plants and bacteria that are already doing this. We call it antibiotic resitance when bacteria do it. We call it pesticide resistance when plants (aka weeds) do it. The strong survivors of weeds and bacteria are the ones that clear antibiotics (bacteria) and pesticides (weeds) out of their systems. A similar push could affect animals including us, with reproductive advantage going to those who can clear the staggering amounts of enviromental toxins out of their systems and reproduce anyway. There are villages in Latin America and China (and probably other places too) where being the dumping ground for enviromental poisons has led to a huge increase in sterility and birth defects. The villages were chosen as dumping grounds because they are remote and poor. But this effect of sterility and birth defects could increase if we don't change our ways and that would force change by rewarding those who can detox with healthy offspring.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jan 2013, 9:11 am

eric76 wrote:
Nuts to all that.

You might have something if the Autistic were more capable to deal with society and life than those who are not Autistic, but that is simply not the case. Autism generally creates serious limitations on how its sufferers deal with life. All this baloney about how the Autistic are somehow better than everyone else is nothing more than mental masturbation.

I get the impression that you are trying to make yourself feel better by creating a fictional world in which you are on the top. The reality is that it is an upward fight every day for much of the world, Autistic and non-Autistic alike.

But wherein lies the difficulty? I do not argue for superiority, just parity. I know people think I'm odd, maybe even weird, and that's what makes trouble for me. If I wear my autism button, people are suddenly okay with me being odd (by their standards) and then life is a breeze.

I used to get fired a lot (I'm retired). It was mostly personality conflicts - heaven knows I was good at the work. The personality conflicts came from my being odd - sighing, for example. That drives people crazy and I don't know I'm doing it. If I could have had a quiet work space with proper lighting and nobody playing practical jokes on me all day, I would have been fine.

I'm not on the top, but what's pressing me down is society's ignorance and/or intolerance, which I think should be corrected - partly by websites like this one. And Alex's TV and speeches etc.

wheresmyreality
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2013, 11:32 am

Quote:
I think the human race is slowly splitting up into neurological "races". Just as the different physical races developed when people lived in specific climates and developed certain body types to best take advantage of those climates, different brains are beginning to develop to take advantage of the niches in our specialized society.

This is pretty interesting, too. I apologize if what I said offended anyone. I consider what I wrote mental "play". Yes. It may even be attributed to trying to make myself feel better. Who knows.

But I shall continue. My "fictional" universe beckons me.

Quote:
But what about emotional detachment? What about the inability to communicate and express oneself in social interactions? This is what puts people on the fence when trying to determine whether autism is a disability or an ability. When looking through a NT reality tunnel, then yes, this can be interpreted as a disadvantage. From my point of view, I see human emotion itself as being flawed. And the way in which we currently handle emotion needs to be altered if we plan to progress forward as a species/society.

There are of course very wonderful, beautiful human emotions. But it is with 100% certainty we can also conclude that all of the problems we cause ourselves and each other stems from human emotions. It has to do with how we process emotions. Right now the emotional response equation for most people looks like this:

Stimulus -> Emotional Reaction -> Behavioral Response

The problem occurs when the emotional reaction creates a compulsive behavioral response. All emotions have this in common. Whether it is love or anger, they both have the potential to cause irrational behavior and poor decision-making. In a world where we would like to value rational thought and logical reasoning, this is unacceptable. Or more accurately, in a hypothetical future society where we actually value rational thought and logical reasoning, this emotional equation is unacceptable.

In order to change this flaw we have to introduce another element into the equation to look more like this:

Stimulus -> Emotional Reaction -> Awareness of the Situation -> Rational Response

When you introduce awareness into a situation you are able to take a step back and consider your options. You can say to yourself, “I understand that what I am experiencing is a chemical reaction in my brain which results in compulsive irrational behavior. Now that I recognize this, I can choose what I want to do about it”. Your thoughts become more calculated.

For example, I'll ask you to stop breathing and follow my lead. Deep breath in through your nose. Out your mouth. Deep breath in. Deep breath out. Okay. Now go back to how you were breathing before. Go back to auto-breathing. Not that easy right?

When you introduce awareness into that situation you are no longer simply reacting automatically to a stimulus. You are now actively thinking about it. It becomes a calculated, deliberate, and an intentional thought process. You can control it. Or, as it relates back to my point, you can control how you respond to your own emotions. What we usually leave as a natural process can actually be manipulated and rationalized.

This is why I can see how emotional detachment could be interpreted as an advantageous trait. However, it depends entirely on which perspective you approach it from. Can it be characterized as a universal disadvantage just because it doesn’t fit the idea of what we think is currently normal? Or is it an advantage when considering how emotion could be perceived as a total fundamental flaw in how it effects our behavior?

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

eric76 wrote:
By the way, evolution generally zeroes in on genes that confer some kind of reproductive advantage.

Autism as a breakthrough in genetics is not possible when there is no reproductive advantage to be gained by being Autistic.

Whether or not something is advantageous depends on the context.

Right now Autism is a disadvantage and is not the result of evolution.

If the world situation changed so drastically that people with Autism were the most likely to survive it would become an advantage.

Right now NTs are favoured so Autism is actually a disadvantage given the circumstances.

Autism isn't a next step in evolution but it could be. At the moment it is still a good thing for humans as a whole that Autism exists. At least there is diversity.

wheresmyreality
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm

Quote:
Right now NTs are favoured so Autism is actually a disadvantage given the circumstances.

Autism isn't a next step in evolution but it could be. At the moment it is still a good thing for humans as a whole that Autism exists. At least there is diversity.

Agreed. I was only implying that it is possible Autism may be a step towards something. (Thinking positive!) But of course we won't know until time goes on. And yes, in the current circumstance, we're still trying to find our place in a Neuro-Typical world.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm

wheresmyreality wrote:
Agreed. I was only implying that it is possible Autism may be a step towards something.

Evolution doesn't go towards things. That implies intentional direction, which is Intelligent Design. Looked at retroactively you get the illusion of evolution being proactive but that's just a way of framing things to make it easier to understand. The observation that we went from single celled to multi celled to land dwelling to conscious etc. can make it seem like there was an end goal that evolution is going towards (thus requiring steps) but that is just an illusion created by the way we describe it to ourselves. There is no plan. There is no place we are going. There is reaction to current circumstances that helps reproduction or does not.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

eric76 wrote:
Survival only insofar as it leads to reproductive success.

This. I would say autistic people are severely disadvantaged in this area, due to our general lack of social skills.