Does anyone else have a lazy eye/strabismus?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Does anyone have a lazy eye or strabismus?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 25 ]
No 20%  20%  [ 7 ]
Other visual processing problem 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 35

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

29 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

I went to an optometrist who says a lot of my functionality (as opposed to social) problems (clutziness, bad driving, horrific sense of direction, etc.) is not because of my autism but because I have one eye that essentially is never used, so I don't have any spatial awareness. Apparently, I have strabismus also (my eyes don't move together; my left eye is turned out a lot of the time), which caused my left eye to shut off and never develop properly, in spite of always showing up as having 20/20 or better vision on eye exams.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem in ASD's, or if it's somehow related to ASD.

Last edited by Tyri0n on 29 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

I have a blepharospasm on my right eye (spasm of the mussels around the eye).
That's a rare neurological condition, but in my case it was caused through atypical antipsychotics. 8O
I also have paresthesisias in the right side of my face.

But I don't think there is a connection to autism and even if, than it's not a big one, but WP is big and you will find autistic ppl with very simmilar problems most of the time, even when there is no real connection.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

Your issues are the same as my son's including the slight far-sightedness. But I don't suppose that two people make something "common," do they?

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 12:11 pm

I don't have it, but one of my best friends does.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
I went to an optometrist who says a lot of my functionality (as opposed to social) problems (clutziness, bad driving, horrific sense of direction, etc.) is not because of my autism but because I have one eye that essentially is never used, so I don't have any spatial awareness. Apparently, I have strabismus also (my eyes don't move together; my left eye is turned out a lot of the time), which caused my left eye to shut off and never develop properly, in spite of always showing up as having 20/20 or better vision on eye exams.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem in ASD's, or if it's somehow related to ASD. Maybe not -- because I am slightly farsighted, which is not supposedly common for ASD.

I've got strabismus too; my left eye tends to wander, and my brain doesn't really use it. I had surgery as a child to correct it; the surgery lessened it some, but it's still quite obvious at times, especially when I'm tired.

EDIT: I have amblyopia, too.

Last edited by FishStickNick on 29 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

i have a convergence insufficiency problem and an alternating squint. I have one eye that wanders off to the side now and then and comes back to the middle.

I don't have good binocular vision and its partly why I am clumsy.

The other reason is I am not always good at judging how much pressure to apply to things etc.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 1:08 pm

i've seen a few forum members with this problem. that got me thinking about it. are there treatments?

EDIT: i am slightly cross-eyed and get frequent migraines.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

29 Jan 2013, 1:17 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i've seen a few forum members with this problem. that got me thinking about it. are there treatments?

EDIT: i am slightly cross-eyed and get frequent migraines.

Possibly, I'm just looking into it myself. http://www.aoa.org/x5411.xml. There's an ipad app called Captain Lazy Eye which, though it's designed for young children, seems to have helped with some of my issues. But it alone hasn't been enough, so I'm looking into getting help from a professional.

The slightly cross-eyed sounds like strabismus. I have both strabismus and lazy eye (amblyopia), and I've heard it's common to have them together. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strabismus. In my experience, simply exercising the weak eye with Captain Lazy Eye on the ipad has helped with the alignment as well. But I've heard there are separate exercises for strabismus, though I am still trying to get the money together to get treatment from a professional.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

I had it more when I was a child, and wore glasses as a treatment, which because of being different, I was bullied. It was also in my left eye, and it eventually got better, but sometimes it's noticeable when I'm tired. I think the reason I never had surgery is that the insurance my parents had didn't cover it, and it was too expensive for them to pay for out of pocket.

As an adult, I do wear glasses now, but that's because I need them to see things in the distance, and that includes for driving. The thing as an adult isn't an Aspie thing, as most of my NT family members started wearing glasses by adulthood. It's just the genes I have, nothing more.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jan 2013, 6:15 pm

I do have Strabismus, along with Nystagmus and Ptosis. I wear glasses that help with my Strabismus and Ptosis. But the Nystagmus can't be corrected with glasses.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2013, 8:14 pm

I'm nearsighted (myopic) and have a lazy eye(left eye). Lights seem to have halos at night or in low light even with my glasses on. And I can't see in low light as well as most people so I tend to keep a lot of lights on so I can see which annoys my parents. It also makes playing a lot of video games that have dark areas where other people would be able to see and I can't. I usually turn the brightness up high if I can for those games.

Also I notice I close my left eye a lot when outside because the sun is bright. I see mostly out of my right eye and if I had to I could function quite well without my left eye if I had to. When that eye is closed I often don't even realize it. I'm also the only one in my close family(parents and siblings) with blue eyes though that may not mean anything. Everyone else has brown or green/hazel eyes in my family.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

29 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

I've got really bad Astigmatism in my right eye that's gotten worse over time (my left eye has slight Astigmatism which has gotten better). Even with those issues, my eyes just never seem to focus right, even when I'm wearing my glasses.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

EB wrote:
Also I notice I close my left eye a lot when outside because the sun is bright. I see mostly out of my right eye and if I had to I could function quite well without my left eye if I had to. When that eye is closed I often don't even realize it.

I do the same exact thing. 8O I close one eye and squint with the other.

fossil_n
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2013, 9:57 pm

My left eye is lazy (Amblyopia). When I was four years old I wore patches to correct it and then glasses up until about the age of eleven. It isn't noticeable now except when I am tired. When I am tired my left eye will turn in a bit and I can feel my right eye straining to make up for the left eye.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

I voted "no", but I have incredibly slight ocular ataxia due to my ataxic CP. It's so slight, not only does it not affect my life at all, but an optometrist would have to be looking for it to even notice.

Drebi
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2013, 10:28 pm

I have Amblyopia and (Exotropia) Strabismus in my left eye, I also have Myopia in my right eye.
I hope to eventually get surgery to correct the Strabismus (purely for aesthetic purposes).