Pretty sure I don't meet the DSM V.... What to do...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

06 May 2013, 9:32 am

First of all, I do meet the DSM IV criteria for Asperger's, as has been confirmed by professionals. Is it common for DSM IV aspies not to meet the DSM V criteria?

Quote:
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

Quote:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction

Speaking in monotone.

Quote:
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

Yes.

Quote:
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)

I don't know.

Quote:
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

Lack of sharing and expressing emotions.

Quote:
(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

Quote:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus

Yes.

Quote:
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

No.

Quote:
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

No.

Quote:
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

I don't know / No.

DSM V

Quote:
All three of the following:

Quote:
1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,

Monotone voice + reduced showing of emotions and reluctance to share personal information. This one probably counts.

Quote:
2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated-verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body-language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.

I don't know. I was told at one therapy group I did not have issues here. Unless maybe the stuff I mentioned in the first one covers this one as well. So maybe lack of facial expressions at times? But even here, I've been told they are fine...So...

Quote:
3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

Yes. Definitely.

Quote:
B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. Stereotyped or repetitive speech, motor movements, or use of objects (such as simple motor stereotypies, echolalia, repetitive use of objects, or idiosyncratic phrases);

No.

Quote:
2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change; (such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food, repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes);

I don't know. I don't like some types of change. That's for sure. I don't really have rituals, though.

Quote:
3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (such as strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests);

Yes.

What would be a good way to document that I don't meet the DSM V? Due to DSM IV restrictions, I have had trouble getting diagnosed with BPD in order to get insurance to pay for the therapy for that simply because of my AS diagnosis? Would I simply go to a professional and ask about the DSM V?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 9:55 am

What to do?

Get re-evaluated by an appropriately-trained and licensed mental health professional who is more than passingly familiar with the DSM-V.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:03 am

Yes, and diagnostics do not necessarily follow clearly defined parameters. Be sure to get a reputable and good diagnostician. Your closest family members, even school teachers or neighbours, might be able to offer their insights as well.

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:06 am

I don't meet most of the criteria now, though I did when I was younger.

So, now, I just abandon labels like aspie and just enjoy being me.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated-verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body-language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.

I don't know. I was told at one therapy group I did not have issues here. Unless maybe the stuff I mentioned in the first one covers this one as well. So maybe lack of facial expressions at times? But even here, I've been told they are fine...So...

Monotone voice counts for this, not for 1. (Reluctance to share information does count for 1, however, so you have both.)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change; (such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food, repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes);

I don't know. I don't like some types of change. That's for sure. I don't really have rituals, though.

Do you have more trouble with change than most people do?